RotoMetals2PBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    Thanks, just did.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pressonregardless View Post
    Thanks, just did.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	680 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	221542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	680 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	221542

Boolit Buddy

I've been bugging my lgs for a blued single in .44 Mag since last fall and they can't seem to find one. Handled one in .243 and the gun was impressive but the trigger pull was heavy with lots of creep.

Make mine blued in 30-40 Krag please. Good looking guns.

Boolit Buddy
    When word first got out about the initial chamberings I contacted them about 357 mag. Their response indicated they would keep it in mind but there were no current plans, my summary. I sure hope they do and I would love to see youth sized stocks. I was lucky enough to get one of the last 357 handi rifles and I put a youth stock on it. That is for my oldest son but since then we were blessed with twins. I need a couple more...rifles that is.

Boolit Master
    I examined a .223 and noticed that the hammer had a very strong spring making it difficult to cock. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have an opinion about cutting the hammer spring to make cocking easier?

Talked with them yesterday.
    .41 Mag isn't in the schedule yet.
    Sooo, time to look around for an alternative .41.

Boolit Master
    Cocking the hammer requires more force than I've observed on other single shots. Did Henry over spring these rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Cocking the hammer requires more force than I've observed on other single shots. Did Henry over spring these rifles?
    So I completely disassembled mine over the weekend, and I think that they did overspring it. It also adds alot of weight to the trigger pull with the sear having to overcome so much tension. I almost cut the spring down a few loops. I hope someone makes a spring kit for it eventually.

I am going to be taking mine to a gunsmith to have them take a look at it. It's not terrible, but being a single shot where I have to pull the hammer I would feel fine with a 3lb trigger. Right not it's up in the 10-12lb range.

I still really like the rifle, I'm just ready to make mine special to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I went to my LGS in Columbus and they didn't have a single shot rifle in the house, new or used..... I did get 1K primers.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

I've been looking for a blued steel in .44 mag with no luck at all locally...not even at Cabelas. I found one on the internet and messaged the seller about how the trigger pull was. He said it was definitely on the "heavier" side (estimated 7 to 9 lbs.) but didn't actually put a gauge on it.
    I'm hoping someone on here will post their experiences with getting a clean 4 to 5 lb. trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    I've been looking for a blued steel in .44 mag with no luck at all locally...not even at Cabelas. I found one on the internet and messaged the seller about how the trigger pull was. He said it was definitely on the "heavier" side (estimated 7 to 9 lbs.) but didn't actually put a gauge on it.
    I'm hoping someone on here will post their experiences with getting a clean 4 to 5 lb. trigger pull.
    I am working on it. I am going to shoot it more and see if it smoothes out, and I'm in the market for a trigger gauge.

My experience it seems higher than 7-9 with my rifle. I wanna say 10-12. But I'm going to talk to a gunsmith and see. I wish someone made a main spring for it, it's extremely heavy and it's what pushes on the sear. I don't use military primers on 45-70 I don't need that super heavy hammer. I have considered ordering a replacement spring and cutting mine down a few loops and polishing the sear surfaces without changing the angles and seeing if I can get it down to a 3-5lb pull... I know cutting springs isn't the ideal way to handle it but noone makes that spring I've found.

I wish someone with a Henry lever could measure their springs for me and see if that hammer spring is the same. If it is, I believe companies make the spring kits for the lever guns and I could pillage the springs from one of those kits.

Has anybody bought or shot a 44 mag Henry yet. Let us know how it shoots, please. I am getting the itch. Wish they made a 45 Colt with a 1/20 twist.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

So side note, Henry fixed it. I sent it back and they did a wonderful job on it.

Also, they just announced some pistol calibers and 30-30 in this rifle

Quote Originally Posted by funigui View Post
    So side note, Henry fixed it. I sent it back and they did a wonderful job on it.

Also, they just announced some pistol calibers and 30-30 in this rifle

How did the rifle group? Did you shoot cast boolits in it? I am curious about the accuracy.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

This was at 100 yards with jacketed bullets (tighter group), and I got an inch with some 457193 (I think that's it, Lyman 500gn RN government profile bullets) so it shot both very well.

Banned

megasupermagnum has the RIGHT spring for henry h015 rifles, listed over in the CB classifieds.

the fix is a piece of cake. remove the buttstock, unscrew the spring tube, remove both the outer large diam. and inner small diam. springs, insert the new 31# spring, put it all back. it's like a totally new rifle for a much lighter trigger and hammer pull. this is the way these guns should be leaving the henry factory, not with a 50# set of springs!

Boolit Master
    That's a pretty piece of wood in that buttstock. Gf

I'm looking for it now, do you know what it's listed under? I may just have to dig a lite
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    megasupermagnum has the RIGHT spring for henry h015 rifles, listed over in the CB classifieds.

the fix is a piece of cake. remove the buttstock, unscrew the spring tube, remove both the outer large diam. and inner small diam. springs, insert the new 31# spring, put it all back. it's like a totally new rifle for a much lighter trigger and hammer pull. this is the way these guns should be leaving the henry factory, not with a 50# set of springs!

That IS a really nice piece of wood and the accuracy is not too shabby either. Is the receiver steel? It sure looks like an under $400 rifle to me. As soon as I get over my total knee replacement on the 7th, I think I'll be looking for one of those. Maybe whine enough to get them to make a 454 with a 1/20 barrel to compliment my 290 gr NOE mold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast