Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lube

Boolit Buddy

Lube

Anybody tried the black powder lube that white label currently carries? Thoughts?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by holsterguy View Post
    Anybody tried the black powder lube that white label currently carries? Thoughts?
    Make yr own - its not that difficult - 50/50 beeswax and neatsfoot oil works for me - getting a boolit that carries enough is more important than the superdooper fantastic recipes I reckon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by holsterguy View Post
    All their products work well , but I prefer to make my own .Gateo#1 works great not costly and since I roll my own I also enjoy making the lube that gets applied !

Boolit Grand Master

There is a sticky with lube recipies - and BP lube is the easiest to make. I use a modified Emmert's (Lanolin added) for all my BP and pistol shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I use either spg or emmerts improved for my bpcr rifles. These can really test a lube and the lube capacity of a bullet, since barrel lengths run out to 34".
    Emmerts Lube
    50% Beeswax
    40% unsalted Crisco shortening
    10% canola or olive oil

Emmerts improved lube
    50% beeswax
    40% unsalted Crisco shortening
    5% canolas or olive oil
    5% anahydrous lanolin
    I have thought about trying JoJoba oil in place of the canola oil but haven't got around to it yet.

In a double boiler melt beeswax Crisco and oil together when liquid add lanolin if making improved. I have added 2-3 drops of murphies oil soap to help blend the ingrediants together. One all is melted and liquid I "cook" for 5-8 minutes stirring to blend it well. The double boiler is nice as it helps prevent fires and scorching of the lanolin.

One thing to watch is when wiping or cleaning between strings Is how the patch feels going thru the bore. It should feel slippery and slide thru. Fouling should have a wet or greasy look to it, feeling soft and mushy. If the patch starts feeling gritty or crusty the last few inches of the bore, or is dry and crusty hard feeling on the patch you may need more lube. Also watch the lube star at the muzzle It should be wet and greasy looking not dry and crusty.
    Last edited by country gent; 03-21-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: oops

Banned

gato feo is easy to make, cheaper than any store bought lube, and just as effective if not more effective. i use it for bpcr greasers and trad ml patch lubing.

Boolit Buddy
    fouling/lube mix can be soft if there is sufficient humidity in the air.
    if it is hot and dry, fouling will be hard and dry until you introduce water, either by blowing or wiping.
    straight tallow/wax lubes can look to give dry grey fouling until moistened.
    the addition of oil to a lube can help a bit, but even that will not work on its own without moisture.
    the reason is that moisture added to a lube/fouling mix makes a soap.
    harder lubes will go further up the barrel than softer ones, but be leave a thinner coating.
    you have to experiment with lube hardness for weather temp and barrel length, going as soft as possible but not too soft.
    different hardness requirements can occurr from summer to winter.
    having tried some pretty fancy lubes bought and made, there seems to be little to no avantage to them over the types already mentioned in this thread.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Banned

... or just use ppb's.

Boolit Buddy
    breech seated.

Boolit Grand Master

... but with BP you would still need a grease cookie, thus lube!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    ... but with BP you would still need a grease cookie, thus lube!
    no grease cookies needed - or wanted.

Boolit Buddy
    depends on what you are doing.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    depends on what you are doing.
    keep safe,
    bruce.
    yep - hunter's get a grease cookie benefit, but typically not so for targeteers where it can be a negative of sorts.

Boolit Buddy
    rfd,
    bear hunters in particular might benefit from a really good grease wad!
    other than that the kiss principle remains the dominant factor.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

LUBE....LUBE....I'm a lubeoholic to use or not to use that is the question........

I took Brent Danielsons advice while at a match several years ago to eliminate the lube wad. Well I worked with it on and off since but there is always the wandering bullet I think that there is a little gremlin that like to aggravate me that seems to give that bullet a push out of a fine looking group now and then. I think the lube helps seal holding the gas back because I see a lot less wandering bullet holes through the paper.
    I us it both ways loading but it takes more then just a wet and a damp patch wiping between shots and this increases as the barrel get hotter in mid summer.
    Just a mix of wax and peanut oil works as well as anything for lube. I personally like a mix using Soy wax or Ozokerite wax for the carrier and Vaseline with real coca butter to get the temper I like. I like it very soft almost like warm butter.
    I weigh out 280 oz. of lube and melt it in a 12" round cake pan my Wife misplaced some place with a inch of water on a hot plate and let it cool. This gives me a uniform 1/8" thick lube slab. Using lube I think it's like Charlie's little friend Linus with his security blankie.
    Kurt

Banned

NO lube cookie, no thank you, takes up far too much powder room and i want my .45-70's to become virtual .45-90's.

I like my .45-70 girley gun just the way it is If I need more powder I use the .45-90

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I like my .45-70 girley gun just the way it is If I need more powder I use the .45-90
    ouch, kurt - that smarted.

Cant do nothing else except plow snow when this is coming down. I cant hardly see my 130 yard back yard target. Here I thought all this was over.

Attachment 217031

Has anyone used white label's bo lube?