RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many still use the handheld reloading equipment . . .

Boolit Master

How many still use the handheld reloading equipment . . .

just because it is a reminder to the good old days
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Not just because it's a reminder . Normally I'm trying something different and the other equipment is set up for something else .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

I use handheld deprimer and primer tools still. I also have some Lee loaders Wilson dies and homemade. I use these with a small ahrbor press. Ive wanted a 310 lymann for awhile haven't got around to it yet.

Boolit Master

I use a Lee hand press. I am busy and work long hours and keep a portable bag next to the recliner for reloading before bed.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have Frankford arsenal Hand depriming unit which I love. All brass now gets deprimed, citric acid washed, rinsed, primer pockets brushed. Before they ever see my dies.

Lee hand press is still my main squeeze. I also have a classic cast mounted inverted for gas checks and sizing work. And one of the newer stronger lee presses is setup for primer pocket swaging.

And I still prime with an RCBS hand tool.

Mostly because of flexibility. Tool can be upstairs, used in front of the TV. Downstairs, at the range. Wherever it is needed.

If I was willing to limit myself to one or two calibers I could probably get all the tools I needed for it in a good sized shoebox. Powder, primer, casting tools would eat more space.

I use at time to reload 3" 410 because i get it better with the Lee hand loader. That is what I started on and one for 12ga also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    Since I retired, I no longer have time to do all the things I had hoped and planned to do. If that statement sounds strange to you, you probably aren't retired. I have a pile of reloading equipment in the basement and whenever I get a little time to reload, I don't want to spend a lot of time on setup, so I keep a few presses set for what I use the most and use hand tools (especially my 310 tools) for the short runs of lesser used calibers at those times when I need to load them. I find that my time is more valuable to me than the money I could get for my "unused" equipment, so I keep it all and add more.

BTW, hand priming has been mentioned a time or two in this thread. Other than when I go full progressive, priming is done almost 100% with hand tools, especially my Simmons Tool for rifles and my first model Lee priming tool with screw in shell holders for everything else. Like others have said, this can be done while watching TV or at the kitchen table.

I may have to go back to work so I'll have time for my hobbies!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Vendor Sponsor

Lee rd tray hand primer on all loads other than shotgun.
    Have not found a better way
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

Harvey Hand Deprimer
    Old Stlye Lee Precision round tray primer
    Really want to try Frankford deprimer and primer just to see how they compare
    Hand Presses from Lee and Buchanan for sizing and sometimes batch reloading
    No dirty brass ever gets near my presses. Also like to keep sizing lube away as well
    Also use Lee Precision Powder Dippers and home-made dippers. No moving parts, I like that.
    I mostly use my bench preesses but for sure deprime and prime off the press
    Sometimes I will use a powder measure on or off the press
    So if the brass is sized, primed, and charged, I just flair, seat, and crimp. Otherwise I may flair, charge, seat and crimp. Works for me. I really like to control primers and powder and eliminate problems that occur with presses, primers and powder.
    I like to have complete control over the part that causes Kabooms
    Last edited by jmort; 03-24-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 6 Lee Loaders (I kinda like 'em). I started with one in '69 and like to keep them "handy" just because. I sometimes feel "retro" and get one out and pound out a box of reloads and sometimes I don't want to re-setup one of my bench presses. I believe I've mastered the occasional "Oh sh*!" moments when a primer pops and haven't had one in years. My favorite is my 38 Special kit.

I also have a Lyman 310 ton gool and dies for the 44 Special, but I'm still working (learning) that one...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    The only hand held stuff I have are priming tools but after getting tge RCBS bench prime they never get used.
    Don Verna

It is more a case of moving to hand tools for flexibility and something new to try, for me, than of getting back to them, since I was all in from the start with a pretty full RCBS bench-top setup, as a kid, for my loading startup. My parents were paying - bigger combo gifts being the sole perk of a birthday too close to Christmas. Thanks Mom and Dad, even as I near the edge of getting old, that setup still serves me very well.

Hand tools have, too, been invaluable, as my only way to load, while I've been away from home for quite a protracted period to care for those generous parents as they've aged and ailed.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I went back and read what I wrote earlier and said to myself, "That really sounds kinda strange." So, I've been pondering, and as I got a couple of texts from BrassMagnet about things 310, I'm starting to think about things in a slightly different light. For instance, I rarely shoot 38 Special these days, but when I do, I usually shoot a bunch (a la some PPC-style event.) I've got a perfectly good Star Progressive that stands patiently in its place waiting for me to add components and start cranking out target grade ammo about as fast as I can pull the lever. This makes me wonder whether I need the 2 Lee Loaders, steel handle 310 set, TruLine Jr set of dies, and probably others I'm forgetting, all in 38 Special. I have dies and duplicate dies in several other calibers for the 310/TL Jr family. There are also Lee Loaders in at least a half dozen rifle and pistol calibers and even one for 2 1/2" shotshells in 410 bore! If and when I want, I can do a lot of truly hand loading.

My Dad left me a Dillon press upgraded with the changeable die plate along with auto powder and primer feed... it is equipped to handle about 4 pistol calibers, and hasn't loaded a round in several years! My 32 cal loading is taken care of with a dedicated TruLine Jr press for the 32 S&W L, while the 32 H&R and 327 FM rounds go on the Lyman All American. All of this neglects to mention the three single stage presses and of course the 12 and 20 gauge shotgun presses (Bair and MEC respectively) and there is more still, so I'm beginning to wonder whether I need some sort of intervention. Maybe I should have the Mother of all Reloading Sales and use the proceeds to pay off the house, or more likely buy another gun or still more reloading gear I've had my eye on.

Since this started out as a discussion of reloading tools, we won't even get into the 30 or 40 sets of bullet moulds, the 3 Lyman/Ideal lubri-sizers, and the two electric and one gas (plumber's) pot sitting around too. It looks like every time I decide I have a while to use some of this stuff, by the time I can decide which I want to do, I've used up the available time. This isn't the way it was supposed to work!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

+1 on the Harvey Deprimer. I don't want the junk on my Dillon.

Boolit Master
    I use hand tools because I like Wilson tools a lot.
    Right now is the good old days for me.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Just about all of the handgun and 30-30 loading I do now is with a Lee Hand Press.
    I can reload in the heated and air conditioned house or take a gym bag to work with everything in it to reload and do it at my desk. Reloading is important work in my book...and I enjoy doing it there.
    The Lee Hand Press , I have two of them because they are so " Handy" , are one of the better Lee products , perfect for those who don't/can't have a bench mounted press.
    I have 4 bench mounted presses, but prefer the portability and convenience of the hand press.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

It's the Lee hand press for me too. I've used nothing else for years now for the convenience and portability.
    I still have my old rcbs rock chuck bench press, but never or very very rarely use it anymore.

Boolit Mold
    To me, its more ‘satisfying’ to use either my 310’s or my Lee hand press.
    That said, I only load rifle calibres (4) and usually only 20-30 rounds at a time.
    Its not a ‘chore’, its an enjoyable ‘downtime’, something to be appreciated.
    Yes, I know, weird huh ?
    Whatungarongaro te tangata toitū te whenua

Man shall disappear, but the land always remains

Boolit Grand Master

Still use my 310's when watching tv.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I use the Lee hand press. I have 4 bench mounted presses along with a Rock Chucker that is still sealed up NIB, but they really are just to hold powder measures and a couple of sizing dies. I'd say that 98% of my stuff gets reloaded using the hand presses.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast