WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 7.62 x 39

Boolit Buddy

7.62 x 39

Is the 7.62 x 39 a good round for cast bullets? I don't have an AR type rifle to "spray lead"...I want to shoot for 100 yd. accuracy in a bolt action rifle. Input please!

Boolit Master
    This is a quest of mine also. I have the CZ 527 and it has a wonderful cast bore.

I have ordered the Lee 160 grain tumvle lube gas check mold and have about 10 other molds to try including a 311410 (Lyman and Mihec versions) and some 32-20 molds.

I'll be watching this thread with interest... Dale

Boolit Master
    I have a pair of Ruger M77s in this caliber, and in my minimal testing, it seems to show promise, sub 2" groups with a 3x scope at 100 yds, with the first loads I tried, which were "enthusiastic". The short neck however is certainly not a plus for the round in my opinion, at least if you like the GC inside the neck, and not a ton of exposed lube grooves outside the neck. This limits boolit designs quite a bit.

I have a CZ527 with a Leupold 2X7 scope and load an NOE 311-155 GC sized to .312” on top of 14 gr of 4227 and am getting 1 1/2” groups at 100 yards. This bullet design allows for the bullet to be loaded long enough that the gas check is still in the case neck. I had shoulder replacement surgery mid January and have not had time to squeeze the groups further but bullet and rifle show promise.

Boolit Master
    Powdercoat your boolits and the exposed Lube Groove problem goes away.
    A friend " Armoredman " on this forum has been shooting Cast in his CZ 527 for years, and has had excellent results, with Lubed and PC'ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Powdercoat your boolits and the exposed Lube Groove problem goes away.
    A friend " Armoredman " on this forum has been shooting Cast in his CZ 527 for years, and has had excellent results, with Lubed and PC'ed
    Except for the ugly part

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Brazilian 1894 in 7.62 x 39. Barrel is a Douglas 1x14 premium, 24" long. With a custom tight throat I shoot the RCBS 165gr silhouette bullet over IMR 3031, Remington small rifle cases. Will shoot sub 1" 10 shot groups when I do my part.

Bill

In Remembrance

I am loading the Lee 310-155 2R gas checked boolit in my AR using nearly full cases of IMR 3031 or IMR 4895. I am getting excellent accuracy and perfect functioning. I need to get a scope mounted on my rifle for longer than 50 yard shooting. I am getting 2" 10-shot groups with iron sights. Boolits are cast from a Lee 6-cavity mould of 50/50 COWW and Lino then water drop quenched. Sized/lubed .311. Still experimenting soI haven't chronographed these for velocity. 7.62X39 appears to be a very good cast boolit cartridge in the AR platform, it could only be better in a bolt gun!

Boolit Master
    Cast bullets will shoot very well in the 7.62x39. I've been using them in a Ruger bolt-action for more than twenty-five years. I've used various weights up to around 210 grains or so, but now use only a HP version of the Lyman #314299; in ww alloy this weighs around 200 grains.

lotech's experience with a version of Ly. #314299 mirrored mine in a Type 56 SKS. I wouldn't be surprised if it also performed well, if not better in a bolt action 7.62 x 39mm.

I have a Ruger American in x39 and the lee 150fn PCed and GC sized to 312 will shoot 1” at 100 5 shoot groups with 21.5 grn of IMR4198

Boolit Master
    Watching this with interest, only my 7.62x39 is a Ruger NO1. I'm still waiting on my rountooit to work up some loads. Somewhat of an issue with my molds is the .312 throat and .300 bore. Noses on my .312s are too big, may need a new mold, dog gone it....well Its getting warm finally so may get to shoot some. Anyone recommend a 312 dia with a 300 nose , kinda like the 31141?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

rking22, Although #31141 is easier to find, the Saeco #315, with is a tapered, truncated cone nose and Loverin like lube grooves (~175gr., gas checked) or the NOE clone of it may be worth considering too. As you know, with the NOE mold, you can specify the exact diameter you want with the alloy you use.

I really like the NOE Ranch Dog in my SKS. It can only be better in a bolt action. It was made for it. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1733
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    geeeez I love the x39 with cast and LVR. Now I am thinking I need that Ruger American in x39 to go with my other guns this dumpy looking cartridge. Remember Larry Gibson did alot of good testing for us some where in the archives here.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Maven, reminded me I have a Lyman 311466?? 155 gr Loverin. Anyone tried it for non hull checkers in the x39?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos