Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's a wrap

That's a wrap

I will be starting a demanding new job in a couple weeks and will not have the ample time I have had in the past to indulge my hobbies. Today was likely my last casting session for some time to come. I started casting about 6 months ago and set out to learn as much as I possibly could in as short a time as possible about casting and loading cast boolits. In that time I think I have cast something like 10,000+ boolits of various kinds ranging from small 38 RNFPs, to 30 caliber rifle, to 44 mag, to 35 Rem. I have bought and used over a dozen molds. In short, I have been a casting fool these past 6 months. I think I have pretty much enough projectiles to carry me for quite some time, which was my intent knowing that I would soon be a lot less long on free time than I have been.

Throughout all of this, people on these boards have been tremendously helpful and generous with their time ad hard-won knowledge. Thank you all. I owe you all a debt of gratitude.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Good luck with the new job. Hope it works out for you!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    Good luck with the new job. Hope it works out for you!
    Thanks. It is actually going back to the old job I left 4 years ago. Got the college tuition bills for the kids coming in a few years, so back to the salt mine. I will still make time for loading, shooting, hunting, and even casting, I'll just have less. Good thing I have a big stockpile of cast boolits, and I have been accumulating and prepping brass so that I can put together rounds easily.

Boolit Master
    Some of us could be persuaded to keep your molds warm

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Some of us could be persuaded to keep your molds warm
    Heh! Actually, after doing the load workups with each load I don't want to part with any of them because now I have known good loads with these molds in my particular guns.

Boolit Master

Well, I understand getting busy. My gun/casting/reloading projects seem to accumulate, so does work!

Sounds like you set yourself up quite nicely. Best wishes as you get back into the routine!

Boolit Master

Tell me about it, 60+ hour work weeks make restocking the cashes tough and relaoding. Been trying to restock my bullet cashes for a few weeks now. Set you a mobile reloading area next to the recliner and make you a mobile casting station.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Clean oil and put away the molds. Empty the pot. Stack it all away neatly.

You'll be back. Till then, well a man has to do what a man has to do.

Take care!

Put the molds away while still warm in an ammo can with a good seal and they will keep as long as needed. Then when you want to cast there wont be any grease to clean off. Good luck with the new job.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Put the molds away while still warm in an ammo can with a good seal and they will keep as long as needed. Then when you want to cast there wont be any grease to clean off. Good luck with the new job.
    I live in a really, really dry climate, so I have greased anything that isn't aluminum and put them in a sealed plastic container. Think they will be OK.

I'll still be here asking the occasional dumb question, just won't be casting pretty much every week and climbing the learning curve like I have been. Its been fun learning so much. I feel like I still have a bunch to learn about rifle casting and maybe would like to try powder coating, but it will have to wait.

Boolit Master

Sealed containers with VCI paper and desiccant. I live in Florida and soon as started using desiccants in my tools and dies, it helped to keep all the corrosion under control. Boeing Makes a great CPC also for all your dies and reloading tools. Its pricy but you can get the CPC's from Marina/Boating stores.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Good Luck with the new Job , make sure you keep your equipment , hope you can find TIME to get back into it

I will make time for shooting. When I run out of boolits, I will make time for casting. How.else am I going to keep shooting 35 rem for 5 bucks a box?

Boolit Grand Master

Good Luck in the new job. But don't be a stranger. Life and Family have a way on interfering with our hobbies. Your equipment, if stored properly, will still be there when you get back to it. Do what you need to do and come back to this as you can. Stay in touch!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Sealed containers with VCI paper and desiccant. I live in Florida and soon as started using desiccants in my tools and dies, it helped to keep all the corrosion under control. Boeing Makes a great CPC also for all your dies and reloading tools. Its pricy but you can get the CPC's from Marina/Boating stores.
    OK, you got me. CPC's??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    OK, you got me. CPC's??
    Sorry about the acronym. CPC stands for Corrosion Preventative Compound. The boating marinas sell the good stuff and WD40 is a weak CPC. I swear Alox is a type of CPC is smells just like some of the stuff at work and works too. I go through my dies and clean them up occasional and apply a light coat.
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Sorry about the acronym. CPC stands for Corrosion Preventative Compound. The boating marinas sell the good stuff and WD40 is a weak CPC. I swear Alox is a type of CPC is smells just like some of the stuff at work and works too. I go through my dies and clean them up occasional and apply a light coat.
    CPC = Military grade pickle juice. My F.I.L. worked at a commissary and I have a couple jars around here somewhere.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master
    I did not cast for years as I had a demanding job and I had priorities. Shooting is WAY more fun than casting. I purchased about 100,000 bullets during those years. I did not stop shooting.
    Don Verna

I understand.
    I started law school last fall, and time is now a luxury that I always seem short on.
    I work from 8-4:30, drive straight to school and I'm there until 9:00 p.m. On the weekends, I have my head in the books.

I have little time for casting and handloading anymore.

Can't wait until summer. I will remedy this situation.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Bub
    Good luck with all your endeavors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast