RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Smoke, carbide lamp

Boolit Master
    I have smoked a mold with a carbide sight torch. If I remember correctly, it did make the diameter measurably smaller and wasn't much help in the fill out and release. I got better results using a match or butane lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    I always wanted one of those miner's lamps! Blacking sights with acetylene but the deposits could be a bit excessive in my experience. I generally used candles.

When I was a kid, the local hardware store still sold cans of carbide and my brother and I found interesting ways to make use of it. Our favorite was to cut the ends out of 2 Hi-C cans and the lid out a 3rd, duct-tape them together into one long can and punch a small hole in the side near the bottom. A 24" square of .010 mil poly sheet folded twice and rubber-banded over the open end finished the assembly. We'd stand it straight up, with a pebble or two of carbide in it and a splash of water, put the poly cover on and hold a match near the hole - BOOM! The blast would echo among the houses and have the neighbors looking. It got really interesting when we discovered that putting a baseball on top of the plastic would blast the ball out of sight! We'd retreat under the porch roof to wait for it to come down. When it landed on the concrete driveway, it would bounce higher than the garage, so it had to have fallen from a great height to hit that hard.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 01-24-2020 at 01:23 PM.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I knew a pro fisherman many years ago that used blocks of carbide to blow sharks up , when he started pulling up bits of fish instead of complete ones . He would put the carbide in a plastic bag and fit it into a fish head and toss it over board , the offending fish stealer would take it .A while later a large disturbance would occur on the surface , lots of bubbles and bits of shark would appear .

I use an old kerosine hurricane lamp fuel tank and wick to smoke gun parts for hand fitting , I cut the other bits off .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12