Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Long Ranger 358 winchester

Boolit Grand Master

Henry Long Ranger 358 winchester

I've really been hoping for a Henry 358 winchester, and it seems it could be a possibility. I had noticed others have shown interest in the same thing, so I emailed Henry, and got a promising response. I also asked for 1:14" twist. I think now would be the time for everyone to email Henry and let them know that you would like to see this happen. I don't think its even possible to have a better hunting rifle, especially for cast bullets.

Thank you for your interest in Henry and for reaching out. We do plan on expanding the Long Ranger lineup in the near future. No word on specific calibers yet but keep an eye on us for any official announcement. As for the loop, I have been told we should have them on our website as an add on in the next month or so. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Patrick Hall

Customer Service

Henry Repeating Arms Company

59 E 1st Street

Bayonne, NJ 07002

Tel. (201) 858-4400

Fax (201) 858-4435

" Henry Rifles Will Be Made In America or They Won't Be Made At All"

Follow us!

Facebook – facebook.com/HenryRepeating

Twitter – twitter.com/henryrifles

Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 10:14 PM
    To: patrick@henryusa.com
    Subject: Contact Message - Henry Repeating Arms

If I wanted another .358W, and liked the Long Ranger, I'd obtain one in .243 or .308 & send it to Jess ( www.35caliber.com ) for a rebore to .358".

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remembrance
    Or wait and save a couple of bills. If they already have intentions of expanding the lone ranger line, the 358 would make perfect sense.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, the rifles aren't cheap with a street price of around $850-$900, then tack on the extra work. Nothing is official, but I have high hopes that they will come out with a 35 caliber. Also, I had asked about big loop levers, and you can see they will be available in the next few months for the long ranger model. I've tried the regular levers, and they are uncomfortable.

A Henry long ranger with iron sights, topped with quick detach rings and a leupold 2-7x, 1:14" twist, big loop lever, 358 winchester, and fed with big cast bullets. I do not think a better hunting rifle could ever exist.

In Remembrance
    I would not call it the holy grail myself, but sure wouldn't mind seeing it on the market.
    I have a hard time thinking it would top a 99 savage in 358,or really even compare, but that is just my opinion, and they AIN"T making any more of them either.

Boolit Master
    I hope for a 450 Marlin !!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    I hope for a 450 Marlin !!!!!!!!
    I don't think it's likely, the Long ranger is based on the 308 win family.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I don't think it's likely, the Long ranger is based on the 308 win family.
    and .223
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    Since Browning, Winchester & Marlin didn't get very far with the .356/.358 cartridge my bet is that the marketing department at Henry is looking more towards the new whiz-bang 6.5mm's as an option.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    and .223
    https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
    Since Browning, Winchester & Marlin didn't get very far with the .356/.358 cartridge my bet is that the marketing department at Henry is looking more towards the new whiz-bang 6.5mm's as an option.
    Tend to agree. While the .358 may be a cast bullet hunters dream....cast bulllet hunters are a relatively minor sub group of hunters. And anyone really wanting one can buy the BLR in .358 at about the same price point....so where is the market?

The 7mm/08 or .260 will have broader appeal.
    Don Verna

In Remembrance
    I would not say that the browning in 358 was a failure by any means, many of them were sold and still in use. Win and marlin never as far as I know actually did the 358 thing, 356 is a nice round, but a not needed copy that just never caught on.

I would love to have a Model 99 in 358, but when you do see one,it is generally pricey, several folks has had them converted. I think there will be a market for the henrys, there are enough folks that like the cartridge, but are not fond of the browning.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think the Long ranger will ever be a huge seller regardless of caliber. Henry knows that. They brought out 41 mag and 327 federal Big boy models, they will not be long-term sellers. I bet they sold well last year, and probably this year before everyone that wanted one, got one. If people want a 358 winchester, and almost everyone on this forum does, Henry will build one. You just have to let them know. I'd bet they have a 6.5/7mm in the works. I don't think people are as crazy about the high powered small bores like they used to. The 338 federal has caught on reasonably well with it's moderate velocities, which is another possibility for this rifle. Myself, I didn't like the BLR at all. In fact, the only modern Browning I ever liked was their BPS shotgun, and I still prefer Mossberg. Their older Auto 5's 16 and 12 gauge are phenomenal. I also put a large importance on USA made firearms. That's for the individual to decide, but Henry will make a 358 if asked.

In Remembrance
    Since it is already offered in 308, it would be a minor step to produce it in 358.

All lever actions just have a certain percentage of the market, Browning has been the only game in town for these rounds for a number of years. I suspect Henry will get their share of the pie.
    I don't have a need in the world for any of these, but the 223 has sparked an interest.

I could do a .338.
    Want a .41 in their single shot.

I talked to henry repeating arms in late ‘16 or early ‘17 and was told that the long ranger would be available sometime in 2018 chambered in 358win
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I would not say that the browning in 358 was a failure by any means, many of them were sold and still in use. Win and marlin never as far as I know actually did the 358 thing, 356 is a nice round, but a not needed copy that just never caught on.

I would love to have a Model 99 in 358, but when you do see one,it is generally pricey, several folks has had them converted. I think there will be a market for the henrys, there are enough folks that like the cartridge, but are not fond of the browning.
    I had a Browning 358 TD model gave it to my son it's a nice nice rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by flhroy View Post
    I talked to henry repeating arms in late ‘16 or early ‘17 and was told that the long ranger would be available sometime in 2018 chambered in 358win
    Well, now I know what to spend my tax return on!

Boolit Mold
    bad 'news'

just received this answer from'anthony(at)henryusa.com'

Thank you very much for owning a Henry Golden Boy and for your continued interest in our product line. I certainly appreciate it. I am sorry but no plans for a 358 and its not on our radar.
    We will keep you posted however on all that is new at Henry and thank you again.

Sincerely,

Anthony Imperato
    President
    Henry Repeating Arms

i did take the liberty to link this thread

Boolit Buddy
    I am not banging on Henry at all here, but i knew it was a long shot for them to bring out a 358 Win Long Ranger.

There are just way more expenses involved than many think in running "just another caliber " in a rifle line. Seems cheap and easy, reality in manufacturing is different.

That is why when a BLR popped up it made a new home at my house, and shortly alfter there was a 358 Win Ruger GSR beside it....rebored by JES.

Happy, Happy, Happy.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

While Henry may not produce a .358 Long Ranger, I think that they would do well to produce this rifle with a high polished anodized black receiver like the BLR. For me the matte receiver finish is not attractive.

The LR has some nice features that the BLR lacks, like a traditional trigger that does not travel with the lever, and a modular trigger group and lever assembly which facilitates (rather than discourages) disassembly and reassembly by the owner.

I think that Henry is smart to go with the most popular cartridges like .308 and .243 to begin with, and to only expand the cartridge line-up if a significant demand exists. I also think that the Long Ranger is going to remain a good seller for a long time.

Boolit Master

A couple years ago, Ruger tooled up to make 300 Ruger American Rifles in 358 Winchester. I understand every 358 Winchester fan might not want an American, but they sat out there for several months. Not a hearty endorsement of the general demand for the caliber.

Forum members might have accounted for a half dozen of them based on comments I saw. A fellow at the range bought one after seeing mine.

Maybe if you could get a group buy together for 300 rifles, you could get them to build it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast