Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Wilson Case Trimmer Holder

Boolit Bub

Wilson Case Trimmer Holder

Here’s a recent project for a Wilson Case Trimmer Holder. Came across the trimmer via a horse trading deal. I have used an RCBS trimmer for 25 years or so and have most of the pilots and all the collets. But this gave me an interesting option. My intent was to set it up to do a single caliber/case length and not change it. I also wanted the ease of swapping out the trimmer to another one that is set up to do a different caliber if another trimmer ever comes along. I don’t like the Wilson stands because they require the disassembly of the trimmer to put it on or take it off the stand and since one of the goals is to not to have to adjust it, I decided on this design. Thanks to a friend that has an awesome shop complete with a vertical mill and lathe along with some good sized aluminum pieces, this is the result.

Basically, it’s a couple blocks of aluminum bolted together to give the height needed to turn the crank with a groove milled in the top for the trimmer to drop down in. Two thumb screws hold the trimmer in place. Want to swap to another trimmer? No big deal. Loosen the thumb screws and lift. Drop in the other trimmer and tighten the thumb screws. Finger tight is all that’s required. This trimmer has been adjusted to trim to 1.750 and as long as I have it, that’s where it will stay. Yep, that’s 5.56/.223 specific although it will work on any case with a 1.750 trim to length with the proper shell holder. I ran 5 pieces of “test brass” across it once I got it adjusted and deburred them … the pic is of one of them. Don’t think I can get much closer than that.

OH …. I have it bolted to a 1 x 6 piece of Oak just like all of my loading gear except the press. Even though my work bench is 17 feet long, I don’t want space permanently taken up with trimmers, powder measures, priming press, and such. So I mount them on the oak and use C-clamps to clamp them to the bench when I use them and store them when I am not. It just takes seconds. My press is mounted on its own stand so I can move it out of the way as well. I have too many hobbies that require bench space! Typical old dude, I know! I would advise using the oak if you do this. Pine and Fir didn’t hold up to the C-Clamps too well. I have never replaced a piece of the oak in 15 years.

Enjoy ….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2464.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	216805

Name:	IMG_2465.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	216806

Name:	IMG_2466.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	216807

Name:	IMG_2455.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	216808
    Last edited by mew; 03-21-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    The best use of the Wilson case holders comes when using them in a 1" lathe collet.
    You can use them as jam chucks to hold cases to cut off necks after forming.
    They are especially useful for holding cases while you turn rims and machine new extractor grooves.
    They are by far the best chuck for a tapered case.
    EDG

Very nice! It would be nice to see something like this available for purchase. The Wilson trimmer is the cat's meow for accuracy and to make it caliber specific is the way to go.
    • Murder is illegal.
    • Attempting murder is illegal.
    • A felon owning a gun is illegal.
    • Shooting people indiscriminately is illegal.
    • Using firearms in a criminal manner is illegal.
    • Criminals do not go through background checks when purchasing illegal guns.
    • Explain how criminals will follow new laws.
    • Explain how new laws will make us safer.
    • Explain how restricting law-abiding citizens even more will make us safer.

You can’t? Then your argument is invalid.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim Sojourner View Post
    Very nice! It would be nice to see something like this available for purchase. The Wilson trimmer is the cat's meow for accuracy and to make it caliber specific is the way to go.
    I have the adapter on the way to use a portable drill to power it. That should speed things up a bit!

Moderator Emeritus

Pilgram Sojourner -- Sinclair ( https://www.sinclairintl.com/search/...ubmit=y&f_a=13 ) has 105 items related to this type product, including a stand. Frankly, I like the looks of MEW's better -- but you inquired re availability of product.
    geo

Thanks georgerkahn. I'm familiar with Sinclair and Wilson, but I really think that mew has a better mousetrap for the Wilson trimmer. A trimmer holder allowing for easy interchangeability would be really practical. I haven't seen one anywhere else.
    • Murder is illegal.
    • Attempting murder is illegal.
    • A felon owning a gun is illegal.
    • Shooting people indiscriminately is illegal.
    • Using firearms in a criminal manner is illegal.
    • Criminals do not go through background checks when purchasing illegal guns.
    • Explain how criminals will follow new laws.
    • Explain how new laws will make us safer.
    • Explain how restricting law-abiding citizens even more will make us safer.

You can’t? Then your argument is invalid.

Moderator Emeritus

For a shouldered case this trimmer beats them all hands down! I use one for .223 and you can run through 1k cases fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I really like my Wilson trimmer for most rifle cases. But for high volume trimming such as .223 the WFT is dang fast and good. Too expensive to have a WFT for every cartridge so the two methods work well to cover all bases. But if you buy a dedicated Wilson trimmer for ever cartridge then you might as well get the WFT for about the same price and have lots more speed. Personally don't see the need for a separate lathe trimmer per cartridge.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I really like my Wilson trimmer for most rifle cases. But for high volume trimming such as .223 the WFT is dang fast and good. Too expensive to have a WFT for every cartridge so the two methods work well to cover all bases. But if you buy a dedicated Wilson trimmer for ever cartridge then you might as well get the WFT for about the same price and have lots more speed. Personally don't see the need for a separate lathe trimmer per cartridge.
    I completely agree. Having a trimmer for each caliber would be prohibitively expensive and take up too much space. No intent to do that at all. Since I came across this trimmer in a bulk deal of loading stuff, I might have 5 bucks in it. Add the shell holder and its up to 20. I do have the drill adapter on the way but it is not necessary and more for me to just play with. High volume in 5.56/.223 for me is a couple hundred cases once or twice a year. I have a trimmer I use for all other calibers and this gives me something that I don't have to adjust for the times when I need it. I would like to have one more Wilson trimmer. I have to feed an M1 Garand a couple times a year (100-150 rounds each time). It would ease that process and this holder gives me that flexibility. Maybe one day I'll come across another in some kind of horse trading deal.
    Last edited by mew; 03-22-2018 at 08:44 AM.