RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HARBOR FREiGHT

Boolit Master

HARBOR FREiGHT

I just walked thru a Harbor Freight that is new to our area. It was most discouraging. There is no way we can ever compete with those people. Among the many things I saw that were really cheap was a woodworkers bench. It was very solid with four drawers on roller bearings. It would make a great reloading bench and it cost $160. They are having a sale next week when you can get the bench for 20% less. I looked at a leather belt that was two inches wide complete with buckle and holds punched, adjustable from 32 to 40 inches for less than 8 bucks. Last year I made two belts and I paid over twice that price just for the leather. I saw a spotting scope that went fro 20 to 60 power with 45 degree eye piece for $44 and the man said if I come back next week I can get it for 25% less. I wont tell of all the other things I saw. Just too depressing. I know, many will chime in and say, it's all junk but what I saw was not junk.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I bought a powder coat spray gun yesterday. Marked down from 109 to 74 and then a 20% coupon made it $60.Plus got a free head lamp flashlight thing.

I have several tools from them,no issues, but if I made my living with tools then I would look elsewhere.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Vendor Sponsor

For Homeowners most of HF tools are fine .. like said above if tools make your living buy better quality or expect to replace
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Been using the spotting scope for several years works fine. They have gone up as I paid $29.88
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Some things are great, others not so much. Bought one of their heat guns a few weeks ago. Used it once, tried it again and no go.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Many of the Pittsburg hand tools have a lifetime warranty.

Almost all my tow straps and chains are from HF. Going out this week and buying .30 cal size plastic ammo cans for $4 ea.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I concur with smoke. For the moderate hobbyist HF is fine. Side note i have broken Just as many Snap-on and Craftsman tools working on things. Snap-on normally has the tool contracts at work. I buy quality when i can, but when i need tools and i cant afford 15 bucks for a socket i got with the cheap imported one.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    Some of their tools are of good quality, I buy HF to try a new tool I'm not sure I want/need. IF I like what it does and it doesn't hold up I'll upgrade to a better brand. I have a handfull of tools I never needed to upgrade from, and some I returned after 1 use .

They have a "new " line of more expensive tools I guess to compete with the big boys

For the tools around the house for Momma to leave outside, HF is good enough. 99.8% of the tools on my truck , are name brand. Any tool can and will die at the most inopportune time. My Rigid angle grinder just "quit" yesterday. Barely a year old.

Boolit Master

Well rigid is made in china, like every other electric tool. " Horrible Freight" is ok for most home owners, if you make your living with hand tools dont know what to say. Bought Craftsman, Snap On and Mac from the mid 70s until retired. May have taken a screwdriver back and ca Craftsman socket but no others. Son is getting just about all in a few weeks, mig welder, torch set, roll around tool boxes. Keeping just the basics. Craftsman is made by the chinks as are some Snap On and Mac. I give up, glad dont have to deal with this do do.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Agree with all the above and never go there without the 20% off and freebie coupons found in many magazines and online.

Boolit Master

I've been using the HF powder coat machine for several years. With the coupon I think it was a bit over 50 bucks worth every penny. Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I think you'll find most of thier products are probably made in the same places that the big box store products are made.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I use one of the benches you mentioned for reloading. I've got everything mounted using threaded inserts in the top so I can remove them and use the bench for other things.

Boolit Master

some of their stuff is fairly decent, some of it is garbage. you have to do your research, and determine exactly how good you need the tool to be.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I'm have bought a lot of HF tools , anything that is electric (drills , grinders , die grinders ) is junk if your going to use it daily . But there are a lot of good deals .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

I buy a great deal of stuff there. For someone that may need a tool for once or twice paying for a Snap On or Mac makes no sense. It's a great place to get tarps, zip ties etc. Stuff you should have on hand but not need everyday
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I bought their 3 ton floor jack, it works great, and was less than $200 out the door.

Boolit Master
    I will not buy anything electric from them.
    I bought a heat gun that I needed in a pinch from them many years back, the second time I used it I got lots of sparks and smoke out of it.
    A few years back I bought a portable band saw and it gave up the third time I used it.

On the other hand I have a ball joint press from them that I have used Way more than I ever wanted to that I have never had issues with.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

HF doesn't have stocking store in every major area without sales and profit. Complain as you will, Sears KMart and many others we depended on, are shrinking or gone along with their branded products.
    The Chinese are great at producing at a price point and quality that sales. They make more profit than American made even with the 20% off coupons that are everywhere.
    For the average consumer that replaces a doorknob, light switch, or facet washer once a year, why have a fortune tied up in expensive tools?
    Each quality has its niche, and good enough, is good enough, for those that that push pincels instead of twisting wrenches.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy

We have a hard time making things to their price point, because of their labor and government practices. The whole point of import tariffs, was to allow local manufacturing to compete with countries with cheap or slave labor.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast