Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: problem with new single seven

Boolit Buddy

problem with new single seven

so I'm at the range today with a few of my revolvers and I'm firing my single seven and out of the blue after firing a round I go to pull the hammer back to re cock for the next round and it wont pull back all the way . so I noticed the cylinder base pin is part way out, I pushed it back in and fired the rest of the rounds in the cylinder without issue . so next time I go to shoot it it does the same thing again , it ended up doing it several times while finishing up the box of ammo I was shooting . I wasn't shooting anything warm out of it just a powder coated lee 90 gr swc bullet over 4.2 gr of green dot . I did pull the pin to make sure there wasn't any crud anywhere causing it not to latch and found nothing . I later ran a whole box of 50 rcbs 98 wad cutters in 32 h&r cases through it with just a mild charge of 2.2 gr of bullseye and the pin never came out . i currently own 2 ruger black hawks and have owned other ruger single actions over the years and have never had this issue in the past , but from what I'm reading on line its pretty common . i plan to call ruger on Monday and see if they'll send me a new pin but I'm wondering if the latch assembly should be replaced also ? if so i have no idea how to get the old one out .

Boolit Bub
    That issue was fairly common with some of the first Single Sevens. To remove the base pin latch, you will need a special bit. I would just call Ruger and let them address the issue. I would be shocked if they did not take care of it.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    It happens. I emailed Ruger; they sent me a new pin and latch assy. Worked exactly the same, worked it's way out after a few rounds. I got to looking at the latch engagement to the groove in the pin, the groove is not in the right place. I widened the groove on the pin using a dremel stone very judiciously with several trips to the range to verify. Mine stays in place now.

Boolit Master
    Actually, the easiest & best thing is to use a chainsaw file (or a round file of the proper diameter,) to gently deepen the base pin latch groove.

I tried deepening the existing groove, keeping the same width. Didn't change. The groove is slightly too far forward to allow the cross bar in the latch to drop far enough into the groove; that's rectified by extending the groove back toward the cylinder a minor dimension. I didn't measure before I started but it took several test firings and a touch more attention with the dremel. Stays in place now, even with heavy bullet full charge hand loads.

Boolit Buddy
    from what I'm reading online I'm thinking of just going with the belt mountain base pin . I plan on giving them a call after work tomorrow . they don't have 1 listed on there sight for a single seven though I'm guessing since its the same frame one for a single six would work ?

I considered a Belt Mtn. pin, as I was frustrated with Ruger and my trial and error. I got it to lock in so I never followed up. If/when you change to a Belt Mtn. pin please post your thoughts on here after you've put it to use.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Actually, the easiest & best thing is to use a chainsaw file (or a round file of the proper diameter,) to gently deepen the base pin latch groove.
    +1 I have two Single Sevens and was very frustrated with having to send a brand new gun back, So when the second one started acting up, I put the rod in my cheapy drill press at the slowest possible speed and using the aforesaid round file, I deepened and slightly widened the base pin latch groove. A little bit is all it takes, so cut for ten seconds then give it a try. A cordless drill might work well for this as you could do it at the range. Cut and try, then repeat.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

I have three blackhawks and all have belt mountain pins. My SSM 32 H&R has never needed one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    update ........ I called ruger and explained the issue with the revolver , they sent me a new pin it arrived earlier this week so I went ahead and put it in . in the mean time I tried calling belt mountain several times over a few days and got no answer , no voice mail , not even an answering machine . I have no idea if they will take phone orders ,there's no way to order off there web sight other than printing an order form and sending it in with check ,m.o , or cc number , what is this 1985 ? so I ended up ordering a power custom pin from grandmasters llc . I was off work Friday so I went back to range Friday morning with the single seven with the new ruger pin in it . I shot a couple cylinders full and it seemed fine ,then on about the 3rd or 4th cylinder full the pin popped out . I ended up running about 60 rounds or so through the revolver and pin popped out a couple times ,its not as bad as original pin but still not fixed . in the mean time my new power custom pin showed up in sat mornings mail I went to put it in and it wont fit in the cylinder ,it fits the frame fine without cylinder in but not the cylinder itself. it will start in the cylinder about a quarter inch or so but that's all the farther it goes and its very tight . I'm sure with a couple thousandths shaved off of it it would be fine .so now I'm not sure which way to go ,have new pin shaved down a bit ? send it back ? try to mod the replacement ruger pin ? I don't think it will take much because it is much better than original . ive always been a big ruger fan and I still am but people shouldn't have to go through things like this to make a new gun function to factory specs . I really wish now I would have kept the single seven I bought a few years back when they first came out it worked flawlessly and I liked the 7.5 inch barrel better than the 5.5 I have now .

Boolit Grand Master
    Take the afore mentioned small round file and deepen the notch in the worst of the Ruger cylinder pins. You have two, so even if you screw up you still have one. Alternately, shoe shine the Power rod with a strip of 400 grit sand paper slightly wider than the cylinder is long. Just sand the portion to go into the cylinder. Alternate directions up and down and side to side, do it for about a minute then wipe the pin clean and try it in the gun. Repeat as needed.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 04-03-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

my single seven had the same issue and a Belt Mountain pin fixed the problem. Kelye can be hard to get a hold of but if you print off the order form and send it with a Money order or check then you will get your pin.
    Jesus gave me everything when he gave me salvation.
    CBOB0690

Boolit Man
    +1 to LSCG ! Just got my #5 basepin from Belt Mountain for my SS7 Bisley, Had it in less then 2 weeks!! Works like a charm, as always!

Boolit Buddy
    I had the same problem -- fixed with extra power latch spring

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SIN...D52/dID228#418

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LSCG View Post
    my single seven had the same issue and a Belt Mountain pin fixed the problem. Kelye can be hard to get a hold of but if you print off the order form and send it with a Money order or check then you will get your pin.
    What is this....1985 ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

This is Montana. It takes 3 days to get a letter from here to there but it takes 6 days to get it from there to here. We do not have broad band everywhere and we have a lot of holes in cell phone coverage too. We've had 7 months of winter here in this part of the state. It works, whatever it may be, but it takes longer, here!!!
    There you have it........1985!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I actually had the same type of problem with a Blackhawk in .357 some years back. It had been used hard, and when I aquire it, upon firing heavier loads the base pin would work out. I tried the filing first (with the OEM pin), but found my only recourse was a Belt Mountain pin. And I do beleive, even back then....yep just send in your order and goods things will show up in a bit.

And I am just over in North Dakota.......
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Buddy
    after my last post later on that day I decided to measure the new power custom pin and the factory ruger pin .the difference was so small I knew it wouldn't take much to get it to fit . I wrapped a scotch bright pad around the pin squeezed it tight with one hand and spun the pin inside the pad with the other for about 10 min or so then tried it in the cylinder . it went in farther but not quite all the way . so I repeated the process for about another 10 min and it fit . so after I got it to fit I test functioned the revolver it all seemed to work fine I took the pin back out and lightly polished it with a soft cotton buffing wheel on a dremel and some flitz polish and put all back together . I haven't shot it yet I plan on heading back to the range today after it warms up a bit outside .