WidenersPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Henry Single Shot Rifles

Boolit Master

Henry Single Shot Rifles

Have seen and handled three in the last two days at two gun shops, a 308. 243 and 223. Prices were $380 (243 and 223) and $425 (308) and was surprised at how nice they handled and the quality of the wood. Very dark walnut with good figure on two and really nice wood on the third. Only negative was the trigger, had almost a two stage pull. When squeezed it would move back and stop, and then squeeze a bit harder and it would break. Pull was not excessive weight wise but the two stage effect was a deal breaker. Had the trigger been good either the 243 or 223 (best wood) would have followed me home.

Saw two models, one with sights and one without. WO is less expensive. Been thinking about one in 308 to shoot cast. They are a bit heavy for their deign as they are also made in shotguns.

DEP

Been waiting for them to chamber in .41.

Two stage triggers don't bother me as I sometimes hunt with old Mausers, so I am used to them. I would have to choose between the .44 Mag and 45-70. Henry did us a favour by giving their .44 a 1:20 twist.

Boolit Master
    When I said two stage it was not the Mauser/Springfield type of two stage, more like the trigger was hanging up on rough spots as it moved. If it were like a Mauser or Springfield I would have been happy.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That might just be a burr that will wear off . probably an easy fix for a gun plumber if you was in a hurry .

Seen one in .357 yet ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    As much as I like break action guns, if I'm spending $400, I am NOT spending it on an H&R type gun,,,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    As much as I like break action guns, if I'm spending $400, I am NOT spending it on an H&R type gun,,,,,,,,,
    And the other $400 options are ???????

Boolit Master
    The brass option of this gun is more along the lines of fine single shot stalking rifle they are really nice well built. Worth every penny.

I wonder how that brass butt plate would feel when attached to a 45-70 with Ruger level loads? Has Henry said what pressures these rifles can handle?

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    And the other $400 options are ???????
    Thompson Center, Traditions, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg,,,,,,HI Point,,,,Kel Tec,,,,,,CVA,,,,

If you mean single shot only, then T/C, Traditions, CVA all make SS's sub $400.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...3_20_pkg_blblk

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...c_black_stk_bl
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Thompson Center, Traditions, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg,,,,,,HI Point,,,,Kel Tec,,,,,,CVA,,,,

Didn't mean there weren't any sub $400 rifles, but show me one that is single shot, all steel, walnut, not flat black and with sights......just sayin'. Personally, I think the CVA Hunter is a great deal, but the extra "quality stuff" on the Henry is well worth the price. Picked up a Compass for a little over $200, ugly as can be but a great shooter. Just my opinion.

I have one of these, and I have quite a few other single shots. I do have to say the feel of the rifle is quality. The trigger smoothed out a lot in just a box of ammo. I can post up some pictures and this weekend im going to try and put some of my handloads through it. Last time I took it out, i was just breaking in the barrel. I was shooting at 25 yards offhand and overall it handled great. The action when I got it was very stiff. It has started to break in, and its getting better as time goes on.

I did have one issue, which could have happened to any rifle. After I shot 40-50 rounds, the stock had come slightly loose. just enough where I could feel it if I grabbed the stock and wiggled it. I re-tightened it, and put another 20 rounds downrange and since then it has been rock solid.

Overall, so far, I think it was worth the money. Also, I paid 365 out the door for it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm diggin' the .44 in brass myself.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The plastic stock Traditions costs the same or more and doesn't come with sights. For most of the Handi's tenure, it's main appeal was being cheapest new rifle with decent accuracy one could buy. If all you want is an accurate and inexpensive rifle I wouldn't even bother with any of the single shots. The Savage Axis and T/C Compass cost less and probably outperform them in every way.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Master
    I have an older handi rifle in 30/30. The blued model Henry sure looks nice. I prefer single shot rifles.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I would love to find a T/C Encore or Contender in Walnut for $400.

Banned

i think these henry s/s rifles are great news. they appear to be well built, USA walnut stocks, and in a decent cartridge assortment. they ain't no H&R. i prefer the steel ones, with pistol grip. i also agree with another poster on this thread - a .357mag chambering would be the cat's meow for me to compliment my S&W j-frame.

Are they ever going to run any in 30-30 ?
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pressonregardless View Post
    Are they ever going to run any in 30-30 ?
    request that ...

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-firearm-suggestion-box/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast