RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Smell when shooting hitech

Boolit Bub

Smell when shooting hitech

I was wondering if I should be smelling the hi tech coating while shooting. Smells roughly like when it's cooking in the oven. I only ask as the color of it off but even across all the boolets, like I received the wrong color powder in the correct container. First time I have used it, passed both the smash and acetone test. Slight leading but nothing different than regular lubed boolets. Thank you for any help

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I've never noticed any smell from shooting, once it's been cured at the correct temp. and time I thought the stuff was, to all intents and purposes, inert.

The colour can vary a little due to higher temps and/or longer cooking times.

Boolit Master
    Have you checked the temp of your oven? Those dials can be off a lot.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Bub
    Checked the oven this morning and it was 100 degrees too hot probably the cause of the dark color. I'll run another batch this afternoon and see what happens

Yep, that'll do it every time!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, that'll do it every time!
    Batch run color looks great pass both tests. Now to see how they shoot

I’ve never used the hi tek coating. I can tell you that you can sometimes smell HFR when shooting and the wind is right.

Boolit Man
    To me.........PC seems to have more odor while shooting than HT.. in any case it is slight. the smoke from bullet lube is far more obvious. One thing I must say tho is that I never shoot indoor ranges.

lazs

Boolit Master

signing on to see about results

I could understand leading if they were undercooked but overcooked should not have affected coating

now to see if this WAG pans out at the range
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

If you extend the baking time but keep the temp correct then they may darken slightly, but that's all that will happen.
    If you bake at a higher temp (but not too high) then they will darken - I've actually done that to vary the colours a little.
    If you bake at too high a temp then they will definitely darken and may be unusable - at least, that's what happened to my first batch! I don't know what the temp was but I put the tray right under the top element, not a good idea!

I haven't noticed any smell using it but I shoot outside.
    Last edited by Cue; 04-02-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Yes, hitech coated bullets smell different when fired than jacketed or traditionally lubed bullets, at least too me.

This is most apparent to me in 9x19, much less so in 45ACP (both in revolver and semi pistol).

I have not tried HiTech with 38SPC/.357 or .44 SPC/MAG yet. I still have thousands of conventionally lubed bullets for those cartridge calibers.

I’ve only ever used black HiTech.

I follow the HiTech direction exactly, including verified convection oven temp and bake time.

All bullets pass smash test; which of course they always do if the product user follows the directions.

Boolit Man
    I have been shooting a lot of HT coat bullets in .357 and 44 spl and 44mag and 45 acp and have not noticed any odor at all but again.. I am shooting outdoors.. even so.. there is no breeze and my friends have not commented on any odor.

lazs

Boolit Bub
    I have shot a lot of hi-tek bullets in 9 and mine did have a smell especially when shooting fast. They smelled like burnt plastic but it wasn't too bad. I did have a couple RO's question what I was shooting though

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had commercial HiTek bullets that had that smell. That was in 9mm between 900 and 1000 fps. I'd read that sometimes the burnt plastic smell came from under baking, not overbaking. That was then. Commercially HiTek coated bullets in the past few years haven't had the smell, though my sample of vendors was limited. Now I do my own. At 420 degrees for 12 minutes, the coating (black cherry) adheres well, does what it is supposed to, and doesn't have that burnt odor on firing.

Boolit Master
    I also bake Hi-Tek at 420 deg F for 12 minutes and don't get any smell when shooting, I mostly use Candy Apple Red and Bronze 500.

Boolit Mold
    What powder are you using? I know I’ve heard of Tite group smelling with coated boolits.

Boolit Master
    I have been using CFE Pistol for my 9 mm and Vihta Vuori N-310 for the .45 auto.