Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need more lead! What are the latest best sources?

Boolit Bub
    Wheel weights use to be all lead. These days if you get a good price on them, you will find that a good 1/3 or more will be steel. At least in my area that is what I am finding now. I had a good source for WW years ago for .15 cents a pound. Print linotype was .30 cents. Oh the good old days.

Boolit Man
    I just got into casting so I didn't have a lot of lead. I went to a bigger town to all the tire shops. I found 1 big tire shop I gave them 4 5 gallon buckets. There going to let me have all I want free. You can find it you just have to look hard

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Message: jetsfan-24. He has good lead, ships it fast and it's priced well.
    he's my first 'go to' source here. Great packaging and clean product

I figure several years back I was willing to pay a bit more and skip the smelting process. Time vs. $$ vs. effort needed all came into play
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Just received 58 lbs of recycled bullet lead from Rotometals $95 delivered little low in tin percentage wise so I order a lb of tin as well to mix in came to $113 total.

I just sold 700 lb. for .50 a lb. Told you I was selling out ?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Buy your Pb and alloys from folks on here! Good people and reasonable prices.

I find my Pb and alloys at several local scrap yards...they sell to businesses and the public for a buck a pound....including Sn and solder!!!!!

Boolit Man
    I've purchased Hardball 92-2-6 from Acme Bullet Company at $2.10 a pound.

Boolit Master
    Visit all plumbing companies big and small. You will be rewarded.

Boolit Master
    ID45, your posted location is the WA / ID border; I can hand deliver nearly 8 lbs of lead to you if you are close to Post Falls ID ? (No charge - but would be happy to trade for some .38Spl boolits if you'd like.)

Boolit Master
    Next time your in Lewiston stop by pacific steel & recycling they will sell it to you, limited to what they have on hand but my brother-in-law has scored on 2 ocasions a 5 gallon bucket of linotype and once he got almost a bucket of 1 lb ingots presumably wheel weight alloy ready for the pot. They sell it for spot scrap price.

Boolit Master
    Also diamondback indoor shooting range in Lewiston used to sell 2lb ingots of their range lead smelled down and ready for casting, haven't been in there in a while but worth it to poke your head in the door and ask if your in town.

Boolit Master

Totally forgot about Pacific steel. I used to buy scrap aluminum diamond plate from them all the time for projects. The only problem with them is they are not open on weekends.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 1000lbs of roof flashing from a friend in the hardware business a number of years ago. It takes some doing when you move, but the quality is excellent and the form factor convenient.

Boolit Master
    I've made some good buys on Craigslist. I look for a guy selling any reloading equipment, and inquire about any lead he would want to sell. My shed has got a good supply of lead and Linotype as a result.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried the re-claimed shot from Rotometals for bullet lead?

Super Moderator

Guys, just a reminder...Please don't make any offers to sell lead on this thread!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    Have you gone to your local scrap yard? I waved a little cash at my local scrap yard and obtained about all I could haul for .60 per pound. We've become freinds and he saves me a little pile on a regular basis. I will admit I did bring him a Chirstmas cheer just to keep the wheels lubed.
    That is about what I pay here at the scrap yards for plumbing and roofing lead but I will pay more for sheets of isotope lead which I know is pure and quite clean.

Boolit Master
    I found a commercial lead product maker one state over (5 hour drive) and bought myself 1000 pounds of 96-2-2. I was having only limited success scrounging locally and none of the recyclers will sell lead, so I figured I would just buy a big batch and be done with it. I don’t regret it, and no telling how many hours of work I saved by not having to sort out the zinc, smelt, flux, etc.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I have gotten my lead from three sources so far. Amazon, Buffalo Arms, and my dad.

Dad had some bilge weight lead of unknown hardness that I mixed in with some Lyman #2. Seemed to work fine.

Amazon had some Lyman #2 for $25 for 5lbs and free shipping. So $5 a pound.

Buffalo Arms sells Lyman #2 for $2.77 a lb and shipping for 7 lbs is $18.39 (I live 80 miles from them). So after shipping, their cost per pound is $5.40.

But, if I double my order to 14 lbs (only sell it in 7lb increments) then the shipping stays the same and the per pound cost drops to $4.08 a pound.

At that rate, it costs me about $.15 per boolit.

I can buy cast boolits cheaper than that, or close to it. That's based on a 250gr .45 Colt boolit.

There's got to be a cheaper source for lead, right?

Good luck. other than the 5$ a pound online sources.. your best bet may be to stumble on it locally at yard sales.. or hoping to find an honest seller here and maybee get some range scrap ingots.

my local recycler will no longer sell anything..

Got my last 72.5# score from a reloader that sold his house and moved and needed to ditch weight. this was last month. I felt extremely lucky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast