RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingPBcastcoRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venison??

I had eat meat that was in the freezer for some time . What I do thaw it out is put it under water and it is ok.Like stated if it have some burn remove it. I had food poison also but it is not from what I had from the freezer . It was from a place I ate at.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Venison? Never good... Edible? Sure, but good? Nope. My freezer does have some steaks from a whitetail I shot coming out of a garbanzo bean field. That was the only good deer I've had. And I also have about 30lbs of moose steaks and burger. That is good meat!

Just finished 2 edible longhead doe tacos with home grown jalapeņos. Managed to gag them down.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    as long as its not brown black grey or smell funny go for it
    It may be the best you have ever had
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I say good to go. I've been picking through a few random pieces of 2013 venison roast that got buried. If nothing else, trim off the freezer burned spots, chunk it up, marinate, and make it into kabobs!

I agree with others . visually inspect , trim off the bad if any then it should be fine . I usually double wrap in freezer paper and it keeps pretty well . I've bottled ,(canned), elk and deer with great results . I've read that bottled venison should be eaten within 3 years but I've had some of mine that was stored much longer and it was just fine . Anyone know for sure on this ?

Home canned food stored in a cool dark place will keep a long time> As long as the seal is intact it is probably edible. May loose some flavor or vitamins but not be dangerous.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Moderator Emeritus

I eat stuff that old from the freezer all the time. I rendered down hog fat 6 years ago from a whole hog I bought. Poured it in canning jars and into the freezer. Still have 10 or 12 left... Last night I had 2 year old vacuum packed sweet corn, tasted fresh!

Boolit Buddy
    put in stew and eat up!

Boolit Buddy

Just last night while rummaging the freezer for today's dinner I found 7 lbs of Pork Tri-tip dated 6-11-13 wrapped in only the Butcher Paper from the Meat Counter. Let it thaw overnight and found it looked as if it was packaged recently, it has now been in the Crock Pot for about 5 hours and smells heavenly .....
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I had eat meat that was in the freezer for some time . What I do thaw it out is put it under water and it is ok.Like stated if it have some burn remove it. I had food poison also but it is not from what I had from the freezer . It was from a place I ate at.
    Ditto! Dang restaurant around the corner got me good. I will never eat there lunch or dinner again. Ever!

Moderator Emeritus

When I was in the hospital for a DVT they gave an entire floor either food poisoning or norovirus... either way felt like death for over a week and I didn't think it was possible to puke that many times in a row...

Boolit Grand Master

Both my Mom and my wife have a sure fire test...... Smell it after a little thawing out !
    If it smells good...eat it ! The smell test also works on fish, pork , chicken and milk .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12