Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need more lead! What are the latest best sources?

Boolit Master

I need more lead! What are the latest best sources?

I have gotten my lead from three sources so far. Amazon, Buffalo Arms, and my dad.

Dad had some bilge weight lead of unknown hardness that I mixed in with some Lyman #2. Seemed to work fine.

Amazon had some Lyman #2 for $25 for 5lbs and free shipping. So $5 a pound.

Buffalo Arms sells Lyman #2 for $2.77 a lb and shipping for 7 lbs is $18.39 (I live 80 miles from them). So after shipping, their cost per pound is $5.40.

But, if I double my order to 14 lbs (only sell it in 7lb increments) then the shipping stays the same and the per pound cost drops to $4.08 a pound.

At that rate, it costs me about $.15 per boolit.

I can buy cast boolits cheaper than that, or close to it. That's based on a 250gr .45 Colt boolit.

There's got to be a cheaper source for lead, right?

Boolit Master

Have you gone to your local scrap yard? I waved a little cash at my local scrap yard and obtained about all I could haul for .60 per pound. We've become freinds and he saves me a little pile on a regular basis. I will admit I did bring him a Chirstmas cheer just to keep the wheels lubed.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Check the vendor and swapping and selling sections here. Usually find all you want in nice clean ingots, ready for the pot for under $1.50 shipped. If you want certified alloy, rotometals at the top of the page on the vendor banner is half what you have been paying, cheaper and free shipping on bigger quantities.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

I would recommend buying COWW or range scrap from a CB Vendor like Kathy, AKA: TheCaptain or another member from the S&S section. But you seem to mention Lyman #2 a lot, so I suspect that's what you want?

Rotometals (a banner sponsor of our website) sells Lyman #2 for $16.99 for 5 lbs. Buy larger quantities for sizable discount.https://www.rotometals.com/lyman-2-b...in-5-antimony/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    There's almost always lead in the swappin and sellin page here. And if you don't see what you want, put a WTB ad in there. There are lots of guys sitting on more lead than they'll ever use, and some of em are even old enough to be willing to sell some of it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    If you buy from Rotometals they run around $15 for 5 pounds and if you order at least $99 worth they ship it to your door for free. Not as good as finding your own lead but not bad either.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Look to buy COWW from the forum and some Linotype when available. scrounge a little pewter at thrift stores and alloy your own

Lead alloy calculator
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870

you can do a hardness test on the lead to have an idea what you're dealing with

Economical way to easily test lead hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Boolit Master

Check the Vendor sales here first and then check with Rotometals before you go to the Ebay or Amazon routes. Most of my tire shops here in Indianapolis are nearly impossible to purchase from as they get excellent deals from two local scrap/recycle yards and I'm not ready to pay retail for filthy wheelweights and whatever else they toss into the buckets to weight it down.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Message: jetsfan-24. He has good lead, ships it fast and it's priced well.

Boolit Master

Great suggestions; thank you!

Boolit Master

Don't forget you can recycle range lead. There a few indoor ranges i been meaning to call. I will clean their range for lead if the will let me. Always a berm, dirty yes, but i can shovel and reclaim more in an a few hours than most can afford to order. I made a sifter out of half priced 1x4 and chicken wire.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I picked up about 150 to 200 lb's of range scrap last year. I hope to have at least 100 to 150 lb's after cleaning. I need to find a scrap yard with one of those things to tell what is in it so I will know what I have add to it. I was thinking I will use it for handgun stuff and melt all the handgun stuff I cast up from WW's to use in my .308 .

I have bought ingots from vendors here and have had nothing but positive results. Clean and ready to cast and you are doing business with the "family" whats not to like?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Message: jetsfan-24. He has good lead, ships it fast and it's priced well.
    Agreed. I have purchased from him more than once. Good product, well packaged, prompt shipping.

Boolit Master

My dad mentioned his cost is around $2 a pound as he buys it by the pallet and casts around 40k boolits a year as a sub-contractor. I think I will see if he will sell me some of his commercial casting stock. Last time I asked, he didn't want to part with any of it and gave me some of his bilge lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My dad mentioned his cost is around $2 a pound as he buys it by the pallet and casts around 40k boolits a year as a sub-contractor. I think I will see if he will sell me some of his commercial casting stock. Last time I asked, he didn't want to part with any of it and gave me some of his bilge lead.
    It will likely be 92-2-6 alloy. Good alloy for many uses but a bit hard for hunting. BTW, it is what I bought when I decided to buy a ton. It can be cut with softer alloys. I got mine from Mayco Industries. $1.67 delivered about 6 years ago.

Range lead is often cheap if you can get it. But I have bought lead from the vendors on this site

At anything over $3.00/lb I would buy bullets...but that is me.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Nice dad

If you can buy some 92-2-6 from him scrounge some pure and cut it 45 colt doesn't need that hard an alloy

Boolit Master

When ordering lead even you have to take into account shipping. Sure a $1 a pound sounds nice but add shiping and its goes to $1.25. Still inexpensive as compared jacketed bullets. However if i can source local lead for less than 1.25 a pound its all money saved. When you start racking up weight it adds quickly.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Tire shops...small or large , if you have a shop you buy your tires from...start with them.
    Otherwise , drive to all the shops you can find and ask them about buying old wheel weights.
    For decades I got all of mine for free, my best friends father owned a tire shop, then my friend went into the business. I bought all my tires from them. Both have retired and I now have found a few shops that will sell them to me at the price the recyclers pay them. Next place is the scrap metal salvage yards for scrap lead. I mix the COWW with lead 50-50 , this makes a good alloy for casting boolits.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

There are many sources of lead. A lot of us casters are scroungers. You have to look for it. You have to always be on the lookout for it! Ask your friends, family and co-workers to be on the lookout for you. Ask at your local tire shops. Check prices at your local recycling places. Run an ad in your local paper or on your local swap shop. You can buy good alloy here in the swapping and selling section for $1 per pound plus shipping. You have to plan for the future and try to stock pile a stash before you need it. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast