Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 69 Smith

Boolit Master

Model 69 Smith

This revolver sparks my interest. Costs about what a Ruger GP 100 sells for. I could see feeding it mostly light target loads for double action shooting.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/758145802

Boolit Master
    If you want it buy it. I have two. The 4.2 inch and the 2.75 inch.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 4.25" and like it very well. I run Skeeters 44 special load in it and it's an accurate, fun to shoot. I didn't care for the factory grips and put Hogue bantams on mine. The Bantams fit me and work well shooting the Skeeter load but would probably go back to the factory grips if I shot full bore mag loads in it but I have heavier revolvers for my 44 mag shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cayton View Post
    I have the 4.25" and like it very well. I run Skeeters 44 special load in it and it's an accurate, fun to shoot. I didn't care for the factory grips and put Hogue bantams on mine. The Bantams fit me and work well shooting the Skeeter load but would probably go back to the factory grips if I shot full bore mag loads in it but I have heavier revolvers for my 44 mag shooting.
    I've fired full magnum loads with the original grips, and that's not something I'd do for an extended shooting session. I have a set of the S&W500 grips on order, which supposedly tame full house loads. We'll see. I'm also considering Herrett Troopers.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Moderator Emeritus

I've got an old 29 and has been heavily used.......Since I have retired it usually sees only 10 gr. of Unique with Keith 429421 bullets.....you will love the 629......
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I've got an old 29 and has been heavily used.......Since I have retired it usually sees only 10 gr. of Unique with Keith 429421 bullets.....you will love the 629......
    M69. M69 not 629.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a big fan of the M69 (probably overly enthusiastic). I also have both 4.25 (since early 2014) and the 2.75" (early last year). The 4.25 is my summer, all day, everyday carry gun.

Mine are equipped with the Hogue Tamers (S&W X Frame 500 Hogues). They are much friendlier to the bone at the base of my thumb. Modified a much used, almost worn out set shown in the picture below. Turned out great and will do a new set the same way.

The L Frame platform just works for me. The 4.25 gun would be one of the last to go.

Unmodified grips.

Paul

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I run mine the same way as hhilljr is doing his and love it! I developed a load for my Super BH to hunt with (200 gr hp and a large gob of H110), a number of years ago, very accurate but not much fun to shoot out of the SBH or either of my N-frame Smiths. But I figured I at least needed to give them a try out of the 69. Shot just as good in the 69 as with the others and the X-frame grip tamed it right down. I wouldn't want to spend the afternoon shooting that heavy load but it wasn't that bad. Mostly I shoot the Skelton load but have also used a few other bullets and powders in the 44 spcl/lite magnum range with good results. Shooting cast you may experience some leading until it smooths up some. The rifling process is not as smooth as it was when they built them back in the day. Buy it you will like the gun.

Great bear protection for your Alaska vacation.

I have the 4" model. It's a great revolver and imo is best suited to hot .44spl loads. I have fired a few magnums through it and it's not something I would want to do all that often

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I’m a huge fan. Mine mostly see’s 429421’s over Unique. I also do some 240gr SWC over Trail Boss for my way better half. It’ll see chest and belt duty while in the wilds of Montana just in case something wants to make me dinner. I have Herrett Jordan Troopers on it, they fit exceptional and make extended range sessions easy for both my wife and I. The chest rig is a Sourdough Pancake and Chesty Puller harness from Simply Rugged, and the belt holster is from Lobo Gun Leather. I plan on buying another this year for my wife. It’ll get Herrett Jordan Troopers measured for her hand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0815A349-C7F8-4BBF-802B-6B1C03CB2CFD.jpg   C758CF9A-FD18-4A26-B439-6A72D2F25CD9.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Been lustin’ for one of these for a few months.

I would like my wife to pack one loaded to suit her for pucker brush duty.

My everyday load in my 629 MG is the RCBS 250K pushed by HS-6 at 11.8 gr. lit by magnum pistol primers. I don’t think that the charge weight is magical right at 11.8 gr but that is where the load cleaned up and the accuracy really tightened up so why change that?

I think a Model 69 Smith would behave very well at the afore mentioned load.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    My everyday load in my 629 MG is the RCBS 250K pushed by HS-6 at 11.8 gr. lit by magnum pistol primers. I don’t think that the charge weight is magical right at 11.8 gr but that is where the load cleaned up and the accuracy really tightened up so why change that?

Do you know what the velocity is on your 11.8g load of HS-6 and the RCBS 250?

In my mdl 69 4-1/4" gun I like 7g of Trail Boss and 429421 for a velocity of only 760fps; but It groups well as evidenced by a perhaps "once in a lifetime group" of 5 shots in .622" at 25yds from a bench rest.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post

In my mdl 69 4-1/4" gun I like 7g of Trail Boss and 429421 for a velocity of only 760fps; but It groups well as evidenced by a perhaps "once in a lifetime group" of 5 shots in .622" at 25yds from a bench rest.

I use 7.0gr of trailboss and a 200gr wc (top right) and get 3/4" 10-shot groups @ 25yds when I do my part.
    [IMG][/IMG]

7.0gr of trailboss and bullets weighing from 200gr to 250gr do extremely well in the 44mag cases.
    6.0gr to 6.5gr of clays and bullets weighing from 180gr to 250gr are also accurate in the 44mag cases as well.

Boolit Master
    I've had my eye on this revolver ever since it came out; if S&W made a 5" full-underlug in this model I'd already own one - I shot my fathers' M29 4" a fair bit growing up, and never warmed to its 4" bbl.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post

Yes sir,

The HS6 load runs 1066 FPS with 7 FPS SD in my 4” Smith MG and 1176 out of my 7.5” Redhawk with 15 FPS SD.

Enjoy

Three44s

I'm A Honcho!
    Three44’s speaks the truth on that hs6 load....
    He turned me onto it a year ago and have shot it extensively in my super red hawk.
    It is very accurate and not abusive at all!!

Just an FYI Three44’s I just purchased one of those 2 3/4” combat magnums and have put about 100 rnds of the hs6 load thru it and it is just marvelous. It shoots a ragged single hole at 15 yrds off a rest.

Let me know if you would like to take it for a test drive.
    I could swing out and dispense of a few grey diggers whilst you tried out that mod 69

Boolit Master
    Wasalmonslayer,

Hey that is hard to turn down! And I got diggers up to our ears!

Bring it on guy!

I would like to have my wife put some different light loads through the ‘69, it is this revolver or the Ruger GP100 in .44 special loaded up that I believe would serve her needs for more power without overwhelming her.

Whichever of the two wheelguns that fits her hand, specifically the trigger reach should be the most useful with the right grips .... I can tailor the load, that’s a no brainer.

Thank you and best regards

Three44s

I want one

I wish they made them with a 5” or 6” barrel

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Nice shooting, Paul105, I've had equal results, albeit with my 4.25" bbl'd model, from the 25 yd line off a rest. It's a great revolver, and may well be my most accurate Smith! My favorite load to date is 8.5 grains of Herco with Mihec's 431244GC at 0.430"...about 900 fps, (My load, work up to it after consulting a good manual). Another good load is with Hornady's 200 gr XTP, & the same powder charge for 1021 fps and ~1"+ gps. Both are loaded in .44 Special brass...The gun's a keeper & can shoot if the shooter is up to the task!!!

Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 06-12-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast