RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25-06 to 30-06

Banned

25-06 to 30-06

I don't find much rifle brass at the ranges around here, so I usually don't have much on hand that I don't shoot. So I was wondering if anyone here has ever re-formed 25-06 to 30-06 and if so how it turned out? This isn't a necessity for me but the knowledge may come in handy some time. I've re-formed some 243 into 22-250, not out of need but just to get some experience and I started wondering about re-forming 25-06 to 30-06. it looks like a little of the shoulder would be moved into the neck, so it might not thin the neck brass out too much.

I have done 30-06 to 25-06 many times, and still form 30-06 and 35 Whelen in to 9.3x62mm Mauser and .338-06 my experience has been that necking down works out better and easier than necking up. And to me it is a lot easier to get once fired 30-06 than the other -06 family of cases.

Boolit Grand Master

I find sizing up is easier than down. For 25 cal-30 cal a tapered expander would work or possibly 2 steps 30 cal then 33-35 cal and size back down. This allows for a false shoulder to be set to fire form with. The necks should thin and shorten expanding up so thick necks shouldn't be a problem with this, but always check the first few rounds. ( Back a few years a friend sized down 300 308s to 243 and found out the necks had thickened enough they wouldn't chamber, neck turning 300 cases was a chore). By sizing up over size it allows the neck to be formed in the sizing die the false shoulder placed where the bolt just closes under light resistance.

Boolit Master

I did it several years ago simply out of boredom and having to much time on my hands while recovering from health problems. I ran the brass deep enough to clear 270 sizer ball before shoving it in a small base 06 die. After trimming I tried a couple of dummies in a Browning BAR. Needed some coaxing to chamber in the BAR but the bolt closed with little or no resistance in either an 03 or 1917 Enfield, can't remember which.

Sorry I can't offer any real advice. Much simpler in my mind to see if anybody on the board would like to trade.

Load the .25 case with a moderate charge of your choice, add appropriate slug, chamber in a .30-06 and fire. Extract, resize and trim. Easy as pie.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    When I did it I went up to .270 and then to 30-06. Up was easier. After a few shots I went to 30-06 A.I. I believe I still have a few loaded and ready, as well as some that used to be .270 cases...and a few .280 cases.... and whatever else I could try. I did have a bit of trouble with nickel plated cases trying to go up to the A.I.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

If i neck up, i don't worry about them. Just load em and shoot em. If i neck down, which is what i often end up doing, I turn the case necks. That brass has to flow some where.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It'd be wise to graphite the inside of the cases for expansion, then clean the graphite off before loading. (Or some other lube...) Just go slow & patient, should go well

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Load the .25 case with a moderate charge of your choice, add appropriate slug, chamber in a .30-06 and fire. Extract, resize and trim. Easy as pie.
    And here I thought I was the only one who did this. 22-250 to .250 Sav, .243 to 7-08, 30-06 to .35 Whelen Imp, the most extreme was 7mm mag to .358 Norma. Wear eye protection and plink them at close range as there will be no accuracy obviously.

Boolit Master
    I have found .25-06 to be scarce and .270 to be a dirge.

Better to do .270 up to .30-06. The added length of the .270 ensures you will have your ‘06 cases the length you desire from the get go. The .25-06 will likely end up short and you are working the .25 caliber necks much harder than the intermediate .270 necks would be.

I have .270 a plenty and am looking for .25-06. Wanna do some trading?

Three44s

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I have found .25-06 to be scarce and .270 to be a dirge.

Better to do .270 up to .30-06. The added length of the .270 ensures you will have your ‘06 cases the length you desire from the get go. The .25-06 will likely end up short and you are working the .25 caliber necks much harder than the intermediate .270 necks would be.

I have .270 a plenty and am looking for .25-06. Wanna do some trading?

Three44s
    What he says, post in swapping and selling, I think you'll find your 25-06 brass is worth more than an even trade for 06.

Banned

I don't need to re-form 25-06 into 30-06 it was just a search for info. Like re-forming 243 into 22-250, I had to turn the necks and anneal them after re-forming. Just wanted to learn another aspect of the sickness. Same thing here, I've re-formed several 270's into 30-06, I don't need the 30-06. I was just wondering how feasible it might be. Thanks for all of the replies, much info I can use in the future.

I owned a 25-06 for a couple decades, long enough to completely shoot out not one but TWO barrels and I never considered expanding 25-06 to 30-06.

I have a several hundred 30-06 virgin cases I have yet to Use, but then again I also have a virgin barrel
    I'm about to swap onto my R700 30-06....

And slightly more than 1K cases dedicated to my Semi-auto 30-06...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I owned a 25-06 for a couple decades, long enough to completely shoot out not one but TWO barrels and I never considered expanding 25-06 to 30-06.

I have a several hundred 30-06 virgin cases I have yet to Use, but then again I also have a virgin barrel
    I'm about to swap onto my R700 30-06....

And slightly more than 1K cases dedicated to my Semi-auto 30-06...
    Semi-auto 30-06, is that the venerable M1 Garand? Always wanted one, but can't afford it on disability. So that's one dream I can keep.

Banned
    tankgunner59,

At least here in TX, .25-06 is fairly uncommon when compared to .30-06 & you can probably trade your .25-06 for clean/deprimed .30-06 cases.

Every year, during the "run up" to deer season I pick up hundreds of .30-06 cases "for the taking" at 2 local ranges at day's end. = Over 500 in <2 days last fall.
    (I reform .30-06 into 9.3x62mm cases.)

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    WHY? I like playing in my reloading room but makeing 30/06 brass seems like a real waste of time. I believe it is the most common caliber. If it isn't there is still a LOT of brass out there. If you are going to change one piece of brassm, that is a learning process. If you want brass to shoot then you want to use common brass to form hard to find or rare brass. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post

This is it. Good to anneal first. I use shotgun powder, cornmeal filler and a wax plug for fireforming. Super easy and a sure fit when you're done.

Banned

Thanks to everyone for the input. I am not lacking for 30-06 cases, I was just curious if anyone had done this and if so how. I haven't been re-forming very long so I was mainly looking to pick your brains, and I have gotten a lot of usable info. Plenty of help on sizing up for future use.

Boolit Master
    My kudos to the OP ..... many thanks and thank you for your service.

After I contacted him he sent me his 25-06 cases he had but would not take any 06 in trade because he is already set nor did he want anything for shipping as he feels he has been blessed here at “Boolits” and wanted to pay it forward!

An outstanding member I must say,

Best regards and Happy Easter!

Three44s

Boolit Bub
    You might want to just consider buying 50-100 once fired 30-06 brass cases from a number of websites or at gun shows.
    The prices can be really a bargain. It will save the need to form and then fire form to your chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast