MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Babybel Cheese Wax for lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    One commercial site for "cheese wax" states:

Contains: Cheese Wax, a formulation of paraffin and microcrystalline wax, and food grade coloring (FD&C Colors).

Google "cheese wax" are be prepared to read until your go cross-eyed. True cheeseheads (people making their own home-brew cheeses) use the waxes to cover their products.

It still does not appear like it is anything we on here have much use for.....other than creating this thread!!!!!! And making many readers hungry for good cheese.

Boolit Grand Master

Much hoop cheese still has the original wax covering. The current Baby Bell covering is different.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    This thread reminds me of sitting around discussing which breakfast cereal or other food stuff packaging made the best gaskets. And if it worked better with a little fibered axle grease, or the red grease smeared into it. That was a loooong time ago but very much the same. Complete with gaskets are not expensive why waste time with raisin bran box and a razor blade?
    I restore antique tractors. Ballpeen hammer, razor and thin paperboard or cardboard are your friends. Many times orphaned models have no parts support beyond in-common bolt on parts. On the units you CAN get gaskets for, sometimes the material is thin junk needing a sealer in areas it should not, some are cheaping out and splitting large gaskets instead of intact ( axle trumpet ), other times you have to buy an entire kit for 20-89$ to get a single needed gasket out of it. Rolling your own is really the only viable option many times. People that look down on that simply haven't 'been there/done that'.

Boolit Grand Master

Quite a while ago it was reported the the cheese coating wax and Maker's Mark whiskey sealant wax was mostly carnauba wax. I used some to stiffen up a beeswax/marvels mystery oil lube I was working with. It did make the lube a bit harder...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Used feed bags as targets, with a target printed on them would be great

I think most of the wax around cheese is a Microcrystalline food grade low melt temp (130-150 F)
    I'll stop in a cheese plant some time and ask.

It will work, but you need to make it flow a bit better with some kind of oil, then you need to make it stick to the lead.

Beeswax can be used alone, it has limitations though
    I agree, "I think most of the wax around cheese is a Microcrystalline food grade low melt temp"

I have saved some wax from a brand of Irish cheddar cheese, it had a pretty thick layer of wax. It's surely not hard like Carnuba Wax is. This cheese was an Aldi's "find", so they only had it in stock for a while. I must have bought five packages before they quit carrying it. Anyway, it was enough wax to save for something?

Microcrystalline-wax has a certain feel to it. It's not brittle like paraffin, it's flexible like warm beeswax...but not sticky like beeswax, it's sort of inbetween Paraffin and beeswax...anyway, this Irish cheese wax felt very similar to Microcrystalline-wax...it's gotta be Microcrystalline-wax.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've seen some YouTube vids a while back. Was a Russian guy pan lubing with red cheese wax and gasoline. I dint recall the caliber but it was big.. Looked like a 400-500 gr 45-70.

Pan lubing with wax and gasoline? Thats a new one on me.

I never thought of using the wax for candles. I've not made candles before, but the wife and I both would like to get into it. I've always heard that beeswax would not do well for candles by itself.

I've not used straight beeswax for lube, but i've used a lot of beeswax/crisco lube for standard velocity pistol loads. It was smokey, but it worked in 45 auto and 38s, and some 357s I ran a few years back. I pan lubed with it.

Boolit Master

Vasolene ..my phone likes to help out. And Change words.

That was funny soundguy! Thanks for the clear up. I totally was thinking it was gas, especially since you said the guy was in russia.

Boolit Master

Now.. I have heard of solvated lubes applied, then letting the solvent flash off, but yeah.. Never with gasoline.

My phone thought it would be funny to let the grey bearded guy look funny.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a $1.05 flat black paint from Walmart. Cut a tin can top an bottom out for what ever size can will make a bullseye the size you want, now make your feed bag targets. afish4570

Boolit Master

Felt wealthy one day, so I bought some 10 year old Cheddar Cheese, all I can say is YUM.
    This had the black wax covering it. It didn't seem like anything I would use so i tossed it in file 13....Next time I feel wealthy I am going buy some more and I'll test that wax out.

I like the Can and Walmart paint idea!

Boolit Grand Master
    [QUOTE=randyrat;4326019]Felt wealthy one day, so I bought some 10 year old Cheddar Cheese, all I can say is YUM.
    This had the black wax covering it. It didn't seem like anything I would use so i tossed it in file 13....Next time I feel wealthy I am going buy some more and I'll test that wax out.

OMG......I have packages of cheddar in my other fridge older than that! It is REALLY good. Remember, REAL cheese is not harmed by mold! Just cut it off and enjoy. The older the better.

If you like aged cheese, buy some now and just “forget” it is in the back of the fridge.....for 10 years. Wax coverings DO help!

I am a cheese lover myself. What I do for targets, is save paper plates, and draw dots on them with a sharpie. I normally do a few at a time, so it dont take up much time. Sometimes I let the stack accrue and do them all when Im watching a movie. Figured i'd share.

Boolit Grand Master

Beeswax alone makes wonderful candles - I don't know who told you it didn't - they must have been selling something else. They make candles by rolling beeswax in thin sheets and then rolling those sheets around a wick - easy candle if you can roll the thin sheets in the first place.

I bought my carnuba from RandyRat.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I buy my beeswax candles after Hanukah. Stores that carry those religious candles have some left over and usually discount 50-75% to get rid of excess inventory! Bed, Bath, & Beyond is one I check.

Boolit Bub
    Baby Bell cheese wrappers for bullet lube, now I have heard everything......
    If you want good bullet lube, just buy it;
    get lee lube in the hollow stick.

Or,
    if you want a harder lube, go for LBT blue.
    If you want to make your own bullet lube, that's easy,
    mix bee wax, and cooking oil in a tin can, together on the kitchen stove ,, on low heat.

The best cooking oils to use are high temperature oils like peanut, or avocado..
    60% bee wax to 40% oil, or something like that.
    The home made stuff also makes a nice boot grease, and a fine lip balm.

The Baby Bel wax works well as a moderate velocity rifle bullet lube when cut 50/50 with Lee liquid Alox, I use it as a pan lube. Needed a way to use up all those LLA bottles that came with my push through sizers (PC most things these days). It accumulates surprisingly fast when you have toddlers that get a Baby Bel every other morning with breakfast. Works well when cut query Vaseline too, but junk for straight lube as you discovered.

A few 100 yd groups, 16-18gr Alliant 2400 and two different .308 sporters. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180325_195644.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	217092

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180325_195825-1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	217093

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast