Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Les Baer 1911 Retirement present to myself

Banned

Les Baer 1911 Retirement present to myself

I'm currently saving my nickles and dimes for my retirement present to myself. I think its going to be a new Les Baer 1911 45acp. I'm partial to stainless. I want a model that will serve me well on the target range. I'm open to suggestions as to with model I should order.

I can't make suggestions, but I like the idea. Nice gift.

Pick the one you want; you will be happy. My 1911s are all plebian Kimber and Colts but the 2 Baer pistols which I have shot were truly superlative.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    That's an excellent idea !

every les bauer i've shot were tack drivers. insanely accurate guns. my buddy own a centenial edition unit...pfffft. a one ragged hole all day without even aiming.

Yes-- you need to get the one that you want. Since they're pretty expensive, and you're saving nickels and dimes, I guess you won't be retiring soon? Kidding aside, congratulations on both the retirement and the gift.

Boolit Master

That sounds like an excellent idea go for it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master
    A Les Baer pistol would make a dandy retirement gift! I have a strong preference for Commander-length slides over the Government Model/5" barrel platform. Most of my carry guns fit that "mould pattern"--full-size receiver/4"-4.5" barrel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

The one with the full length dust cover gets my vote. Monolith?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I wold want one with adjustable sights but the rest is personal preference as to the options.

Boolit Master
    If for target use I would strongly suggest the best adjustable sights they have.

Other than that the grips are the only thing I'd consider changing. I just don't like wood grips on pistols I shoot a lot.

Boolit Grand Master
    By the time I could afford a Clark I was too old and shaky to make it run like it can. Wish you luck with the Les Baer. Great gun
    Don Verna

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	216787You want one that will shoot groups like this one. That hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel and it is 8 rounds of Federal Gold match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. I have a total of $1,800.00 in the gun. The custom smith that did the fitting of the match Kart barrel and bushing only charged me about 400 bucks .
    He is now employed by Ruger at their Prescott, AZ. plant. Hopefully working on their 1911 projects.

Banned
    Thanks for all the good will. Its been a long hard run. I started working when I was 14 and when I hit 16 I worked full time since and I've got about 37 work days left after extending my stay yet another 10 work days. I can almost see the end of it.

With respect to the Les Baer.... I've always wanted a really decent 1911. yes, I've had some fairly accurate ones in the Colt Gold Cup national match 1911's. My best 1911 that I own now is a S&W 1911 out of the custom shop and well to be honest I have a more 1911's than what I need and probably more than most people. I just wanted a really really nice one. I'm kinda on the wall over buying a new one or buying a slightly used one that I found. The used one is about $1900.00 and I believe a new one of the same model is like $2695.00
    Definitely need a stainless one and adjustable sights and normal full size length. But then there is this really nice one with the blued slide and stainless bottom. There is just too many to choose from.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    By the time I could afford a Clark I was too old and shaky to make it run like it can. Wish you luck with the Les Baer. Great gun
    I've always wanted a Clark too. I've never shot a Clark and maybe their better. I figured I'd go with the Les Baer simply because they are Iowa based and being an Iowan I'm not too awful far if I need something done to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_4595.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	216787You want one that will shoot groups like this one. That hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel and it is 8 rounds of Federal Gold match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. I have a total of $1,800.00 in the gun. The custom smith that did the fitting of the match Kart barrel and bushing only charged me about 400 bucks .
    He is now employed by Ruger at their Prescott, AZ. plant. Hopefully working on their 1911 projects.
    That is a dandy S&W you have there. I've never tried my S&W 1911 from the custom shop in a ransom rest to see what it will do. It is supposed to be an accurate gun and in my hand generally one ragged hole with one slightly outside. It is an extremely tight gun and you really need the barrel bushing wrench to take it apart.

Boolit Bub
    Retirement's not far away for me also and I have been eyeing both the Les Baer and the Clark. Haven't decided yet between the two, but I will by that time. The group from Knifemaker with the S&W sure looks like it may be in the running also. Alas, more custom choices. What am I to do?
    MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Boolit Master
    Call John at 1911 Heaven for the best prices on a new Les Baer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Call John at 1911 Heaven for the best prices on a new Les Baer.
    Can't I just drive to LeClaire, Iowa and pick up one at the factory? Its less than 100 mi from me.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, you can. You’ll probably pay more direct from Les than you would from John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast