RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identify these WWII firearms?

Boolit Master

Identify these WWII firearms?

My grandpa took a lot of pictures in WWII as a tanker. His unit was very highly decorated and I was told that the movie "Fury" was based on various exploits of WWII tanker units; grandpa's being one of them.

I was sharing pics of grandpa's .45 S&W revolver, which the one from the movie is a copy of, and ran across a few photos of various pistols, rifles, and submachine guns that I didn't know the identity of. Of course I recognized the M1 and Thompson, but wasn't sure of the others. Maybe a P38?

I figured there has to be some WWII firearms buffs here that would know...

Attachment 217002

Attachment 217003

Attachment 217004

Attachment 217005

Attachment 217006

And of course grandpa's prized revolver featuring grips he carved from the windscreen of a downed German plane...

Attachment 217007

Boolit Grand Master

The sub is a MP40

I never really thought about what they would have to do with all of the captured weapons. Did they have a bunch of Privates scurrying around and cleaning them up off of the battlefield? How were they disposed of once collected? Maybe I should go Google before I hijack Idaho's thread.

Always interesting to see old photos, thanks for posting them.

Boolit Master
    My dad and his twin were WWII veterans of the Pacific War.
    Their old campaign books show Japanese small arms that were surrendered. They were stacked in Higgins boats and dumped at sea..
    EDG

Vendor Sponsor

Those grips are the ultimate statement of victory. Likely the only pair in existence made from a Nazi aircraft!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

You are correct that the 1st photo is a P38. and I wonder by the disks on the stocks of the rifles in the 3rd photo if they are Mauser 98's?
    Valley Forge

Yes K98s converged from WW1 G98 rifles

The Red Army had units that were devoted to recovering anything useable from the battlefield. Quite a bit of equipment switched sides on the Eastern Front.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

The top picture is pretty blurry but it looks like a P-38. The next is either an M-1 or M-2 Carbine. The big stack of rifles look like Mauser's. The Sub being fired looks like a MP-40. It also looks like a MP-40 and a Thompson laying by the Jerry can. You Grandfathers pistol is cool and the grips make it even better! Those Guys truly were the Greatest Generation, not to take anything away from any Veteran.

Boolit Master
    p38,m1carbine, pile of 98 mausers,mp40, mp40 front Thompson rear. s&w 1917.

Boolit Master

My grandpa brought back a few items from over there. Notably a couple of Mausers and bayonets. I was fondling one of the bayonets last week when in my dad's gun room. I was told since I was a kid that it was taken off of a dead German soldier. I looked it over for any Nazi proof marks and found nothing other than various numbers and letters that didn't seem unusual.

One Mauser was given to my uncle and the other to my dad. My uncle's was lost in a house fire in the 70's. My dad still has his, but I haven't seen it since I was a teen in the 80's.

Boolit Master

The krauts had letters for the mfgs. Look it up on line. Theres a whole world of collecting their stuff, usually big $$$$$.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10-x View Post
    Theres a whole world of collecting their stuff, usually big $$$$$.
    I really have no interest in making money off of the couple of items grandpa brought over. Just seems to cheapen his memory.

In Remembrance

My older half Brother served in Pattons 3rd Armored in a M - 3 `Stuart` light tank. He had several disabled under him during the war. He had different `trophies` he found or relieved soliders of during his time over there. All he brought home was a P-08 in matching serial holster and extra clip.Robert

Boolit Master

Please make sure nobody tries to rip off your pops by offering to take that old war junk off his hands. Thanks for the post neat stuff!

Boolit Master
    The grips on the revolver are called Sweetheart Grips. I learned that on this forum while researching the grips on a St. Etienne 8mm (Lebel) revolver that I bought. They were made from the windshields, windows, etc of downed planes, and soldiers would slip photos of their wives, girlfriends, etc under the grips. You can see the ghost outline of an old photo under the grips on mine.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...etheart-grips/

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    The top picture is pretty blurry but it looks like a P-38. The next is either an M-1 or M-2 Carbine. The big stack of rifles look like Mauser's. The Sub being fired looks like a MP-40. It also looks like a MP-40 and a Thompson laying by the Jerry can. You Grandfathers pistol is cool and the grips make it even better! Those Guys truly were the Greatest Generation, not to take anything away from any Veteran.
    You are correct!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Idaho, wasnt implying to sell the mementos, just there is a huge collecting community out there. Not sure how you took my post as that? I collect US militaria from WWII - Vietnam, no interest in the nazi stuff but know many that are. Have several fighting knives GIs made scales for out of A/C plexiglass, pics of wife or girlfriend underneath. GIs had lots of time on their hands. Good you know and value these mementos, make sure they stay preserved and the next generation values them too.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

It is nice to see the guns. I have some items of my uncle that was KIA in the south Pacfic . I will not let go. One of them is the manual of the M1 date in the 1940's also his flag that he was buried under. it have 48 stars on it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

If you want to know what happened to all the captured weapons read....Ordnance went up Front by Dunlap. many were fixed or refurbished and give to the local militias or police forces if a town was captured and now safe for the Allies. It's a great book and a real eye opener to a lot of myths about the weaponry. Well worth the read and it very "readable".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast