Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Old Lube

Boolit Grand Master

Old Lube

I was digging around in my shop, the "lube section" and found an old can of liquid lube; Bullet Master Lube. Small can, 1/2 pint and yellow label. "Bullet Master Lube is a modern corrosion inhibiting lead bullet lubricant specifically formulated to decrease barrel leading and cut down smoke and vapors". Also a breakdown of chemicals/components; vehicle is a bunch of solvents and resins and Molybdenum Disulphide 75% . Sounds like an old "moly lube" formula. I know I have used it, but prolly not in the last 15-16 years and I have no record of how it works. I dip lubed about couple dozen 225 gr. lead RN 45 cal. bullets and I'll see..

Anybody remember this or have used it?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If it's the same stuff I'm remembering , I used some in the late seventies . Bought it from Brownell's , tried it out it didn't work very well .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I lubed the bullets as per the directions (I cleaned the bullets with brake clean, dipped and dried on a screen). I figgered out a load ans loaded them in some nickel plated brass. When I finished I got curious and pulled one. All the lube had been scraped/rubbed of by the case. (Nope not shaved and I had plenty of flare). Pulled another, same thing, all this "Bullet Master Lube" had been rubbbed off when seating/pulling, it would not stick to the bullets. It came off in a thin coat similar to dried rubber cement. I pulled all the rest and the bullets went into the scrap pot. Oh well...

sounds like the lube should go in the trash can unless you can use it for fluxing lead D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think it would work for flux either. Maybe when it was fresh it might have worked, after all I used 1/2 of the can at one time or the other. But in the trash it goes. I gotta break myself of keeping old stuff...

I picked up a dozen or so ancient tubes of lube from old casters getting out of the game.
    They ranged from brown to green to red, blue and were of various brands. Most read alox & bees wax content of some sort and were hard but sticky.
    I melted 'em all and mixed 'em 50/50 with one of the formulas boosted on this forum, making a mother of all lube batches.... and it's still working fine 10 years later, in rifles, pistols, door hinges, mower axles, boot seams, etc... I may never work it all off.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion