MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for turret labeling ?

Boolit Master

Question Suggestions for turret labeling ?

I have 6 Lee 4 hole turrets right now holding 380ACP/9MM/38S/357M/44M/45ACP dies & other than looking at the die markings, I was trying to figure out a good way to easily mark them according to caliber without having to look at the small caliber designations on the dies. Some way that would make it easy to ID them separately just by a glance.

I am trying to do it without permanently marking them, like in using an "etcher", or an "engraver", in case in the future I want to change the turret(s) to some other caliber.

Some of the ideas I have come up with are:
    • Color coded by marker
    • Color coded by paint
    • Color coded by fingernail polish
    • taping a label to one of the dies in the turret for each caliber

I figure there may be a better way, so I am asking here for any other suggestions that might work to "non - permanently" designate each current caliber/turret.

I also have been considering making a "shelf" set with holes in it for each turret & then just labeling the shelf/shelves, but I have not made anything for them yet & was thinking it would be good to mark the individual turrets as well as mark the shelf holes, just in case.

Anyone have any good ideas?

"Thanks!", in advance, if anyone can help out!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pmb_IMG_6241_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	216862

Depending on how you value your time, these are available from hardline for $16
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    For labeling my Hollywood Senior Turret, I use the cardboard sleeve from primer packaging and cut into @ 1" square, then use a three ring binder punch to punch one hole in it. That hole will fit over the exposed stem of the decapping or expander that's sticking out the top of the die. Writing down any pertinent information on the homemade tag. I use a nylon lock nut, just snugged down, atop these dies to prevent scratching my forearms on the exposed rod threads..... which also prevents inadvertent removal of said tag.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    I used a fine tip Sharpie. I wrote on the side of the turret. If you need to remove it later, brake cleaner will take it off.

Boolit Master
    I use the yellowish tape. I call it drafting tape. Make band out of it that fits around and between 2 of the dies. Print the caliber and whatever inf. is important for re-setups. I keep a record of die setup numbers. Top of die body to locknut, Top of bullet seating stem to top of die body.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panman213 View Post
    I used a fine tip Sharpie. I wrote on the side of the turret. If you need to remove it later, brake cleaner will take it off.
    You beat me to it. And I just use denatured alcohol to remove the markings. Black Sharpie on bright backgrounds, Silver Sharpie on dark backgrounds.

A label maker is another possibility. it produces print on a small strip that is fairly durable but easily removed.

Banned
    By the way, that plate posted by jcren in post #2 is Slick !

Boolit Bub

I store mine in the lee round die box. I use a black marker to put the caliber on the side of the box.

Boolit Master
    Sharpie - black usually, wipe off with alcohol or solvent

Boolit Grand Master

My Wife recently bought me an inexpensive label maker that has proven to be very useful in the loading room. One of those would work great. A sharpie would also work. It just depends on how neat you want it to be.

Boolit Master

I store them in the Lee Die boxes, the round ones and I use a label maker to label the top and sides of each container.

Not my pic:
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    cheap label maker , casio

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post

Name:	pmb_IMG_6241_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	216862

Depending on how you value your time, these are available from hardline for $16
    I've seen those and considered getting them along with the rail they sell to hang them on the wall next to the press. Just concerned with having them open, TN can get quite humid sometimes and though now I am in the house, was in the shed, I still have my doubts.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckerbird View Post
    I store mine in the lee round die box. I use a black marker to put the caliber on the side of the box.
    same here for the rifle turrets.
    pistol turrets have a powder measure attached and the entire assembly is stored in the powder measure box labelled accordingly.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master
    Not too expensive and the labels look good...if that matters. I have used a Sharpie but it looks like ****.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X9VZ70...132917987&th=1
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Brother label maker that uses 3/8" plastic tape. White background w/black lettering. Fits between the dies installed on a turret and oil/solvent doesn't harm. I have 9 so marked, some 13 years old.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	216875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	216876
    I made shelves for my turrets and cut the holes to fit with a jigsaw. They fit nice and keeps things neat and orderly.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    About those label makers....

My wife bought on for me at Christmas time and I made labels for my Dillon turret storage bases. I can tell at a glance which caliber is needed, BUT I noticed the other day that the labels are beginning to peel! They've been on there about 10 years now and the stickum is going bad, so maybe that's normal, but still.......

Banned
    I built little shelves with holes drilled in them for the dies to fit in and labeled the shelves. Next, to the shelves, I have a screw protruding to hang the appropriate shell plate on and I mark the side of the touret with a sharpie.
    Last edited by Grmps; 03-22-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	216897I at one point had a bunch of Avery address labels left over from something and made up a bunch with load data on them to stick on ammo boxes. They just so happen to be about the same dimensions as the flat on the side of a xl650 tool head. I mostly just use them for 9mm because I have a couple of tool heads set for different loads and bullet profiles in 9mm other calibres I mostly find one load that works in everything and stick to it.

When I had a Lee press I would stick the labels on either the powder measure or around one of the dies depending if it was a load that I had a dedicated measure for.
    Last edited by Papercidal; 03-22-2018 at 07:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast