Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen Under Hammer action, very nice !!!

Boolit Master

Allen Under Hammer action, very nice !!!

I bought an Allen under hammer action, it is very nice. The trigger is nice out of the box, and could be tuned by a competent 'smith easily. The top side is sized for 1" octagon barrel.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the build as it progresses.

Boolit Master
    I cannot post a image .jpg.
    OK, I made the pic smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180325_190926.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	217085

Name:	20180325_190950.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	217086

Name:	20180325_191200.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	217087
    Last edited by kens; 03-25-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Thumbs up

Always have loved these under-hammer design of rifles. Managed to find an un-fired "Heritage" target model in .45 that was bought by a fellow many years ago as a "wall hanger" and so of course I bought it immediately. Still sitting in my gun cabinet ... I really need to get out and shoot it one of these days!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Here is couple more pics different sides
    it appears to be lost wax casting, it could be browned as is, but a little draw filing and polish it could be bright blue.

Name:	20180325_193246.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	217088

Name:	20180325_193338.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	217089

Name:	20180325_193348.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	217090

It will be fun to watch your build proceed.

I just put together a H & A Under Hammer. I chose it so I could change the barrels. Is that possible with this action?

Keep us up to date.

Boolit Master
    Yes switch barrel would be easy, any rifle up to .62 cal or shotgun up to 20ga

Boolit Master
    Im thinking of this barrel contour

Name:	bbl-20-36_1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	217124

That is nice barrel. I am using a similar profile for my 20 ga barrel. Mine has only one wedding ring band. Your picture looks like it has two rings, is that right.

Boolit Master
    the barrel maker quoted me as 3 rings. that photo came from a catalog, I been speaking directly with the barrel maker.
    Stay tuned !!
    it will be very similar; part octagon, part tapered round to the muzzle

Boolit Master
    Nice action and setup. I like it.

Boolit Master
    I used an Allen action when I built up my under hammer a couple years ago. I had Pecatonica River install my barrel as they did that and then cut the dove tails for the from globe sight and also the barrel lug. The barrel has to be torqued on and I don't know how much so I let them do it. The also had an unusual piece of very dark striped maple so I bought that from them and had them drill the stock for the attachment bolt. I have a picture or two on here I think?

You can adjust the trigger pull very easily as I was shown how. You'll need a trigger pull scale (great excuse to buy one!) and remove the trigger assembly and there is a rod to the trigger with a nylock nut on it. You turn the nut one way to increase and the other to decrease pull. I forget which is which, sorry. I got my pull to exactly 2# which matches my Gibbs rifle and as you found the pull and break is great. I polished the whole action including the trigger guard but not the trigger with 4 coats of OxPho blue and did the barrel the same.

My barrel is a straight hex, 45 caliber fast twist and I shoot 540 grain paper patch bullets and it is great out to our range's max distance of 300 yards. Since the action and barrel together weigh very little I found the rifle kicked badly with 80 grains of Goex FFG so I put on a recoil pad, I am getting old and the shoulder can't take as much as before!

The last thing I did was to use a shotgun 209 adapter so I did not have to worry about the cap falling off and no residue on the rifle. If I can help in any way just holler.
    John
    Last edited by oldracer; 03-27-2018 at 12:15 AM. Reason: changes

Boolit Buddy
    How would this action work with a round barrel? I have one (barrel) and have been eyeballing this type action. Just wondering.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    How would this action work with a round barrel? I have one (barrel) and have been eyeballing this type action. Just wondering.
    as you can see, the top of the action accepts 1" octagon, the bottom of the action has no shape (as far as barrel concerned) you could certainly use a round barrel, you would just have either the barrel standing proud of the hex flats, or, the hex points proud of the round barrel.
    I think you could dress down the offending edges with a small radius and be just fine.

Boolit Master
    Here are a couple of pictures of the one I finished in May of 2016. I added a palm rest so I can shoot it off hand in Schuetzen matches?! I asked our local gunsmith who is pretty much an expert in all things black powder and he said swapping the barrels can be done but they have to be torqued each time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Under Hammer 1.jpg   Under Hammer 2.jpg  

Boolit Master
    how does the forearm attach to the barrel?
    and,
    is that the stock wood from Pecatonia?

Boolit Master
    The barrel has a dove tail cut into it and Pecatonica River has a fitting they sell that fits snugly onto the barrel. I used a fine thread machine screw (nothing exotic) bought from a near by Lowes and a washer from door panels off an antique Porsche to fasten it down. The forearm needed a slight amount of scraping and it fits just a bit snuggly. The shape is aa standard one they sell but the pieces of wood were un-naturally that dark so all I did was put on a couple loats of sealer and then 25 coats of automotive lacquer. LOTS of sanding......good Lord an awful lot! They told me a about the wood when I was setting up what I wanted as I bought the barrel from a young fellow in WI and he sent it to them. I was happy to let them mount the main stock as you can see in your bottom picture of you second post the shaping of the wood to fit would be a hassle and then you have to drill the hole for the mounting bolt. They did it perfect, great guys!
    Last edited by oldracer; 03-27-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Grand Master

Great looking rifle. I had a couple of H&R's that I wish I didn't sell...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a 1" octagon, 4140 steel, 34" length, bore/groove for .32-40.

Boolit Master
    I imagine this will be a 32 caliber muzzle loader? Not sure what bullet you would need and if you are going to paper patch it or have a bullet with grease grooves but in any case it should slide down the barrel easily. I guess you are familiar with both single shots I.E. the 32-40 where the bullet is groove diameter and with a muzzle loader the bullet is bore diameter. In this case the twist rate should be fine but some load development will probably be needed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast