MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your experiance needed

Boolit Master

your experiance needed

Has anyone had experience buying used police handguns? Looking at quality - abuse done to weapon Kevin

I would respectfully suggest you pose your question in our handgun (wheelguns, pistols & hand cannons) section, ILO here in the factory rifle section.

FWIW, a used PD handgun should NEVER be bought w/o a personal, hands-on inspection.

The lookie-loo depends upon what type of used police handgun the prospect is, an autoloader or a revolver (Yes, some PD revolver's are on the market).

If it's an autoloader, there's not much that cannot be easily fixed via parts replacement - but I would definitely take the slide off & check the frame for cracks (a deal breaker) or other abuse.

OTOH, a revolver need some VERY close checks:

1) Check for a sprung crane, which is a deal-breaker (look at the front with the cylinder closed - the joint between the frame & the crane should be tight & straight)

2) Check that each chamber aligns/indexes exactly with the barrel centerline via looking down the bore - any sliver of chamber mouth one either side of the barrel/throat, from any chamber, would indicate a ($$$) repair.

3) Check that the edges of the sideplate (on the frame) are not buggered - a sign of inept access for who knows what reason & also a deal-breaker for me.

4) Check the sear engagement via pushing hard/forward on the cocked hammer (with the cylinder opened & the cylinder latch held back so the hammer/trigger can be operated).

Finish issues on either type of handgun are usually only cosmetic (except for deep pitting of the metal), and YMMV whether the cosmetics can be lived with (or not).

Grips, sights & magazines are generally easily replaceable - but make good material for price dickering.........

Good Luck !

Last edited by pietro; 03-22-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have two colts a official police with 6 inch barrel. I used it for bulls eye and falling plate. the other is a police positive special with 6 inch barrel. it shoots good the wife has clamed it. the third is a s&w 38-44 heavy duty with 5 inch barrel and again it is a tack driver. it does like the heavier loads. allhadblue wear but not beat up and inside are like new.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have two colts a official police with 6 inch barrel. I used it for bulls eye and falling plate. the other is a police positive special with 6 inch barrel. it shoots good the wife has clamed it. the third is a s&w 38-44 heavy duty with 5 inch barrel and again it is a tack driver. it does like the heavier loads. allhadblue wear but not beat up and inside are like new.

I'm unclear about your reply, since not all "Police" model handguns are used/surplus PD equipment ( many were also sold commercially by both Colt and S&W) - were your revolvers actually once PD property, or are they used commercial "police" models ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    KB -

Howdy !

FWIW -

I $$$ a fixed-sight 4" "N" frame M-520 . 357Mag, that was a former NYSP gun.
    It was superbly maintained, and had no issues.

It now sports a heavy custom 4" barrel, bobbed hammer, smooth combat trigger; and Herrett's ""Jordan Trooper " stocks.
    'Been my carry gun for 25+yr.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

I got a Glock 21 from a batch of Police trade ins when we were in Florida. It seemed to be heavily carried but lightly shot. Works fine.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    I have bought the Star BM Spanish police trade in. It is in very good shape like new.also shoots great. The Bretta 92fs Italian police trade in has holster wear but is also very good shape and shoots like it. The S&w model 64 4 in barrel stanless 38 special was in very good shape that I ordered. It has a few spots from holster wear but very nice trigger and very tight. Only problem was the right grip was worn slick on the bottom on a small spot replaced with a new set from a member one this site for 20$. The newest 38 S&w model 10 I got police trade in was really nice very very good trigger 4 in barrel blued. Only a few small cosmetic spots but the gun looks like it was shot very little with brand new looking grips. All guns where ordered with out looking at them first . I guess I got lucky

I bought a Sig 229 that was a police trade-in. Gun is in excellent condition. I found out about it from one of my friends who happens to be retired from that department and knows the officer who originally carried it. Kinda cool having that connection.

Boolit Master
    the two colts were littlestown pa. p.d. guns they were traded in for a pump shotgun.

Boolit Master

most of the police trade in auto's have quite a bit of holster wear, but are otherwise solid guns.

Boolit Master
    I bought a police trade in Sig P229 in 357 Sig. the finish is pretty beat up but the slide is tight, the bore is pristine, night sights still glow brightly, and it shoots very well. Picked it up for less than half the price of new and it came with one used mag in the gun and 4 brand new ones in the plastic wrap covered in oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought 3 S&W .38 Special police trade ins ( two M10 & one M15) and a Glock 22. All had holster marks but that was the only problem. Unlike used Police Cars, used Police Sidearms typically weren't abused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a former PD revolver, S&W Model 64 in 38 Special + P-- superb revolver and in very good condition. It certainly makes sense to check the condition before you buy. However, contrary to the impression you get from TV these days, most police weapons never get used except for target practice. They tend to be much better taken care of than any other used weapon.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Just got a "police trade in" FN, sold as used but from what I understand never issued but the department did take delivery so had to be sold as used, so for about $150 under retail I got a fine .45 ACP handgun and 4 hi cap mags and two mag holders and a cleaning kit in nice hard case. So deals and gems can be found, I've bought 870 police trade ins as well and a smith revolver, all used hard but not trashed and good bargains.

Boolit Master
    S&W model 10 in 38 special hands on inspection and a Sig West German P6 in 9mm. Sig has holster wear on the slide but shoots great. Frank

Banned

I picked up a 22 glock that came from the Washington state police and it looks like it never even saw a holster. I don't know if it was one of there spares but it had been shot but if you didn't tear it down you wouldn't have know it from new. Ill say one thing about police trades that might make you more comfortable. Most of them are shot very little. Most police forces today don't have money for a lot of practice ammo. The ones around here get ammo to qualify but if they want practice they have to buy it themselves. I doubt a whole lot of them are going to even buy 2 boxes of ammo a year. Most of the wear on police trade ins I see is finish wear from riding in a holster. Also just about all police departments FORBID troppers from altering there guns in anyway. Some even have armorers that will clean there guns for them. Personaly id take a police trade in over about any used gun. Big mistake I made was years ago when the MI prison guard revolvers hit the used gun shelves. they were selling real nice 15s, 64s and 10s for between a 100 and a 150 bucks. I bought two nice 64s and two nice 15s one about like new. Like a dummy I gave 3 of them to buddys and relatives and only have one 15 left. If that deal came down again today id go to the bank and take out a lone and buy everyone I could get my hands on.

Boolit Grand Master
    typically, when a larger police agency gos to a new gun, all the department owned guns get traded in. Some have been in holsters for years and have had thousands of rounds run through them, and some will be new in the box waiting for the next academy class to start. There will be guns in every condition in between. Twenty years back, when the Los Angeles Police Department traded in their Model 15's and 14's, the finish ran from excreble to excellent, yet everyone i looked at was at least serviceable. Police Usage does not deter me at all.

I have bought something like 20 Police trade ins and they have ranged from really crusty to NIB. I absolutely agree that you have to look at them. Carefully look at them. Very carefully look at them. Right now I have 7 police trade ins; 4 S&W Revolvers, a P6 Sig, A Beretta 84f, and a S&W Model 39-2, all of which were cheerfully purchased on the cheap, 50-60% of new, after careful inspection.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Some years back I bought a Smith & Wesson 610, 10mm revolver, which was in a batch a gunshop in Holcomb, (near Rochester), NY had purchased from a police department. It looked great, and the price was also great so it followed me home. Taking it to range, I quickly learned that it functioned -- e.g., fired the bullet -- maybe 50% of the time, at most. Before tears, I took it to a local gunshop, where owner's dad came to rescue advising he had IDENTICAL problem with an N frame revolver he had had The problem was someone put Pachymyr grips on it, and the grip screw contacted main spring, behind it. The solution? I put a set of Hogue grips which's screw did NOT come close to spring -- and it was, for many years, my most accurate, favorite revolver -- functioning 100%!
    The operational answer to your question is, "why did police turn them in?"
    BEST!
    geo

Banned

where was I when a 610 showed up in a police trade in batch. Unreal grab there.

Boolit Master
    Most police handguns have only holster wear and tear. The guns get used very little. Most police only shoot the guns for their annual or semi- annual qualification requirements. So inspecting it is a good idea. There are some guys who practice a lot and others who don’t. But most wear is typically cosmetic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast