Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-- cancer

Banned

if your suggesting the eat right stay healthy solution well ill say this. MANY people get and die from cancer that lead healthy lives. Your odds might increase slightly if you don't, but if Gods plan has you getting and dieing from cancer, eating all the kelp and veggies in the world isn't going to change it and neither is running every morning. Heck joggers die from heart attacks and get melanoma from exposure to all that health sunshine. Bottom line is if science could pin right down what actually triggers cancer to start in a body we wouldn't have cancer. Just about everything we do in our lives can be a cause of cancer. Breathing the smoke from your casting pot. Using about any chemical we use day to day from cleaning products to shampoo. Staying outside in the healthy sunshine. Ask goatwhiskers about that one. Driving down the highway and breathing pollutants from your car and the one next to you. Eating just about anything that comes in a package. So unless your only food is food from a garden grew with no chemicals or fertilizer your a hypocrite for lecturing others. ANY food bought in a store contains either chemicals or is grown with fertilizers or has preservatives or in the case of meat has hormones. If you raise your own meat and veggys (even then just plain red meat has been linked to cancer) you might fair better but how many people in this country today can realistically do this. How many today can eliminate everything out of your life that causes cancer?? Remember it only takes one. If God says its time its time. I know people that are in there 80s who smoked non filter cigerettes from the time they were 12 and I know people in there 30s that have died from lung cancer and never smoked a single cigarette.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    If anyone is willing to put some effort into learning and more effort into following through, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. It is curious to me almost no one wants to take any personal responsibility for anything. They would rather get cut on and chemo'd till there hair falls out than learn or do.

Banned

I'm 62. I smoked since I was 12 up till about 6 months ago. I quit not because I though id get cancer because quiting this late isn't going to help that. I quit because it was hard to breath. I drank half my life, did drugs the first 1/3. Worked on ships and powerplants exposed to LOTS of asbestos. Worked on cars and other mechanical things all my life and cleaned my hands with about every bad chemical that's been made, Ive ate just what ive though tasted good for 60 of those 62 years, Have worked on farms where planes sprayed insecticides while we stood and watched. drank water out of lead pipes, breathed fumes off lead pots for over 30 years. Worked out in the sun all my life and never used a sun block. Handled probably thousands of chemicaly treated power poles and ate my lunch right up on them. Was exposed to all kinds of high voltage lines. Again ate my lunch up in it (probably a twinky or two in it) Ive ate beef at least 3 times a week all my life, I don't think ive at 3 salads in my life unless you count taco salad or tuna salad. Yup theres only one thing left and that's prayer. If God wants me and wants me to get cancer then it will happen. Nothing I change in my life today is going to prevent it. Way to late for that nonsense and even if it were I look at it like this. I'm 62. I have (if I'm very lucky) 15-20 more years. If someone told me Lloyd you have a choice. Continue as you are and die at 75 or eat only rabbit food and go running every day and become completely paranoid about everything around me that can cause me to die and live till 80 that decision would be a no brainer if there ever was one. No thanks. Give me a t bone a baked tater with lots of butter some good biscuits with butter and for health sake maybe a can of corn. Cook it on one of those unhealthy out door barbque grills and give me a bottle of bud while I'm cooking (out in the sun getting melanoma and breathing the freshly applied weed and feed on my lawn. Maybe later ill crank up my polluting pickup and go to dairy queen for a blizzard!.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I can very easily understand your worries -- but, you may wish to ask yourself if there is ANYTHING you might do re your own future health -- specifically cancer avoidance? I like to close my eyes and actually see great times and memories I have had the privilege of sharing with loved ones lost. And, sad as it may be, if I was given the choice of either NOT ever knowing the passed person, OR, having the privilege of knowing them -- including the loss -- it would take less than a milli-second for me to choose the latter. Regardless, it reinforces how very fragile, indeed, our life -- the very short stay we have on planer Earth is.
    Prayer often helps, too...
    geo

Banned

^^^ we are similar in age
    Everything you say is true in my opinion
    You want to live a long life, it is the genetic lottery

Try this and see how it goes for you with the wrong genetics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	168 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	217019

Four bottles of red wine a day. Antonio Docampo García, who died last week at the grand old age of 107, attributed his longevity to his drinking habits - four bottles of red wine a day, and no water. Mr Docampo liked to have two bottles of wine with lunch, and another two with dinner, his family told reporters.Feb 12, 2016
    This 107-year-old's secret to a long life? Four bottles of red wine a day ...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=four...obile&ie=UTF-8

Boolit Grand Master

OPOS
    Thanks for putting it all in perspective.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Not to be a casual or flippant response, but No One gets out alive... We all are going to die of something.

Genetics is main factor, but not all by any means. My mother turned 90 in Oct. She was oldest of 4, and is last left. Youngest brother, AIDS related 12 yrs ago, Oldest brother, smoked, dies of lung cancer 8 yrs ago. Sister, various ailments, clogged carotid arteries did her in about 6 yrs ago at 79. BTW, neither she nor mom drank a drop of alcohol in their lives, Oldest brother did, Youngest who knows? Sister was health nut over her last 15 or so years. Supplements for everything and a lot of herbs. Didn't seem to help a bit.

My family knows of cancer. Mom has bladder cancer. Lost an uncle (by marriage) to liver cancer recently. Several others have had various types, Grandpa dies of colon cancer I think. I never gave it any thought until Mom got it. Might be part of the reason she started going to church with me. She's makin her peace with God, which im thankful for.

Boolit Master

just my thoughts, but if your god chooses for you to die an agonizing painful death from cancer, i believe you have been worshiping the wrong god!

Yes, cancer is such an insidious disease. I just lost a very good old friend and shooting partner this last Saturday to cancer of the liver and gall bladder. He'd been feeling poorly lately so he went in for a few tests. They diagnosed him as terminal and told him he had about 6 months to live (give or take a little bit). In fact, he went downhill very quickly and was gone in about 2 1/2 weeks. He was 84 years old (would have been 85 next month) and he had a very interesting and satisfying life, but its still a real shame to loose such a good friend so quickly and having to watch them deteriorate daily. He was generous enough to gift me a couple of his favorite handguns as keepsakes, and I will be selling several of his other remaining guns at his request and will be donating the generated funds to our local Hospice in his name.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Bub

I'm currently taking chemo for my 6th and 7th cancers.
    At age 37 in 1977, they removed 1/2 my large intestine, appendix and 18 lymph nodes followed by a year of chemo. Then, they removed polyps, if found, every five years. The chemo reduced my kidneys to 50% normal function.
    The next four were nothings ... skin spots on my bald head, only one required a scalpel, the rest were burnt off.
    The last two are now in the small intestine and liver. I'm 78. Surgery is not the best treatment. They then think they can they can put the cancers in a latent stage with chemo.
    My 2 cents of advice? If you notice your body slowly changeing and it is a steady thing and not getting better, hammer on the medical folks untill they find the cause. Early detection is very important.
    I'm a retired Marine with more than 310 combat missions in 'Nam and I will not go gently.

Banned
    I just lost a friend to cancer. Gary died Tuesday night. He cancer, the VA took good care of him,, cured thee first round. 77 months later it was back in his pancreas and lungs.
    He left no close family, as he was an eccentric batchlor.
    I am the executor of the will. I see that as an honor and a crises. He left a house full of reloading tools and supplies. His garage is full tools. He had no debt.
    Looks like my summer is planned for me.
    Cancer is a terrible way to go. He was doing OK up till the final three weeks. Then pain started taking over his life. Hospice refused to help as he had guns in the house, their words.
    Life is tough enough, dying should not be that difficult.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Know all too well what you all are talking about.

Cousin died of cancer back in the 1960s...he was about 7-8 years old. Grandmother died of pancreatic cancer in the early 1960s. My father died of lung cancer in the late 1960s.

I had lymphoma(non-Hodgkin's) in 1977. Was cancer free until 2012. Had a case of salivary gland cancer that had metastasized to my lymph glands.
    2016 had a case of Burkitt's-like lymphoma that metastasized to my lungs, stomach, brain and a few lymph glands in my abdomen. Now in remission.

I have had at least 7 major surgeries, 70 radiation treatments and a 6 month regimen of chemotherapy. Have been declared terminal two times. I have been blind in my right eye for about 4 months because of the brain tumor(thankfully restored by chemotherapy), I have greatly reduced saliva and a damaged sense of taste. I am no longer capable of curling 90lbs with one arm as I once could...I am actually quite weak, have limited energy and struggle with a lack of stamina.

After 14 months of disability, I returned to work full time last August. People at work say I am a tough old bastard that just refuses to give in and die.

I am now 63 years old and plan to retire after the first of June this year.

It is time to live out the balance of my life in well-deserved retirement doing what I wish.
    I have been acquiring new firearms and plan to spend a great deal of time investigating the accuracy potential of each at my gun club as often as I have the strength and energy to do so.
    I went on a few one day hunting trips last fall and winter and fully intend to do so for as long as I have the strength, stamina and am healthy enough to do so.

For those suffering from this disease, all I can say is fight back, refuse to yield. Face the situation with good humor and resolve to win the fight.
    You can defeat this enemy.

I am living proof.

Boolit Master
    Most that know me here know that I was diagnosed with testicular cancer more than three years ago. Had emergency surgery because the doctors all agreed they had never seen a tumor grow faster or more aggressively. Quite literally the tumor more than doubled in size in the week between the first scan and the second that sent me to surgery. My case is still be studied because even the day of my emergency surgery I had ZERO blood markers for cancer. To this day I've never fully recovered from the surgery. Most also know my wife is still fighting two forms of cancer, and thank the Good Lord she is currently winning on that front.

God has blessed us thus far, and I will walk this earth and breathe this air until I don't. I know where I'm bound once I leave this old world, but don't think for an instant I'm in a hurry to get there. We get one chance to stomp the mud down here before living with Him in glory, and I'm gonna stomp it every chance I can get that I can get these tired old bones up enough to do it. If I can't stomp the mud, well I'll listen to the birds sing, the crickets cry, and the distant thunder long as He will allow that. Good Lord willin' maybe I'll get a few more chances to drown an earthworm or two before it's all said and done. I'm cantankerous, and I mean more than a little. I'll scratch and claw with tooth and nail to stay here, and give me half a chance I'll bite the tree bark and hold on like an old loggerhead while they try to drag me away. The Lord give me one go around, and I've wasted too much of it as it is. Be danged if anybody but Him cuts it short for me, myself included.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    I cleared a big long post I typed , all I can say is God bless ,

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Pancreatic cancer took my father. My mother survived breast cancer and uterine cancer but pancreatic cancer took her in the end. My wife's little brother was taken by testicular cancer at 21.

All at the same time.

I feel for everyone that suffers the scourge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Moderator Emeritus

My sister in law was a paranoid schizophrenic, clinically diagnosed. When she learned she had cancer, the doc basically told her to go home and wait for the inevitable, and not to buy any green bananas. This sent her into a long bout of continued hysterics. But then, I think she simply got tired of the hysterics, and couldn't sustain them, and she began looking about for something she could "take with her." And the search was really in earnest this time, which may well have been a first for her. She turned to religion, and I suspect, had her first real experience with Christ. And it was amazing how this affected her! For the first time, she started questioning and fighting her impulses and the voices, and you can't believe how much this changed her behavior!!! It was truly inspiring to see how much real, true faith really CAN change our lives, and bring us to a VERY much better place in life than we'd ever known prior to that experience. Finally, she reconciled herself to her mortality, and said, literally, "I'm just going to enjoy whatever time I have left, and let the Lord take care of the rest." I have never seen such a transformation before in my life! No better example could, I think, be observed in this life than my sister in law's example. It's really not about how many years we have, but what we put INTO those years, that really matters.

We humans tend to be pretty lazy, at least much of the time, and whenever we have the liberty and opportunity to be so. Facing one's own mortality is a very strong motivator, if we'll simply let it be. It tends to focus us on what's REALLY important in this life, and what's just chaff and pomp. What greater blessing could we have than to focus on what's really important and eternal?

Also, death is a release from this world, and a pathway into the next, eternal realm. As such, it's not a "punishment" to be dreaded, but a mere change in form, just as a butterfly emerges from its crysalis. Of all those who've had a near death experience, and been actually dead for a time, and then returned, none who are faithful ever feared death again! I think this ought to put death in a better perspective than we typically regard it.

Many regard life as simply an opportunity to "party" and have "fun." But it's a lot more serious and consequential than that. Always has been. Always will be. And death is not something to be dreaded. Do you think the caterpillar is afraid to form its crysalis? Why should we, then, dread passing from one realm into the next? Once one commits to the Lord, our previous sins, of whatever type they might be, are cast "as far as the east is from the west," and will never be credited to us thereafter. It's a true transformation, if we'll just allow it to be, and if we're sincere in our commitment.

God knew what he was doing when He created death. We typically look at everything we've been given in this realm through such a limited and erroneous set of values and assumptions, that it's a true blessing to be forced to sit and ponder our own demise. If we have faith, we can smile, and though we hate leaving our loved ones behind, we can be satisfied and complacent that Christ will take care of them as He has for us.

Cancer can be painful, and that, of course, to be dreaded. But how can we expect a life so full and rich with blessings, that outnumber the stars in the sky, to NOT have some pain and dread in it to balance things out, and keep us focused where our focus ought to be? Like I said, God really knew what He was doing when He made this world, including the advent of death. If I had my druthers, I'd stay here forever, probably, but my body just won't hold out that long, and when the body wears out, or is disabled, or racked with excruciating pain incessantly, death can be a true deliverer.

Our knee-jerk reaction to our mortality shows how shallowly we typically regard our existence, and our disposition in eternity. Lots of folks have made a real commitment ONLY after finding they were not to be long for this world. What greater blessing could they have received than that?

It's our attitude toward our mortality that is typically off kilter, NOT the reality of the specre of death. It seems God truly loves us enough to do His dead level best to give us ALL, all the motivation we should require to come to faith and belief. He's not like us. He KNOWS our weaknesses and pains and concerns. If we let Him, he can deal with all of it - every jot and tittle of it. But we have to allow it. Thank God for the opportunity to do so!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12