RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingPBcastcoLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Use of Lyman 311466 for pping

Boolit Master

Use of Lyman 311466 for pping

Ran out of .30 gas checks and decided to go with paper patching for a while. The 311466 isn't a bore rider and went thru the Lee push thru .303" die with no apparent unwanted distortion. Will this design work for pping? I have been looking for a sale on the NOE pp designs but have not figured out when the sales occur. It's been awful quiet around here for a while; you folks out shooting or what?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

No expert here and no experience with that boolit but I'd say it is a good candidate for PP'ing.

What is your bore diameter? The general rule of thumb I've read and followed is that the boolit should be bore diameter or a hair over then patch to groove diameter... or size to groove diameter after patching which may work with the 311466.

The NOE moulds and the old NRA PP boolit design was to produce a 0.301" boolit so bore diameter to about 0.001" over for standard .30 cal.

In my limited experience I found that the mould I made that cast at 0.301" (a smooth copy of the NRA PP boolits) then patched to groove diameter in my .308 worked well but the same boolit patched with slightly thicker paper did not work in my .303 until I knurled the boolit up to bore diameter. I didn't try going larger in either gun so bore diameter + 0.001" for me.

At 0.003" over you may be okay and it is worth trying but you may find that you have to size the boolit smaller or size after patching.

Like I said though, I am no expert. Give it a go and see how it works. You may do just fine as is.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I have patched thousands of them and it works well for me.
    The many grooves hold the paper well.
    I have only a single mould and when it starts casting well I just keep at it till I have a pile.
    I seat it by finger and prefer not to have to size the wrap to go into my fired brass.
    If at all I avoid cleaning /annealing /sizing /flaring and working my brass.
    I do like a gentle chamfer into the neck thou.
    A case full of powder slow powder and a Dacron nub for a debulleting and all is well.
    A small brass rod knocks out a bullet if needed.....but since it’s left breachseated in there just replace the case.
    I don’t do a great clean up.
    A couple of wetted patches with reds red and a dry one does it.
    Another to pro text the bore and it’s done.
    I’ll leave all the complex loading and cleaning procedures to others.

Hope it helps.

Boolit Master
    The 788 .30-30 has a bore dia. of .302" (as best I can determine without a set of pin gages) so should be o.k. with .3032" boolits. Groove is right at .309" so I am trying tracing paper and am not used to not sizing the wrapped slug. I'm going to try 'em unsized and thanks for the tip on the dacron tuft; it sure makes a mess when one sticks and you have to extract the case.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    There seams to be two range of thoughts.
    See what works best for you.
    A thou over groove sized pp bullet seated out to kiss the lands .
    A pp that fills the throat and butts up to the forcing cone/ leade.
    A chamber cast help here tremendously .
    But like fickle women it will tell you what it likes most.

I have no green bar paper.
    But found some real cheap computer paper which is a bit thin to work well for me.
    Good quality lined school book pages work good too.