Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Looking for rifles (and other guns) for Single Action Shooting Society

Boolit Bub

Looking for rifles (and other guns) for Single Action Shooting Society

I'm looking to get into Cowboy action shooting. While this may sound like a repeat post, everyday variables (availability, new guns, etc) change this answer regularly. Anyways I'm looking for suggestions for affordable rifles and other guns to use for the action shooting. Was thinking about a Rossi '92, but found out the availability is very limited. Anybody else doing this? If so, what do you use? Also, I was thinking about going with a 38/357 rifle/revolver pair, but is there any advantages to other calibers like 45 Colt? Interested to hear input!

Thanks

Boolit Master

Rossi 92's have been scarce for years because of Cowboy Action demand - especially the 38/357. I was looking for one to shoot Pistol Cal Silhouette and it took me 6 months to track one down 4 years ago. Rossi has sent even fewer 92's to us in the years since. Contact StevesGunz.com - just looked on his website and he has some, that's where I found mine. You'll pay a bit more for it, but Steve has worked the action already and cleaned it up for Cowboy Action. The beauty of the 38 is that it can be loaded very inexpensively - you just don't need lots of lead flying fast for Cowboy Action, so mild 38's are the hot ticket. The new breed of "Wopchesters" are actually better made than the current Winchesters, so you might start there otherwise. I'm not a fan of Henry's at all with their tube fed centerfires and alloy receivers...
    If it were me I'd pick up a pair of 44's that are easier to find - load them up with mild 44 special loads and go for it.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for your help, I'll take a look at the website. It looks like a lot of fun, just trying to find the right tools to get started!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    The new breed of "Wopchesters" are actually better made than the current Winchesters, so you might start there otherwise.
    Italian clones are better than the Miroku guns? Sorry but thats just not true. More close to authentic without the tang safety and rebound hammer? Ya that's true. Cheaper cost for a base gun to build into a race gun for squib loads? Again also true. Just as accurate and reliable? Possibly but better chance you get a lemon with the Italians. But out of the box better? Absolutely not.

Boolit Master

I based my comment on experience with my Miroku low wall .22, which is easily beat in the accuracy department by my 100+ year old Stevens 414 and every other .22 I own, and is beat in fit and finish by my JM Marlins. Taylor's and Cimarron (Armi) really do make excellent rifles based on the rifles I see on the line at our Cowboy Silhouette shoots.

Maybe after I rebarrel it with a decent Lilja barrel, give the receiver a case color finish instead of the matt black blue and put a tree bone stock on it I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'm not really impressed with Miroku out of the box at all...

Boolit Grand Master
    If you want to be competitive, the .38is the way to go. But some categories do not allow the .38...so figure that out first.

As to rifles, I ran the fastest with the Uberti 1873 clones. Faster to operate and less feeding issues that the Marlins. I had three Marlins, two 1873’s and a Rossi 92. The Rossi is cheap but it will not run with the Marlin’s or 1873’s.

As for pistols, the Great Western II worked well after they were tuned. But I wound up with a pair of tuned Colt SAA’s but they are expensive yet I never had one malfunction with 10’s of thousands of rounds downrange.

Try both the 97 style pumps and a good SxS before deciding which way to go. I never had a problem with the Baikal shotgun I used and a few issues with the 97 Norinco and original Winchester 97. I was a tad faster with the 97, but had more confidence in the SxS. Wound up using the SxS at the important matches and took 6th place with it at the State shoot one year on the Shotgun course.

Most important thing to figure out is the category you want to shoot in and how competitive you want to be. You can have a ton of fun shooting almost anything that is legal

If economics matter, the .38’s use a lot less lead and brass is cheaper. Some of the big matches will not allow you recover your brass and you do not want to be using junk brass in competition.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Your Stevens is not Italian made.
    Some Cimarrons are standard Pedersolis. I have 2 of them.
    I have a number of Mirokus and I don't know of any superior Italian make though the Pedersolis are about an equal.
    The only Marlin that I own that compares is a 1952 waffle top in .35 Rem.
    My 1980s Marlins do not compare in any way when it comes to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    I based my comment on experience with my Miroku low wall .22, which is easily beat in the accuracy department by my 100+ year old Stevens 414 and every other .22 I own, and is beat in fit and finish by my JM Marlins. Taylor's and Cimarron (Armi) really do make excellent rifles based on the rifles I see on the line at our Cowboy Silhouette shoots.

Maybe after I rebarrel it with a decent Lilja barrel, give the receiver a case color finish instead of the matt black blue and put a tree bone stock on it I'll be happy. Otherwise, I'm not really impressed with Miroku out of the box at all...
    EDG

Henry makes some fine little rifles Rossi shouldn’t be that hard to get and half the price of the Henry far as SAA uberti is nice have a el patron and a cattleman you can tell the difference between the 2 models for sure. Far as calibers go I have a 45 colt and a 44-40 in rifles and 44-40 is spot on and feels like a B.B. gun to shoot, both of which are Rossi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Rossi,,,92 pre. safety,,, 2- 1875 outlaw's all 44/40's,,"you mean there are other's "?? Huh!!

coffee's ready,,,,Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    It's a speed game, .38's are all you need. Ruger Vaquaro's are reasonably priced and tough as nails. A common line at a match is that you can pound tent stakes with them. I cut 5/8's on an inch off the hammer spring to lighten up the pull and have never had a misfire.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Was thinking about a Rossi '92, but found out the availability is very limited.
    The Rossi's are scarce? I believe you don't know where to look for them ...
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Rossi-Fire...ossi&Cats=3023
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/C...les/Cowboy.htm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Before you buy anything for CAS, I strongly suggest you hook up with a club and shoot different guns and different calibers. All of the clubs members will be eager to help you out and let you try their stuff. Inluding different levels of modifications. You might buy something today thinking you got a deal but two weeks from now you try something you like a lot better. I started with a 92 and quickly decided i wanted something faster. I ended up with both a 66 and a 73. One thing to keep in mind is eventually you will end up with two of everything. Remember, you are working guns as fast as you can and old guns (and reproductions of old guns) break alot. I have two Winchester 97s and a Remington 1900 that I use. All are over 100 years old. Need to keep spares around. As far as caliber, just about anything will work. I decided to go with .45 Colt. My reasoning is I also was interested in shooting Wild Bunch. By adding (yep I added two) GI .45s, I can use my 97s and either my 66 or 73, as Wild Bunch requires you to use a rifle of .40 caliber or larger. My Uberti SA repros are in .45 Colt too. I stayed with that round to simplify reloading, although I recently switched to .45 Cowboy Special, which allows me to save on powder, but still works in my .45 Colt pistols.