Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many still use the handheld reloading equipment . . .

Banned
    I use the Lee hand primer while I watch tv I still recall my dad coming home and yelling at me "is that all you are gonna do is sit and watch tv?" I get a big smile every time I think back on those days.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a lot more " Hand Tool Loaders" out there than I thought.
    Now that I think about it, besides using the Lee Hand Press for the standard sizing , decapping and boolit seating, I also use it to deprime cases with crimped in military primers , belling case mouths , seating primers and sizing boolits. That little hand press can do a lot .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I’m on vacation at the coast, with my portable reloading kit, I’m working on 38, I’m using my 310 tools.

I use the lee hand press sometimes. I aint old though, and aint been loading for years. I just like the idea of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    For those of you using or considering the “hybrid” method of handloading with a portable press like the Lee, I would suggest you might want to look at Randy Buchanan’s fine press or it’s conceptual ancestor, the HDS Compac. Both do much the same as the Lee, but they have a little more style and should last just about forever.

All of the hand presses have one common characteristic though... you must develop a technique that keeps your fingers out of the way! Truth to tell though, I’ve pinched my fingers with a 310 tool, and who among us hasn’t smashed a finger with a hammer or mallet such as would be used with the old Lee Loader?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Frog,keep meaning to get over to your place....it's what,1/2 hr drive?

I'll shoot you a note or call next week.BW

I have been reloading just about all of my ammo for the last 2 years using my Hand Press. I can do it at the kitchen table and watch TV instead of the cold shop.

This tool produces ammo as good or better than any bolted down tool. It takes up little space and is a joy to use. All my Reloading Kit fits in a small duffel bag.

People tend to think of portable reloading tools as something only people who can't afford the real thing get. I'm here to tell you that the only thing you give up buy converting to this method is the need for a permanent bench for your hobby. The benefit of being able to do it anywhere, is a pretty big advantage.

The precision and hi end materials used in the manufacture are second to none and the tool will last for a really long time. Probably outlast the original buyer easily, so it can be passed from generation to generation, kind of like you would do with Cherished Guns or other precious things.

There is one other factor here that is peculiar to my Tool. That is the joy you get from using a quality tool for doing something you like to do. It is called "Tactile Gratification." Same as driving a nice car or Motorcycle, or running a nice machine like a Bridgeport. It feels good to use it, and as a result you are more likely to use it more.

I'm going to go use my Bridgeport right now.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I have been reloading just about all of my ammo for the last 2 years using my Hand Press. I can do it at the kitchen table and watch TV instead of the cold shop.

This tool produces ammo as good or better than any bolted down tool. It takes up little space and is a joy to use. All my Reloading Kit fits in a small duffel bag.

People tend to think of portable reloading tools as something only people who can't afford the real thing get. I'm here to tell you that the only thing you give up buy converting to this method is the need for a permanent bench for your hobby. The benefit of being able to do it anywhere, is a pretty big advantage.

The precision and hi end materials used in the manufacture are second to none and the tool will last for a really long time. Probably outlast the original buyer easily, so it can be passed from generation to generation, kind of like you would do with Cherished Guns or other precious things.

There is one other factor here that is peculiar to my Tool. That is the joy you get from using a quality tool for doing something you like to do. It is called "Tactile Gratification." Same as driving a nice car or Motorcycle, or running a nice machine like a Bridgeport. It feels good to use it, and as a result you are more likely to use it more.

I'm going to go use my Bridgeport right now.

Randy

I will second this . Only thing to add is, It looks darn good. When not in use it is displayed on my bench.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

I prime every cartridge I load with a RCBS hand priming tool. For a better seat of the primer. Plus pushing on the press handle to prime aggravates my tennis elbow.
    I also neck size almost all bottleneck cases to be shot in a boltgun with a LYMAN 310 tool.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

not sure this qualifies but use the hand primer to deal with high primers on my 38s and 45s
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I use a Lee hand press for resizing cases when I am out of town for work and have some time to kill. I also use the RCBS hand primer. When I get back home, I'm all ready to drop the powder in the cases and seat the bullets. It saves time doing it this way and is much better than staring at the tv in a motel room.

.308: But you can stare at the TV in your Motel Room and run the tool if you choose. That's because it gives you the choice. Bolted down tools don't, you are tied to a bench no matter what.

This is why this method of reloading should be part of everyone's Kit, no matter how many more sophisticated machines you have at home. It doesn't matter if you use a Lee Classic Loader or Hand Press or one of mine, you always can reload ammo no matter where you are.

If you have to bug out from your home base, or get run out by a Hurricane, or Floods or a Tornado, you won't be taking the D550B with you. How about if you have to live in a Tent or Camper or RV?, or you just need to work up loads at the range, or you only bought one box of cartridges when you bought the gun and don't want to buy more cuz they were $120 a box. You have tools that can be carried in a tool bag or at the very most a Milk Crate,,,, You can do !

No matter what you think of UFO's The fact that there are other beings in this Universe is pretty much a done deal. The problem arises when they come here, because chances are they aren't going to be your Drinkin' Buddies just stopping by for a Beer. They will come looking for Resources or to just take the place over. If they got here in the first place, they are probably better armed than we are. But if they bleed, we can kill them. But you aren't going to kill much of anything if you don't have ammo, and if you can't reload ammo, you won't have ammo for long.

I don't care if you think I'm Nutz for talking about UFO's and Reloading Ammo in the same sentence. There are literally millions of Scenarios which are just as dire right here at home, and don't include moon men!

Point being,,, Maybe you should be prepared? Just in case?

You know what they say.... Ship Happens!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Bub
    I use a hand primer for precision rifle ammo and that's about it.

You lost me with the ufo stuff, I will try to find any reason to reload, but a ufo isn’t one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    You lost me with the ufo stuff, I will try to find any reason to reload, but a ufo isn’t one of them.
    You got the idea. Here's a new video on my tool. getting lots of views on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVUXKdqHcs&t=43s

Randy

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    310 sets and a old Lee tool also . I love my old presses but you cant beat portable loading .

Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I look for any reason to justify reloading. If not aliens or zombies, then why not consider any man made or natural disaster. Hand tools are our only way in such scenarios.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Ideal tong tools to seat primers in a lot of cases 'cause I can do it while watching TV. I used to use a Ideal 310 for seating Krag bullets before I determined that the bullet lube made a mess of the die interior and had to clean it too often.I like to own/use them just for the nostalgia, and as a bonus some of the come with a bullet mold, like the one I have for loading 303 Savage.

I have 43 Lee Loaders and 8 Lyman/Ideal 310's. I especially like the Lee Loaders. I normally will grab a Lee Loader and knock out 60-100 rds while my wife is "getting ready" to go out.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Banned

Always use the old Lee Auto Prime primer seater. I have planned for a while to get a Lee Hand Press, and I will eventually, mainly for use at the range. I just have to get the money saved up to buy one, but it'll happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast