Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Turret Press for 45-70, 300BLK, and .458 SOCOM (Bad Idea?, Good Idea?)

Boolit Mold

Lee Classic Turret Press for 45-70, 300BLK, and .458 SOCOM (Bad Idea?, Good Idea?)

It has been over a year since I last posted but haven't let that year go completely to waste. I was able to obtain and melt down about 400lb of wheel weights which should be a nice stockpile for a little while. I am finally looking at picking up a press and some molds.

I know people are particular about their presses but I was looking for input from the members here, I don't want to shell out for a progressive press and at this time not sure I shoot enough to make it worthwhile. If that changes I will look at upgrading my press in the future. Also with my current workbench limitations I am not looking to pickup a large press.

My current thought process is the Lee Classic Turret Press,(Price is also in my range of affordable) I like the auto index feature since it allows me to produce bullets faster while still focusing on one bullet at a time. I can also turn it into a single stage press just by removing the auto index. So I have been keeping an eye on armslist and the swappin & sellin forum looking for a used one which I hope to pickup. Unless there is some strong reason I need to buy it new from Titan Reloading. The question I have is am I making a mistake going with this press and if so why?

On to the casting portion I have a Lee 20lb melting pot on it's way now so I am set to melt all my ingots but I still don't have any molds. I plan on powder coating so my understanding is I should only need a plain base mold not one built for a gas check.

For 45-70 and .458 SOCOM I was looking at picking up a lighter weight bullet around 300 grains and one very large round over 500 grains close to 600 would be my goal. With 300BLK I don't have a suppressor and don't see one in my near future so I was planning on all supersonic rounds to begin with weighing around 125 grains. In both cases I was looking for a mold with 4 or 5 cavities and I am looking for any recommendations as to molds and mold manufactures.

I load everything from .380 to 45-70 on a Lee Classic, and have for several years and several thousand rounds. The haters are coming, but trust me, it will do everything you need it to do.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I own one of the Lee Classic Cast Turret presses and it does everything I hoped it would.
    I load several pistol cartridges on it and get 150 rounds an hour of excellent ammunition quite easily.
    I also use it to load 223, 243, 308, and 30-06. The ammunition it produces will shoot under minute of angle consistently in my rifles.
    I don't normally try for high volume loading when making rifle cartridges, but with 223 I can still get nearly 150 rounds per hour. I use the auto index when loading 223 but not the other calibers.

Boolit Mold
    Great all good things to hear, I didn't know you could get up to 150 rounds an hour with it, that is impressive.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Lee turret press for 44Mag, 45-70, and 308. Not "fast" like my Dillon 550B for 45ACP, but I actually enjoy the turret press. I do the typical 4x dies: resize, expand, bullet seat, and crimp. I install primers by hand on an RCBS hand operated tool. I change the whole turret and the shell holder and I am set - never have to re-adjust anything when I switch calibers.

Note that I disabled the auto rotating parts, so mine is purely manual to move from one die station to the next. Works great

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    I use a Lee turret press for 44Mag, 45-70, and 308. Not "fast" like my Dillon 550B for 45ACP, but I actually enjoy the turret press. I do the typical 4x dies: resize, expand, bullet seat, and crimp. I install primers by hand on an RCBS hand operated tool. I change the whole turret and the shell holder and I am set - never have to re-adjust anything when I switch calibers.

Note that I disabled the auto rotating parts, so mine is purely manual to move from one die station to the next. Works great
    Now I thought the Lee turret press had a setup for installing primers on the downstroke. Is there any reason you don't use this feature?

I'm A Honcho!
    That priming function is great.
    My safety primes work like clock work as long as the are set up square to the priming arm.

You will love the classic cast!!
    It would be my last press if I had to down size the herd!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post
    My safety primes work like clock work as long as the are set up square to the priming arm.

That would explain why I have a hard time finding used ones to purchase. Good to know that would be your last press if you had to downsize the bad news though is maybe I should just buy a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post

I also use the priming system that comes with the press. Much faster than priming separately.
    I have tried other presses but this is currently the only press I use to reload with.
    I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it.

Boolit Bub
    I use it for a bunch of different pistol cartridges from 380 acp to 45colt also for '06, 308, 45/70, 223. I did get a kit that allows it to auto rotate clockwise in order to eject the finished round into a bin. It seems to make it a bit faster when loading for higher volume like 9mm or 45acp. I do like the fact that one can remove the index rod and use it as a single stage. That helps me when loading rifle cartridges.

Banned
    I use my Lee Classic Turret for at least 14 different calibers, the largest being 45-70. I used to own a Handi rifle in 45-70 but not any more.

The Classic Turret loads everything that I want it to load and I get excellent ammo.

But be sure to read the instructions on the die sets. All of my dies have a carbide sizing die which means I don't need case lube. All of them except 45-70.

The 45-70 sizing die in my Lee set is steel. I taped a note to them to remind me to use case lube. A few spritzes with RCBS case lube and it's off to the races.

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I load everything from .380 to 45-70 on a Lee Classic, and have for several years and several thousand rounds. The haters are coming, but trust me, it will do everything you need it to do.
    I am with trails4u. I have used a Lee Classic Press for about 10 years and have been very satisfied with it. I did break it after years of use, but it was well used before I got it too. I have found the Lee customer service to be very helpful and good. Although they did not replace the press, they did offer me 1/2 the price of a new one in whatever model I wanted. I reload many many different cartridges and although it is not as fast as a progressive, it odes everything I want it to do from .380 to 44 Mag, and 223 to 300 Weatherby and 45-70. I like the fact that it is a single stage press because it makes me take my time and be more careful than something as automatic as a progressive press. I enjoy reloading as much (if not more) than shooting. I would definitely recommend it.

Bill

Boolit Mold
    Great seems like my press decision was a good one then, as for the dies I always plan to use a carbide sizing die so I never have to use lube.

Any recommendations for molds within the specs I listed above?

Boolit Master
    I'm going to assume the .300 BLK is being shot in some type of semi-auto. It's my experience that PC does not remove the need for a gas check. I find that 2 cavity iron or aluminum molds work just fine for me. If I used a 4 cavity iron mold my wrists would fail me in short order.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master

I too, have used a Lee turret for all my reloading from 9mm through 7.62x54r and 30-06. Mine is the old style with cast aluminum base and I also removed the auto index feature and hand indexed for mebbe 18 years. I chose to use my press, hand indexing, more like a single stage and not a semi-progressive as I charged off press and mostly batch loaded. I also primed on the press with the clunky stock priming arm and on two of my turrets I installed a ram prime along with the dies. I also used my turret press for sizing cast bullets; just installed 4 Lee sizing dies and sized away. In 18+ years nothing ever broke and any problems with my finished ammo was not the fault of the press...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I had one of the older turret presses, and reloaded all my calibers with it. I got the bug to "upgrade" to the classic cast and found one here in the S&S section, am sure glad I did. I had way too many 3-hole turrets, and really only use three dies, so I converted it over to a 3-hole press instead of buying all new 4-hole turrets. I lost the ability to index, due to the turrets having a different shapped hole for the index rod (may make one), but I only use it as a single stage anyway, so no real loss. The linkage is much better and can do much longer cases now. Also the primer catch mechanism is much improved, not a one dropped on the floor so far. I love the ability to change calibers in a couple seconds flat.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    My Lee turret press was bought new about 35 years ago and it is the only press I have owned. I have loaded as the largest calibers .375 H&H and 450/400, along with a number of other calibers. It has given no problems except for a broken handle which Lee replaced for a small fee. I have been happy with this press.

Quote Originally Posted by WGD118 View Post
    Great seems like my press decision was a good one then, as for the dies I always plan to use a carbide sizing die so I never have to use lube.

Any recommendations for molds within the specs I listed above?

Nothing wrong at all with the Classic Turret. I don't own one now but have in the past and had no "issues" with it I just went in a different direction for my needs. As for the molds, again, nothing wrong with the Lee 6 banger molds. I do have a couple of those and if used "judiciously" they will work well indeed. As for carbide dies, they come in handgun calibers only ( Dillon I believe does make them for a couple calibers but not in what you're looking to reload). While case lube is not "needed" with carbide dies they will work easier if a little lube is used. A spray lube is all that would be needed and just a small amount at that. For the calibers you're looking to reload for it may work also but if you do use something like Hornady One Shot make sure you wait a few minutes after spraying the cases for the spray to dry. Most don't use it for rifle cases of any size. Welcome to the money pit of reloading, it's sorta like buying a boat.....

Boolit Bub
    Over the last 30 years we sold over 1000's Lee turret presses and I use a Lee 4 hole turret press myself. It sets on my loading bench beside my 2 Dillon 550's, Dillon 650 and Dillon 1050. The Lee turret press was my go to press for new load testing and then setup a Dillon for large numbers.
    IMHO the ones who knock the Lee press are the ones who would not stood that low in their minds to use one. Their great loss.

Even Dillon carbide rifle dies still need lubed brass. The carbide rifle is made for sizing a large number of brass over time.

Boolit Man
    I absolutely love my LCT. $105.95 at midsouth right now....and turrets $9.95 each.

This is one of, if not the, best press deals that can be had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast