Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Trimming 17 HMR 17 WSM Brass

Boolit Bub

Trimming 17 HMR 17 WSM Brass

Hello,

What tools are you using to trim your 17HMR/17WSM brass before you make them into jackets?

Respectfully

Mike
    Respectfully

Boolit Master

I have a Corbin Swage Press and dies for making .224's. I de-rim the 17HMR using the standard Corbin die set-up for the 22LR. (Have to adjust the top die to iron the rim out, turn down a turn or two and cycle, and repeat until I have sized the entire 17HMR into a jacket plan. This is because of the stroke length of the press in Swaging set up being too short for the power and length needed to size down an entire 17HMR jacket into a long jacket blank.

I use a pinch die to cut my brass jackets (from 17 HMR and 22WMR cases) to the desired length to make .224 bullets greater than 60 grains (I use 22LR for 60 grains and less, unless I want an exposed lead tip). The pinch trim die I use is similar to the Corbin Set Up in the following picture; but fits in my RCBS rock Chucker press (not the Corbin Swage press depicted in the pic):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	et2-trm1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	216783
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 03-21-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Vendor Sponsor

I made a simple jig to use with mini chop saw. Trims them before deriming.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Bub

What type of jig did you make Brian? The mini chop saw that you used was it a dremel or the one that Hf has.

Mike
    Respectfully

Vendor Sponsor

Harbor freight.

I drilled a hole in a round piece of aluminum the same diameter of the brass. I mounted this piece to a support, in my case I use a RCBS case trimmer base without any of the cutting tools or shell holders mounted to it. The hole acts the same as a chamber in that the rim acts as a stop, the portion I wish to cut off sticks out the other side of this round piece of aluminum. Down comes the blade and chops off how ever much I wish.

On the other side of the RCBS support I mounted another piece of round aluminum with a spring and a simple ejection rod, The spring keeps the rod back out of the way of the brass and the blade. After the cut is made a simple push on the ejection rod pushes the trimmed case back out of it's chamber.

Hope any of that made since. I know a pic would be much easier, haven't set it up in a long time, next time I do I'll take a pic.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

I had tried the HF cut off saw route. Made a jig from wood with a slot cut for the rim to sit in. This jig sit atop a wooden block with an end that was higher (L shaped), kind of like a table saw with a Fixed Fence which set the final length of the "Jacket" after the cut.

I still prefer and use the pinch die as it allows me to vary the length of the final jacket with a very close tolerance for jacket lengths when set. So I can make jackets specific to my desires for 65 grains to 90 grains. I also get a better mouth after the jacket is trimmed with the pinch die compared to the cut made with the saw which will often have very small "Chatter Marks" on the mouth after the cut.

The HF Saw provides a lower cost entry for trimming cases to jackets; and will allow use on other calibers (i.e. Cutting down centerfire brass for other calibers). The Pinch trim provides better quality on the mouth and for me less mess as there are no copper/brass shavings after cutting that set to migrate all over the room of you cut down a lot of cases. The HF saw is probably a little quicker in production.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 03-21-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Vendor Sponsor

Yep, I simply haven't attempted to make or use a pinch trim die yet. Will someday.

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Yep, I simply haven't attempted to make or use a pinch trim die yet. Will someday.

Swage on!

BT
    Probably would be a pretty good demand just on this site alone for a reasonably priced Pinch Trimmer in .224 and .308. (Like Corbin ET-2 cone style; not the ET-1). If you start production; I would be interested in one for .308 caliber fitting my RCBS Rockchucker Press.
    Mustang

Boolit Bub
    Love my pinch trim die too. But be warned, it has a distinct taste for human blood if not respected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

I would be interested in one for making 22 cal and 243 jackets.

Mike
    Respectfully

Boolit Master
    Another thread showed a wood block with drilled boles for the hulls being slid under a cutoff blade mounted on a drill press. Cut 10 at a time.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I use 5C collets with a collet stop inside to hold the jacket. An end mill in the milling machine does the cutting. The same thing could be set up on a quality drill press.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Probably would be a pretty good demand just on this site alone for a reasonably priced Pinch Trimmer in .224 and .308. (Like Corbin ET-2 cone style; not the ET-1). If you start production; I would be interested in one for .308 caliber fitting my RCBS Rockchucker Press.
    Me too BT.