Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: .400 Cor Bon

.400 Cor Bon

Does anyone have one? I've been wanting a 10mm but I realized I can get that performance with a barrel and recoil spring change on one of my 1911s.
    What say you, anyones?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I remember when CorBon came out with this cartridge. I always thought it to be interesting,but never got the chance to try one out. I will be interested in hearing others experiences.
    Last edited by tranders; 03-26-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I went the 40 Super route years ago and love it, been thinking might try 400 Corbon but haven't put together everything yet.

I've got a .400 Cor-Bon barrel for one of my 1911's, but haven't shot it in awhile. I had the best luck with bullets in the 150 to 165 gr. range, and I didn't care for the 135 gr. loads at all, at least in my pistol.

Forming the brass is easy. You just lube it a little and run it into the .400 Cor-Bon sizing die. I found that Winchester and Federal brass from a few years ago was heavier brass and made better .400 Cor-Bon than some of the thinner brass, such as Remington. These days, Starline makes their .400 Cor-Bon brass for small pistol primers, but I haven't tried any. I've got about 2,000 Small Pistol Primed .45 acp brass, so I may have to size some down and give it a try one of these days. So many projects, so little time........

Loading data is rather limited, and most of what you find was the original data worked up by Cor-Bon years ago. I talked to the Cor-Bon reps at the SHOT Show a couple of years ago and asked if they had worked up any additional data? The rep I talked to said they hadn't done anything at all with the .400 in several years, and kind of considered it as something they "used to do". At least that was his reply, and I haven't talked to them since then about it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I had one in an AMT (5" BBL) that shot the 135HP very, very well at about 1350fps (chrono'd). The things I really liked about the cartridge was the ease of reloading (one pass of .45acp through the die), ease of feeding from the .45 clips (because of the bottleneck cases), easy recoil in a standard 1911 frame, and the reliable functioning with most bullet/powder combinations. I'm not a big .40 cal fan and sold the pistol to a friend, but would buy another BBL in a heart beat.

Will it push a 180 gr 1200 fps safely?

Boolit Master

I have a Drop In Barrel for .400 Corbon that fits in my Springfield 1911 and used to shoot very well. Have not had it out in several years. Used to load a Lee 175 Grain boolit. Cast using a Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 401-175-TC 40 S&W (401 Diameter) 175 Grain Truncated Cone. Used 6grains and up to 7 grains of Unique for loads.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and it shoots well enough. The neck is really short on the round so I use a heavy taper crimp. Longshot gave the best performance for top loads. Unique worked well too.

I shoot 180s from my glock 21 with a lone wolf 6.5” barrel PCed and sized to .401 I use a lone wolf recoil spring kit as well... so be very careful but I’m shooting the 180s to point of aim at 50 yards.... I killed a deer 2 years ago with it at 40 yards broad side a little fork buck and it smacked him so hard he got pushed over on his side

Use at own risk!!!!!
    8 grn of H longshot
    Lee 401-180tl
    Pc with HF red
    45 acp spp brass
    CCI small pistol primer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	217066
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	217067
    I bought 2k spp federal brass and run them through my Dillon press like normal a empty 45acp goes in and a loaded 400 Corbin comes out it’s a great cycle, now I did drop a 10mm remer in my 400 to give it a little throat to load my bullets out longer...

43pu

Great info and thank you all.

Boolit Master
    200gr data is not something I could find, probably same issue you run into with 357 sig, short neck, and OAL reduce case capacity. I have looked at the Corbon several times, guess where it comes in is its a simple barrel swap in a 45 1911. No mags required or issues with breech face like 10mm in a 45 gun. Its also lower pressure than 10mm so not supposed to beat up the frames. And easy to make from 45 brass. Bottlenecks feed pretty good in a 1911. So if you own a 45 1911 and want a 10mm to, 400 corbon is not a huge investment.

I have a second 1911 w a 10mm/40 breechface. Mags etc, running 357 sig in it now. So its just as easy to buy a 10mm barrel. Which can be run w 200gr easy. The one I was interested in was the 40 super. Messed with 45 super in my blackhawk w 45 acp cyl.

Boolit Master

I have a 6" drop in barrel for my 1911. It shoots well, I have about 100 rounds of 400 corbon brass that I use for heavier loads, small primer 45 acp reformed for starting load plinking rounds. I really like it, it will equal 10mm up to about 175-180gr. I wouldn't use heavier boolits than 180gr however as it begins to encroach into the powder space too far.

I haven't shot that barrel in a few years, I should dig it out and play with it some.

Also as an FYI I use a carbide 45 ACP die to size the body and just bump the shoulder back with the 400 corbon die, no lube required doing it this way. Just like using a 40 S&W with 357 Sig.
    Last edited by Moonie; 04-03-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Boolit Master

I have a 5" 400 Corbon barrel for my Govt model 1911. I found I prefer the 145gr bullet over the 170gr bullet for range use. If I was considering using it for deer, I might consider the heavier bullet but the 145gr SWC does it for me. I use the stock 45ACP spring but I don't hotrod it either.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I just bought a Swenson 5" 400 Cor-Bon barrel for my 45 ACP SR1911 CMD, the only "goof" i have is i ordered the wrong size barrel link, i will say this about the Swenson barrel (minus the installation of the barrel link) fit like a glove in my SR1911 CMD.
    Last edited by silvermane_1; 07-16-2019 at 07:50 AM.

what spring rate are you guys using?

Boolit Bub
    This seems like a caster's dream cartridge. Easy on the gun, low pressure, wide range of bullet weight. Good to me, it's way out of fashion. Reamer was on sale at PTG, dies were cheep on E Bay. Everyone has a million p's of brass. Maybe it's too easy? I get a kick out of having something I can shoot out of 1911 and an AR. So well see. Anyone else still putting holes in cans with one?

yup.. from a conversion barrel in a HK USP .45 and it even works with the standard spring. word is the gun holds up to .45 super w/o a problem. i used to form brass from .45 ACP but recently got me a couple cases from starline. let's see how the small pistol primer ones work.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg