it was quite apparent this clown had no idea what a stock of a
    rifle was and I had to explain it to him
    said I have to go to HQ to ship
    needless to say I am not impressed with the people that work at UPS
    or ups for that matter
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Should have said , " a chunk of wood/plastic". Sometimes it is better to just make things simple for simple minds.

Take it in tomorrow and hopefully ya won't have such a dolt at the counter.

G'Luck!

BTW, USPS seems to be OK for me around here. They usually have more intelligent workers & a lot of them are veterans.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I've shipped a few rifles via UPS, and never had a problem, luckily. However, I sent an '86 Winchester out for some "fix it" work once, and upon its return I was told I did not need to sign for it. Huh? So, I did not sighn. A few days later I got a very panicky phone call from some UPS guy who was VERY upset. Did I receive the rifle? It was returned to me insured for $3,500, and this guy said it looked like it was lost in their system. Well, I really wanted to string him along, but he was rather distraught so I told him immediately I had received it, but did not sign for it against my protestation of not having to do so. The next day our UPS guy showed up at the door to apologize, at which I told him it was not necessary to do so as I was not bothered at all with the situation. He then asked me to sign. Anyway, that is the only time I've seen a glitch in their system. I HAD the rifle, and that is all I cared about at that point.

However, the OP has a very valid point to his post. I'm not sure how anyone can become familiar with the entire body of knowledge needed to accept shipment on behalf of the UPS, or any shipper these days. The companies need to do a better job of training. On the other hand, if an employee is told if they knowingly accept "X" for shipment, they will be fired, I can understand ignorance getting in the way of things. A peron's job can be a fine line between eating and hunger. Our son was working at an ABC store, and was told he would be fired if he sold to anyone underage. Yep, he got stung by the state (a "sting"), so he got fired. Guilty of a misdemeanor as well. As our son stated after the fact, it was not worth the stress for that job after all was said and done, since it was his job to even monitor ids as fake or not. It was HIS job at stake. So, while there is no excuse from USP for such as the OP described, IMHO, I can understand what happened. I agree with the JBinMn: tell only the minimum. A chunk of wood in that case would have sufficed.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, prob an antigun idiot

Boolit Master

hmm.. never had a problem with a firearm at the ups terminal. just needed a ffl.. that's all. I do know that most UPS drop off points / kiosks won't take firearms though.

Boolit Grand Master
    he asked what was in the package I told him parts
    then he asked what kind of parts so I told him
    it seems as though this anti gun dimensia is taking everything over
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

You are correct white eagle. Please dont get me started. I have had the same encounters. They walk among us.

Boolit Master
    I had a post office guy tell me I couldn't ship 25 lbs of lead in a sfrb. Had to look it up. They don't know their regs either.

Boolit Master

Lack of proper training nation wide. Also we have a excess of dolts.

Boolit Master
    It took three tries to get a bolt action shot gun to Texas VIA UPS. They kept sending it back to me. When it finally got to the intended, his UPS driver said he had never seen the box.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Sent a box full of 45-70 brass to a member here a few years ago - counter person asked what was in the box - I said "A bunch of Brass tubing"....

Boolit Master

I try to avoid shipping via UPS like I'd avoid the rear end of a manure spreader. Been that way was since the RETAIL MANAGER (that was the title on his ID badge) at our local UPS hub told me I couldn't ship a barreled action back to the manufacturer (warranty issue) without an FFL, even though the manufacturer had provided a prepaid UPS label...and this was six or seven years ago, before they became totally 'gun shy'.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I sent a rifle to a gunsmith via USPS to New Hampshire. I had printed out the regs before I left the house, chapter and verse, and sure enough, the man said that I couldn't send it. I was very polite, as I had done my studying, and asked the guy to please get his reg book out and turn to page such and so. He did , and was very surprised. The rifle went off as planned, with a whole lot of insurance o it.

As for UPS, my local driver and I trade handguns all of the time...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Never have anything shipped to Canada from the U.S. via the brown truck, they usually want some exorbitant brokerage fees, it is an extortion racket I suspect, while if it is mailed through the postal service the mail service here drops it at your door no charge.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Moderator Emeritus

The standard answer is machined parts and write on the box "Rattle OK" if it's bullets or brass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Just be vague. I went to the local UPS Store, to send a high end rifle scope back to the manufacturer for warranty work. Counter person asked what I wanted to insure it for and then asked what it was. So I told her...........big mistake. We can't take rifle parts, was her reply. "You have to take it to a gun shop and have them ship it". Lesson learned. Now, if they ask, I just reply electronics.

Winelover

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guntechholsters View Post
    Yeah, prob an antigun idiot
    Or perhaps just a plain old Idiot

When dealing with gun parts, I'll use UPS or USPS and keep the information limited.

One time I was shipping a shotgun back to the importer for repairs and the UPS vendor was located in a small hardware store. The guy said I couldn't ship a gun. I explained the law to him and was polite about it. He wasn't an idiot and we made it work. It really depends a lot on who you end up talking to. Some people can be educated and some people have to put their hand on the hot stove to learn.

When shipping firearms I've had good experience with FedEx. I go directly to the local distribution center. Never had a problem and they don't even blink an eye. Just a guess on my part but it seems that FedEx may have little better training for their counter people.

Boolit Grand Master
    I almost always use Fedex but the person who I was shipping to has an account with UPS
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

UPS I had a buffalo roast shipped from KY. to me here in Florida the box clearly marked perishable so the driver put it behind my lawn mower and I find it 3 days later took it to UPS and got my money back have not used UPS since and one other thing that was going to be our Christmas dinner D Crockett

Whatever you do, dont use Fed ex. Those idiots hand their packages over to the post office and let them deliver it. Even if you pay extra for fast shipping, it dont matter. It gets there when it gets there and then they'll hang it on your mail box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast