Load DataPBcastcoReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-- cancer

Banned

D-- cancer

Just took my best friend at 60. My sister had it last year as did another close friend AND his wife, all three are still fighting it. two other friends have die in the last 2 years of it. Scares the hockey sticks out of me.

Moderator Emeritus

I can very easily understand your worries -- but, you may wish to ask yourself if there is ANYTHING you might do re your own future health -- specifically cancer avoidance? I like to close my eyes and actually see great times and memories I have had the privilege of sharing with loved ones lost. And, sad as it may be, if I was given the choice of either NOT ever knowing the passed person, OR, having the privilege of knowing them -- including the loss -- it would take less than a milli-second for me to choose the latter. Regardless, it reinforces how very fragile, indeed, our life -- the very short stay we have on planer Earth is.
    Prayer often helps, too...
    geo

If death, your own or others, scares you it is time to build a faith that takes away that fear. We started to die the moment we were born and you cannot have lived a full life without dying. It is part of God's plan and there for a good thing. The day you die will be the best day of your life, as you will start a wonderful journey into God's presence.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I am amazed at how many ways satan has devised to kill us. Cancer, over 100 known forms
    Plus a multitude of other diseases around 2,200
    Disease/cancer is not God's plan
    How idiotic to think it is part of God's plan
    God will make it right in the end
    Have faith

Boolit Master
    A lot of us have cancer. I've had two surgeries to remove over half of my colon, some of my small intestine, and a whole bunch of lymph nodes. Now I have a constant case of the "green apple quick step." I have to avoid milk and a few other things that I like, but I'm still kicking. My wife has survived breast cancer. a friend of mine died with throat cancer.

The initial diagnosis was somewhat of a shock, but as a Christian it didn't scare me. I took the tests, went through surgeries and even had experimental chemo. I now have neuropathy and can't feel much, and have to wear flip-flops or shoes so I can walk steadily. I'm slowly selling off or trading my firearms so I can shoot things that aren't overpowering, altho I can't part w/ my .44 SRH. I have gone down to 9mm pistols for the most part. I can still shoot my rifles and shotguns, but I don't hunt anymore, just kill paper targets, and if I go to a state sponsored range I need to be aware of my diet for maybe two days before. It's an adjustment, but not frightening...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    A lot of us have cancer. I've had two surgeries to remove over half of my colon, some of my small intestine, and a whole bunch of lymph nodes. Now I have a constant case of the "green apple quick step." I have to avoid milk and a few other things that I like, but I'm still kicking. My wife has survived breast cancer. a friend of mine died with throat cancer.

The initial diagnosis was somewhat of a shock, but as a Christian it didn't scare me. I took the tests, went through surgeries and even had experimental chemo. I now have neuropathy and can't feel much, and have to wear flip-flops or shoes so I can walk steadily. I'm slowly selling off or trading my firearms so I can shoot things that aren't overpowering, altho I can't part w/ my .44 SRH. I have gone down to 9mm pistols for the most part. I can still shoot my rifles and shotguns, but I don't hunt anymore, just kill paper targets, and if I go to a state sponsored range I need to be aware of my diet for maybe two days before. It's an adjustment, but not frightening...
    Yes, I have Multiple Myeloma and Chronic Kidney Disease and my kidneys are rolling snake eyes pretty quick. I am in the short rows of life and take things one day at a time. As you said, it is an adjustment but not frightening at all.

In 37 years as a Pastor, I walked with over 400 people to the gates of heaven and then stayed behind with the families to help them. I would never be so cruel and hurtful as to tell them Satan killed their loved ones. We are all going to die of something and Satan has no hand in it. This is just part of the natural cycle of life. It is nothing to be feared for Christ has "swallowed up death". In life and in death we are in the hands of a loving God. Satan is a defeated enemy and has no dominion over us.

Paul wrote in 1st. Corinthians 15:

"Now if the rising of Christ from the dead is the very heart of our message, how can some of you deny that there is any resurrection? For if there is no such thing as the resurrection of the dead, then Christ was never raised. And if Christ was not raised then neither our preaching nor your faith has any meaning at all. Further it would mean that we are lying in our witness for God, for we have given our solemn testimony that he did raise up Christ—and that is utterly false if it should be true that the dead do not, in fact, rise again! For if the dead do not rise neither did Christ rise, and if Christ did not rise your faith is futile and your sins have never been forgiven. Moreover those who have died believing in Christ are utterly dead and gone. Truly, if our hope in Christ were limited to this life only we should, of all mankind be the most to be pitied!"
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 03-22-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I am the only one of 4 siblings thaat hasn't been down that road. 63 next month. It killed most of Mom's side. Dad's side were iron horses. Dad died young at 85. It is what it is. I eat healthier than most. Joints are worn out so I move slow. Have lived a better life than some and worse than others. After seeing Jesus one of these days I look forward to being together with a lot of my family again.
    If it doesn't shoot an ounce of lead, its a wimp load.

Lose the stress, relax, enjoy what you have. Laughter is the best medicine for cancer.

Stress, pressure, worry are killers long term.

Relax, laugh, enjoy life. Any of us might not wake up tomorrow. Any of us.
    But you can't worry about it. Sensible planning and preparation but don't let it stop you from enjoying life.

The one thing we can count on is change. People come into our lives. We grow to care for them, come to love them. And they move, die, and are gone.

Love them while they are here, be man enough, and mature enough to tell them we love them, often. Miss them when they are gone. It is all we can do.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It can and CANNOT be hereditary. I know people without a trace of cancer in thier family that have various forms of cancer. My wife’s side of the family seems to have it more than normal. My side is cancer free for as far back as we have traced (10 generations).

God’s blessing and guidance to those that have it. But fearing death is not the way to face it. We are all fellow travelers to the grave and some of us just take shorter paths.

Rely on God’s healing and bolster your faith in Him if you have to face the demon “C”.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    If death, your own or others, scares you it is time to build a faith that takes away that fear. We started to die the moment we were born and you cannot have lived a full life without dying. It is part of God's plan and there for a good thing. The day you die will be the best day of your life, as you will start a wonderful journey into God's presence.
    I could not have said it better! I battle skin cancer and has already had a melanoma. Pasty white Irish skin and a love for the outside is a dangerous combination. It has claimed some of my family. Just get your checkups and do what you can to protect yourself....A good relationship with the Holy Trinity will remove much of the fear of death. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

i'm getting some lessons of life in this thread; some of you guys are courageous beyond beliefs.

i've got the **** scared out of me for a whole year recently ; my rear end was spitting blood to the point where i've passed every tests possible to see what was happening: coloscopy, gastroscopy, blood tests, radiography, echography.....been all throught it all to discover i'm plagued with diverticua ; they bleed from time to time,but nothing serious. got to change some things in my intake,no milk with lactose,no more hot sauce (lol)...such things that may triggers cramps and the bleedings.

during this year of investigation, i reflected a lot.......it changed my point of view on my life. left the driver seat of my trucking enterprise to my son,i retired completely .

at 55 i decided to enjoy what i've built over the last 3 decades and the perspective of getting hit by cancer changed my mindset for the better...much better.

the fear of having to live on a countdown got me. i realize that at one point, i had to stop running like a headless torso to enjoy the amount of time left ahead. i'm now more oriented towards my people. i try to be nice all the time, i try to be a better person for the people who really count for me....in the end, my family is what really count .

since my retirement, me and my wife decided to spend our time between our little chalet in vermont and my canadian homebase. i couldn't be happier,life has never tasted that good.
    Last edited by glockfan; 03-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Banned
    Lloyd, I feel for you. A few years ago I lost my favorite brother. Before that a sister.

Then last year my beautiful wife of 32 years was diagnosed with cancer. She has had 1 round of chemo and miraculously the cancer is in remission. All through this time her good cheer has never waivered.

She is a devout Catholic and trusts in the Lord's judgement.

But I'm afraid my faith is much less strong. I know your fear because I share it.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master

Life is a terminal disease. Even Christ had to die. Spend the time you have left in support of those who are afflicted. The flip side of all this is that death isn't the end, but the reward for the past.
    Mom died at 92 from undiagnosed cancer that reached stage 4 without treatment. She survived over 40 years with type 1 diabetes and MS. She survived previous cancer and never gave in.
    My wife survived uterine and breast cancer with the faith and patience of Jobe.
    Know your body and investigate any change. Finding cancer EARLY is the answer. Don't depend on Drs. when they don't follow up on complaints.
    Tomorrow may be my turn, but it won't be the end. I know the outcome regardless of the results.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

I have learned allot about death and dying from 37 years as a Pastor. I have seen the fear of death drive a few folks literally crazy. They were so fearful, they could not function with the life they have left. I have seen folks try every kind of quack cure and mental gymnastics they could find to avoid dying.

In my last church I knew a woman, who was a Yoga Guru and even wrote books on the subject. At age 80, she was so limber she could coil on a couch almost like a snake. She was a member but did not attend and she told me that yoga gave her all the spiritual peace she needed. Then one day she got cancer and all that yoga BS went out the window and turned into a tearful, fearful woman.

A mature faith, a faith that will support you through all the trials of life including dying, does not come in an instant. It takes time to build. I liken it to putting money away, for a rainy day. If we are not making regular deposits in our faith account, when we need to make a withdrawal there is nothing there.

We are all mortal and we shall all surely die. The sooner we own that and start to build our faith, the better off we will be when the Dr. hands us the black spot. There is very little you can do, or can be done for you, if cancer catches us with out faith pants down.

Banned

Death really doesn't scare me. I realize its comes to everyone. Its the suffering that comes with cancer that does. I will say a prayer for you. I know we haven't allways agreed or got along but I hate to see anyone have to go through the mental and physical strain cancer brings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post

Boolit Master
    If anyone is willing to put some effort into learning and more effort into following through, read The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. It is curious to me almost no one wants to take any personal responsibility for anything. They would rather get cut on and chemo'd till there hair falls out than learn or do.
    Rule 303

in Remebrance
    Well, I'll say that when I got diagnosed with melanoma on my ear, it was scary for a short time, then I gave it all to God and the fear was gone. I did wind up minus my right ear and the chemo left me a serious case of neuropathy, got a lot of trouble walking but I don't let it hold me back. Figure God's purpose has not been fulfilled in my life yet. Sometimes life ain't a lot of fun, I've seen hexx twice in my life, the latest being the loss of my wife, but He is in control and can help you with all your problems if you just ask. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I could not have said it better! I battle skin cancer and has already had a melanoma. Pasty white Irish skin and a love for the outside is a dangerous combination. It has claimed some of my family. Just get your checkups and do what you can to protect yourself....A good relationship with the Holy Trinity will remove much of the fear of death. Paul
    I literally feel your pain. A lifetime of working & playing outdoors has left me with a Melanoma plus 3 Squamous Skin Cancer surgeries. Every visit I make to the Skin Doc leaves me looking as if I have Aids, at least for a couple weeks. My last visit the Doc sprayed 21 places.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

On the day that I die

On the day I die a lot will happen.
    A lot will change.
    The world will be busy.
    On the day I die, all the important appointments I made will be left unattended.
    The many plans I had yet to complete will remain forever undone.
    The bills I always insisted be paid on time can be late now and I won't know it.
    The things I wanted but didn't buy because I might need the money..won't ever be mine.
    The calendar that ruled so many of my days will now be irrelevant to me.
    All the material things I so chased and guarded and treasured will be left in the hands of others to care for or to discard.
    The words of my critics which so burdened me will cease to sting or capture anymore. They will be unable to touch me.
    The arguments I believed I’d won here will not serve me or bring me any satisfaction or solace.
    All my noisy incoming notifications and texts and calls will go unanswered. Their great urgency will be quieted.
    My many nagging regrets will all be resigned to the past, where they should have always been anyway.
    Every superficial worry about my body that I ever labored over; about my waistline or hairline or frown lines, will fade away.
    My carefully crafted image, the one I worked so hard to shape for others here, will be left to them to complete anyway.
    My memories of the past will merge into the present and simply fade away.
    All the small and large anxieties that stole sleep from me each night will be rendered powerless.
    The deep and towering mysteries about life and death that so consumed my mind will finally be clarified in a way that they could never be before while I lived.
    These things will certainly all be true on the day that I die.

Yet for as much as will happen on that day, one more thing that will happen.
    On the day I die, the few people who really know and truly love me will grieve deeply.
    They will feel a void.
    They will feel cheated.
    They will not feel ready.
    They will feel as though a part of them has died as well.
    And on that day, more than anything in the world they will want more time with me.
    I know this from those I love and grieve over.
    And so knowing this, while I am still alive I’ll try to remember that my time with them is finite and fleeting and so very precious—and I’ll do my best not to waste a second of it.
    I’ll try not to squander a priceless moment worrying about all the other things that will happen on the day I die, because many of those things are either not my concern or beyond my control.
    Friends, those other things have an insidious way of keeping you from living even as you live; vying for your attention, competing for your affections.
    They rob you of the joy of this unrepeatable, uncontainable, ever-evaporating Now with those who love you and want only to share it with you.
    Don’t miss the chance to dance with them while you can.

It’s easy to waste so much daylight in the days before you die.
    Don’t let your life be stolen every day by all that you’ve been led to believe matters, because on the day you die, the fact is that much of it simply won’t.
    Yes, you and I will die one day.
    But before that day comes: let us live.

Boolit Master

Pancreatic cancer just took my nephew yesterday. He was a fun person to be around. He was very close to his father (my brother). It will be hard to deal with the loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast