Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: How to keep my boolits hard after PC?

Boolit Buddy

How to keep my boolits hard after PC?

I know elvis has done a test and that to heat the PC for 13 min or their abouts and it seems to work for him other have tried and it has not worked for them.
    or How long to keep PC boolits in the oven and water quench I know they say 20 min at 400 but then that softens them from what I have read/watched so far has anyone tried to heat them for an hour at 400 and water quench or is that just to long in the oven for PC boolits.
    or shorter times with higher temps?

So what has worked for you to keep PC bullets hard? just trying to see if this has been worked out other than the way elvis is doing it.

Boolit Master

Have you tested to see if you really need bullets that hard? I have run the greased air cool bullets same velocites i run air cooled PC bullets. Just as accurate. BHN around 12ish.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I've used 50 COWW/50 PB+2% tin in my 308 and got 1.25" groups at 100 at 2600 fps. Just saying

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmalder View Post
    I've used 50 COWW/50 PB+2% tin in my 308 and got 1.25" groups at 100 at 2600 fps. Just saying
    Thats what I am hoping for with my 30-06 I got an ingot from the local lead supplier and its supposed to be 22 bhn I just wanted to find a way that keeps it as close to that as possible yes I water quench my cast and I know their hard but what I don't know is how to powder coat and keep them hard after/during that PC process that's going to keep them that way. So far elvis is the only one that has a process to do that but sounds like one needs a special powder to accomplish it I was just wondering if anyone has a working solution that involves a higher heat or longer time heating them up that may work.

I ran 1 test , bullets dropped from mold at 11bhn ,alloy ???. coated with HF red, baked at 400f for 1 hour, dropped into 34f ice water. They tested 18bhn. 24hours later they tested slightly harder. passed the hammer test . I cut one and checked the center they were hard all the way through. The color was darker but it didn't affect the shooting.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Bullets do not soften after water quenching. I water quench out of the oven, just 13m total time. I get a little BHN bump, about 3BHN from air cooled.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Again - cook @ 400 for an hour then into ice water. Will be WD hardness in a day. Doesn't hurt the PC at all. between 5-600F the PC starts to come loose.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Again - cook @ 400 for an hour then into ice water. Will be WD hardness in a day. Doesn't hurt the PC at all. between 5-600F the PC starts to come loose.
    That's what I found and mine had reached nearly max hardness when they came out of the water
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    THats what I was wondering too I am going to give em the 1hr PC heat treatment then into ice water this makes sense to me..