Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: HELP! Anyone make Rem. 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader Brass?

Boolit Bub

HELP! Anyone make Rem. 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader Brass?

Hello everyone,

My neighbor boy is in need of brass for his Rem. 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader that he bought after a summer of cutting lawns and can't find any. His father is no longer in the picture and the young fella asked if I could help him out. I'm a traditionalist with the muzzleloaders, but couldn't turn him down. From what I could glean on the web, that brass is made from .45 Win. Mag. brass. Do any of you kind folks know if it is used as is, or if it needs to be shortened? Has anyone had any experience with this brass? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Man
    It should be based on .308 brass....and a heck of a lot cheaper than a buck and change EACH.

Boolit Buddy
    If they are 308 based...could someone please let me know the length? Ill make a bunch and send them to him. ppl
    Domari Nolo

Boolit Bub
    From what I found on the web, they are made from .45 Win. Mag. brass, if that individual knew what he was talking about. I wanted the folks here to reaffirm if they indeed are made from the pistol brass and not a .308 Win. The .308 Win. is tapered and would require reaming on a lathe. I just don't know what length to make them and wanted some guidance on doing so.

Dryball, that was a very kind gesture on your part offering to make them for him. But I've been loading for over 50 years and wouldn't have any problem putting them together. I just need info as I am unfamiliar with that type of brass.

Boolit Man
    You're going to need to work inside the case once you figure out the parent case:

It takes magnum rifle primers...I don't believe they would seat fully in a 45 win mag pocket?

Boolit Buddy
    Just buy the factory brass, why would you want to mess around trying to make something that might work.

Boolit Bub
    Steelshooter,
    Because if it's a simple matter of shortening .45 Win. Mag. brass which I have, I could do that a lot cheaper than I could buy the .45 Rem. Ultimate brass. And I also like messing around with that type of thing. Oh, if you only knew some of the creations that have left my stand alone reloading room.

I was sure someone on this site would have had experience with it, what with all the reloading people do here.

Boolit Buddy
    I do the same thing on hard to find brass or if I want to shoot the gun before I get the proper brass (example 243 brass necked up to 260) but your giving it to someone else why not give him the right brass that has the proper head stamp.