Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: just one or get 3 bullet seating dies

Boolit Buddy

just one or get 3 bullet seating dies

I am casting 3 different bullet weights but same caliber right now I only have one bullet seating die should I spend the money and get 2 more so that each one is setup for each bullet weight or just do em all with the one die?
    Is it easy to mark one die for each bullet weight then whats the best way to mark em then?

Boolit Bub
    I just save one dummy round for each bullet and back the seater stem out raise the die and screw the seater stem down till it makes contact with the bullet in the dummy round. That should set it for that bullet.

Banned
    ^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ no need to waste money when it's this easy.

I always make dummies of anything I will duplicate, and write on the casing what it is. Nothing wrong with having a couple seating dies either, if its something you switch back and forth between, like round nose vs SWC 38s. Best way to get extra seating dies is find a single off ebay or sometimes you can find a lot with some odds and ends.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rigger View Post
    I just save one dummy round for each bullet and back the seater stem out raise the die and screw the seater stem down till it makes contact with the bullet in the dummy round. That should set it for that bullet.
    This is a great idea. I'm glad I found his site.

Boolit Master
    Once you have the seater set, just measure the stem with you Caliper and write the number down in your loading log.
    You can reset the stem to this number when loading that bullet again.
    I "measure" the stem on my powder measure this way too, to return to the setting again later:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BestPicSmall.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	216718
    If you have a caliper, if not you need to get one, this is way cheaper than buying 3 dies or a "micrometer" type die.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-20-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Boolit Master

For these purposes, I like seaters with micrometer adjustments. More expensive, but probably less so than 3 separate dies.

Boolit Master

I make a dumby round. Once you hash out all the details for COL. Make a dumby round with that bullet and heavily crimp it. Then when you switch bullets just snug everything on the dumby round and your good to seat all the rest of the bullets. No need to waste all that money.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

Yep dummy rounds are a quick and easy was to start a die adjustment, but you still ave to tweek the setting. I too have a box full of dummies, one for every cartridge/bullet I reload, and they get me close, but I still need to tweek the final adjustment. Personally, I wouldn't get 2 more seating dies as for me it isn't a big deal to readjust a seating die, it only takes a few minutes to get it "perfect" (but some fellers have a different press and complete set up for each caliber they load!).

If you had a turret press you could put all the different dies on a turret and quickly swap it out and have a preset seating die for each individual cartridge/bullet combo. (I got that idea from my use of Lee sizing dies in my turret, I had two turrets with my sizing dies and just turned the turret to the diameter I wanted ).
    Last edited by mdi; 03-20-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks big time guys on the suggestions about making up a dummy round an using that for setting things up again..

Bill

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I buy separate seating dies for each bullet that I load.
    I set them up so that I can load a particular bullet with minimum fuss. I shoot several types and weights in each handgun caliber, so it is just easier that way.
    I probably have six different seating dies for .357Mag alone, considering bullet s that I load in 125, 158, and 180gr in Hornady HP/XTP and at least 3 different weights and profiles in cast bullets.
    I have acquired bullet seating dies for almost every other popular handgun caliber in multiple bullet styles and weights.
    It just makes life easier and spread out over time, the additional expenses isn't that much of a burden.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on cost. For my -06 I picked up a couple of cheap seat dies off eBay and do use a couple for different boolit lengths. Not for any other caliber - yet.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Im of the Multi-die and multi stem camp. I have 2 die sets one is set up and locked down for my go-to bullet loads, the other set is the play set that gets adjusted to where the winds take me.
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 03-22-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

One die and as many dummy rounds as you have boolit moulds.
    Since 99% of my boolits have a flat spot, WC , SWC, TC, or RF I have one flat seating stem. The one RN boolit gets the flat seating stem also.
    If you have only two boolit moulds then that's not a problem, I have about 30 in 38/357/9mm!
    I would go broke trying to buy a seating die and stem for every boolit mould I cast for, some of us don't have unlimited funds and have to go the least expensive route .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Gary I have 4 molds but am thinking of getting another flat top while they are still relatively cheep and available. I am after heavy boolit molds as I find them or as someone is willing to part with knowing it will get used.
    I have had many friends now interested in casting once they know I am doing it. So the interest is growing out their can only be a good thing for everyone.

Bill