RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington Rolling Block shotguns, could or should you convert them?

Remington Rolling Block shotguns, could or should you convert them?

So, there are a couple RRB shotguns on an auction. I am really intrigued by the simple action.

I am no expert, but can see a bit of difference in the two actions. they are of similar size but slightly different features.

One, a 16ga, has a shotgun type of butt plate. While the other, a 20ga, has a crescent plate.

The pictures are very vague and of only the profile. Kind of a pig-in-a-poke for a neophyte like myself.

If a person were to get these, would they be candidates to rebarrel in a mild cartridge? Or, maybe just load slugs in a brass cartridge and play at 50 yards.

Not really much of a shotgunner.

I am all ears.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I would be real interested in hearing also. Have seen them on several sites too.

corbinance, When considering buying a gun on a auction site you first need to see good quality photos of all of the areas you are concerned about. I have bought many and learned a lot about reading exactly what the seller is telling you and if there are good pics look them over really close for things that don't belong. Contact the seller with questions and ask for better pics and if they don't respond don't deal with them.
    Buying a rolling block shotgun to convert to a rifle can be done but remember the breech block and extractor are made to fit a giant sized shotshell and if you want to build something Mutch smaller like a small pistol cartridge I would look for a rolling block better suited.
    Also shotguns don't have any sights plus the forend is fit to the large diameter barrel and if your planning on a rebarrel do you want a barrel with that heavy of profile and f not you will need a different forend.
    If you are planning on doing all the work yourself sometimes you can come up with a plan and the many hours spent modifying and adding parts might make sense but if your paying someone else to do the work and don't have the parts lying around or available at low cost it will cost a lot to make big changes.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

You will need a barrel an extractor a breech block converted to a smaller firing pin and a lot of work. I would not recommend these for anything other than a B/P cartridge with either B/P or equivallant loads. It would be much simpler to get a rolling block rifle from Allan's Armoury to start with, and the price wouldn't be that much different.

Not all Rolling Block shotguns are the same! Depending on whether they were original factory shotguns, or factory reworked to shotguns. If they started life as a factory sporting model shotgun they are a gorgeous and rare specimen, and I wouldn't rework one myself. But there are numerous examples of the reworks done by both Remington and Husqvarna that I wouldn't hesitate to use as a receiver for a single shot project. These are often referred to as "Foragers" and the Swedes loved them. They were reworked for their equivalent of our game wardens to carry in the field, and usually are in .20 ga., but I have seen some in 16 ga. also.
    Here's an example of a Forager on GB:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/758078402

Here's a factory shotgun that shows the obvious sporting style wood, and the receiver with groove in the top
    http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...9D4E5E.cfusion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	478.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	216809

Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts.

If the picture comes through, you will have about as much information as I have. Not much hope of gaining more information. They do not appear to be anything high class or super collectible but just general closet firearms that have seen a good bit of field time.

This auction house is not likely to have much time to waste on these relics, as they generally deal in firearms bringing 10-100+ times what these are going to sell for. Not many views on them and I thought that I may be able to purchase these inside my budget constraints.

If anything was done by me, it would be by me as opposed to hiring it out. It kind of sounds like these would not make a super easy conversion and for my skill level, BP brass shot shells may be the appropriate challenge.

If you were to buy them you can shoot most any low base .20 gauge shotgun ammo in them and not need to use brass shells. If they were to be converted to rifle barrels, it would certainly take a talented hobbyist, or gunsmith to make up a new barrel and alter the extractor to work.
    If you get them cheap, they might be fun to shoot, or affordable enough to convert. But converting to a rifle isn't cheap if you have to pay to have most of the work done.

Boolit Master
    So, what are the opinions on shooting slugs and round balls out of these. Smokeless OK, black powder only, ???? Thanks...

Smokeless light loads should be fine. Not sure about slugs or round balls, as I'd have to see what kind of pressures they generate. These rolling Block shotguns aren't Damascus barrels, so that's not a factor.