WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a new model SIG 210?

Boolit Buddy

Do I need a new model SIG 210?

Gents, I saw a while back on an email that SIG was making an updated version of the the SIG 210 in 9mm. A recent magazine arrived with a review, which I, for the most part always take as a thanks for advertising with us review. I'm not a big fan of the 9mm and have only a a S&W P99 in the safe at this time, and it's only there because I got a fantastic deal on it about 20 or so years ago (don't think I've fired it in 15+ years either). I had to carry a Glock 17 early in my career (actually was a 1st generation one) and never warmed up to the Glock or the 9mm for that matter. In the past few years, I've given some thought to trying to track down a nice original S&W 539, only because I like steel frame single stack autos, but not a real huge fan of the 1911 platform either. I have only once held a SIG 210, a very long time ago, 30 plus years, but it seemed to make an impression on me. I recall it being, very tight, but incredibly smooth. So fast forward to 2018 - I really, really don't need a 9mm. I really, really can't afford a S&W PC 952. I don't shoot competition, nor have any desire to, but I feel the overwhelming desire to own a nice SIG P210. I have no desire to collect an really nice older version, but I think with all my other things that go bang, that I could find room in my life to thoroughly enjoy a really nice, well built 9mm for 100-200 rds a year. I would truly appreciate any thoughts either way, my life would go on with out it, I don't think it would be greater with it, but I may enjoy it more! Bill in MA

Banned
    Attachment 216842

I have a SIG P210 and it is one of the best 9mm SA pistols I've ever shot. They really are built like Swiss watches.

The design dates back to the 1940's and the model 49 was adopted by the Swiss army in 1949. (hence the model 49 designation)

The pistol incorporates some very good features. Full length, inside the frame slide rails, A removable fire control unit (Hammer,sear, hammer spring), all steel construction. The pistol utilizes a Browning short recoil system with a barrel link similar to a 1911.

It is one of the most accurate, reliable and durable 9mm pistols you will find.

If you really want a good 9mm, the P210 is a candidate.

Now, I just went and looked at the SIG webpage and I see that the new P210 is considerably different than the old model. The new P210 has a 1911 style mag release and the safety is clearly different. I can't vouch for the new model.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-21-2018 at 05:12 PM. Reason: update

Boolit Master
    Need is irrelevant..........question is DO YOU WANT ONE???
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it's different, I'm certainly not well versed in SIG 210's and I know that there are different variants out there. I really think that I'm talking myself into an expensive, seldom used handgun. To break it down simply, I really think "I'd love to drive a Mercedes Benz, rather than a Chevrolet".......but for no other reason than I want to!.....same size hole in the target and maybe a bit closer than the previous hole, but at this stage in my life, I think I'd like to try it out. These are new enough, that I'm not expecting reviews from new owners, maybe more of a case of talking me in or out of spending $1500+.....at near 60, I'm hoping this is a passing phase, maybe a type of mid life crisis! Thanks for your opinions - Bill

Boolit Buddy

Don't have a P210 but do have a S&W 952 along with 2 Sig P220s. If you can see yourself clear to buy the 210, I would. There is something fun about shooting groups under 2" @ 50 yards!

Boolit Grand Master
    The SIG Model P-210 is one of those "Grail Guns" for me to dream about having. I actually came close to owning an older variant of this model about 15 years ago. It was for sale in a presentation case assembled in 9mm, and had swap barrel and spring in 30 Luger and a 22 LR sub-caliber unit as well. Price was $3300.

Other Grail Guns.......S&W Model 16 (the original Masterpiece x 6" in 32 S&W Long); Walther GSP target pistol (22 LR/32 S&W Long WC convertible).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    What we are talking about is a: single action pistol, with a single stack mag, that uses the Browning short recoil system, that is made of steel and has a reputation for accuracy.

If it were not for the single stack requirement, I would suggest a CZ-75 as a less expensive alternative.
    A well fitted Kimber Stainless Target chambered in 9mm would probably scratch that itch for a little less money (maybe a couple of hundred less ?)

I can't tell you what to do. That's a fair amount of money for something that is essentially a target pistol (although it could be used for other tasks). The old P210's are well made pistols and will last a lifetime. If you want to drive a Mercedes but don't want to pay for a Mercedes, don't buy a Mercedes.
    I don't know what kind of gun laws Massachusetts has concerning the sale of a pistol, but I don't think you'll get all of your money back if you decide you want to sell that gun at a later date.
    If at all possible, shoot one before you buy one. You may find that to you it's just another pistol OR you may find it's THE pistol for you.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Master

To be clear, I would absolutely, positively give a home to an original P210 should the opportunity arise. How the newer ones rate on the sexiness scale, I cannot say, but it probably IS safe to say that they are single-stack, Browning-pattern 9mm's that are capable of shooting far better than the average human can shoot them. It's also probably safe to say that it's the equivalent of a Ferrari with it's need for high octane gas and impossible to obtain parts.

On the other hand, you could land any number of Springfield 1911's that are ALSO single-stack, Browning-pattern 9mm's that are capable of shooting far better than the average human can shoot them, have the advantage of putting the entire Brownell's catalog for parts and accessories at your disposal, plus you get the ergonomic advantage of a trigger that slides straight to the rear in a track rather than one that pivots up and back on a pin.

No, it doesn't have the same cachet, but a 9mm 1911 IS a very sweet thing - to the point that I'd risk a certain amount of sacrilege to say it might be the round the gun wants to shoot.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    A well-made 1911-pattern pistol in 9mm is a VERY NICE THING, indeed.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    They are really really nice guns, do not see me owning one any time soon, seldom have that kind of cash to throw down on a toy. Not exactly a carry gun. The shop near me got a trade of a CZ shadow in 9mm. Whoever bought it new, fired it once and said was not as accurate as they felt it should be. Then bought a Sig 320 to replace it. I think they just bought it and realized the shadow is alot of gun to carry around all day. I would like to own it, but already have 2 CZ and a $1200 rifle on layaway at the same shop.

Boolit Master

I would like one.... Heck I would like a French M1935 (which is a lot like the P210)
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Do you have one? If not then you need one. See how simple it is.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    If you can afford and you want GET IT. IF you don't like it, get rid of it. Buying quality is never a mistake.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I would like one.... Heck I would like a French M1935 (which is a lot like the P210)
    /\ Very true /\

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you want it, buy it. Simple as that. I have wanted a Browning Hi-Power ever since I was a kid. I decided I was going to have one and literally saved pocket change for a couple of years. Had the opportunity to pick up some used ones but I decided that if I was going to this much trouble it would be for a new gun exactly the way I want it: polished blue, wood grips, adjustable sights. Took my rolls to the bank and swapped them for more than a grand worth of Franklins, then took those over to the shop along with a print out of the exact one I wanted from the Browning website. She showed up two days later and it is such a relief to have scratched that itch!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Only if you want the best shooting 9mm you will ever own! Groups of under 1" bench rest at 25 yards are not rare. Not a carry or a duty gun but a real target 9mm!

Boolit Grand Master

If you have the desire and the where with all , don't let time stop you...life's short , get it now and enjoy shooting it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Not a 9 fan, but best two I ever fired were a Luger and a Sig 210. Owned the Luger and couldn't get it back from overseas. Also where I fired the 210. If I could afford one, I would own one.

Boolit Mold
    Last edited by DukeSoprano; 03-22-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I can no longer afford to spend so much on a single pistol, but if you can here are some originals.

https://edelweissarms.com/pistols.ht...84u3lde426s162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast