RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1891 mauser scope rings.

Boolit Master

1891 mauser scope rings.

I picked up an 1891 Angentine at the local shop not long ago. I came with a scope mounted and low safety. Whoever owned it before me did not know the proper ammo as it was marked '7mm mauser'. Something someone had in their closet sort of thing, probably shot it said man this thing is junk, so traded it off. But .287 bullets in a .314 barrel will do that.

Whoever did the work did a decent job. Stock is original but cut back, finished properly. Removed the factory irons, had a williams rear, new ramp soldered on in front. Still the full length barrel, crowned at some point. And came with a set of the one piece see thru rings, no brand on them. So its drilled already. Problem is they cut corners on the rear ring, there's only one screw holding it down, no way to use a second. 2 screws missing out of the upper ring to hold the scope down.

What fits these rifles, Kwik site sells a 'small ring mauser' set, one piece same as came on it. Is 1891 still small ring when it comes to mounts? I bought a set of mounts for a Spanish 93 action in 7mm. It came sporterized, some no name brand one piece mount that there was no way to even load the rifle. No sights, so bought some mounts, fit fine. Are they the same ones for the 2 rifles? The unmodified style, vs grinding off the stripper clip guide.

Its a good shooting rifle, with decent ammo. Some PPU the shop ordered for me is worthless, the bullets are .308-.310, .314 work fine in it. Worked up a good load using 4831. Still need to mess with some cast for it, bought the NOE 174gr spitzer mold. I touched up the crown. Only issue was the magazine, more than 1 round would not stay. I know they sell mags, but a couple screws in the mag well pushing on the sides provides plenty of tension so it will stay loaded.

Hopefully it is tapped for a Redfield one piece mount and the qwiksite mounts were an afterthought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Can you measure the spacing (center to center) from the rear hole D&T'd in the front receiver ring to the hole in the rear receiver ring?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    4.318in center to center rear hole to rear hole. The one piece that came with that 7mm from old west scrounger doesn't even come close to fitting. But looks like would work with the Warne bases I bought for the 7mm. After the gym, probably try those bases on the rifle.

The existing rings are worthless, not even the same height. Somebody drilled 2 holes in the rear but only used one. Had an old Bushnell scope with the german style reticle.

Boolit Master
    What is the actual caliber? Seems strange that it's marked 7mm Mauser but a .314 bullet fits.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Its your standard 7.65x53 rifle. They do not mark them as to caliber like civilian rifles. Whoever owned it did not know what google was to look it up. The owner of the shop had never even heard of the caliber, so tagged it going off what the guy said when he traded it. Had a partial box of 7mm mauser, yeap it will chamber and fire. He carries alot of odd ammo but guess I'm the first to ask for any 7.65, probably the last. Story I got was it had been in a closet for 30 years or so, elderly guy had it.

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure and check the calibre before you shoot as I have had a few of these rebarreled in &mm Mauser. All excellent shooters by the way. The 91 takes small ring mauser mounts.

Boolit Master
    Its original barrel in original cal. No way an 8mm is going down the tube. I tried the warne bases, front fits fine, back, little filing and it will fit, except for the holes. Both will not line up. Not like you can move a hole. Can you get away with a single screw in back? Or relocate the one hole to the middle of the slot?

One nice thing is whoever did the work, cut and welded the bolt handle. So can mount pretty low. The 7mm has the bent handle so requires scope to be pretty high to clear.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010574.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	216935

Well got it mounted. A small ring mauser base sort of fits an 1891. 3 spots had to be relieved. later mausers do not have that curved bolt release, the mount is in the way a little. And guess the slot of the stripper clip is taller, the underside had to be relieved. And for the bolt to clear in back. Whoever did the other rings did some good work, the rest questionable. They used same height rings, which presented problems so guess why they left screws out, so not to break the scope. And the single screw holding it down was working its way thru the aluminum. Might put a boyds stock on it eventually.

Boolit Master
    Yea thanks for none of the help.

Boolit Master

That bolt is not in its original form.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1891 argiy.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	217109
    Original bolt is a straight handle.

It was chambered for the 7.65 Argentine so a .314" bore is standard for the caliber.

There. You've got some help.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

You should have a #55 rear and #45 front 2 piece Weaver bases. But I thought you had it lined out according to your vague posting. 3-4 people offered help and or advice in your thread. Good luck, nice attitude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk