Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stirring the Pot

Boolit Master
    I flux and stir well initially, adding back in sprues and the first cold pour boolits as I cast. After casting 15 lbs. of lead into bullets I'm ready to be finished and have never added any new lead to the melt. Sounds like occasional stirring might be a good practice if just to let the mold cool a bit. Never noticed anything funky with boolits near the end of the pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Even with the metal stuff it is smart to give it a bit of warm up lying across pot or floating on surface. My 2# casting ladle is cast or pitted and it has given me "recoil" the one time I made the mistake of dipping into the pot too quickly on a cold day. Made an impression shall we say. Slotted spoon has done the hiss and spit thing a time or two also. January thaw with all the melting snow pumping moisture into the air. Imagine in a high humidity climate wood might well be pretty iffy as far as sticking into a pot.

BTW my comments are about making ingots in a larger pot. In my 20# casting pot it's just the occasional pea sized piece of bees wax to drive tin back in or the table spoon or wood stir stick to skim. I ladle cast so need the top clear of dross. Sounded like some were describing leaving a top layer of ash on the melt which I think is normal way to seal out air for bottom pour casting pot usage.
    This is true, moisture can lurk anyplace including a metal spoon. I should have added that to my reply. Thanks for adding this warning!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12