WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Babybel Cheese Wax for lube.

Babybel Cheese Wax for lube.

I figured I'd share my experiences with using babybel cheese wax for lube. I've read on forums that it is either paraffin or some sort of synthetic paraffin. Seen where others would add it into lube they were making, and I think someone was using it alone for lube.

So...... I figured, i'd give it a try for tumble lubing bullets for 45 automatic. Bullet was Lee .452-230-TC TL version from wheel weights. I melted some wax in my lube makin' pot and put some bullets in it so they would heat too. Got them tumbled good and poured them out. I poured them on paper plates. Anyways they looked alright, I loaded a mag full, and tested them. Fierce leading!

I havent given up on the wax as either a traditional lube, or an ingredient for traditional lube, but it definitely will not work for tumble lube.

~Bazoo

you need to add something, like 2 stroke oil, and maybe some grease, well, I dunno if that would work for tumble lube, but you cant count on just wax to do anything but lead.
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Great for fluxing.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    I've tried it just stuffing it into my lubrisizer along with the carnauba red. It didn't hurt anything, but wasn't worth the effort. I can neither recommend nor not recommend it done as I did it. Never tried it straight.....

I have fluxed with it. Just as good as bees wax in that respect...
    Last edited by Tom W.; 03-20-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I never thought about fluxing with it, thanks. I always have lots of candle left overs and wax warmer left overs from the wife for fluxing.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe a little lanolin and oil added to it

I dont have a traditional lube bullet for my 45 auto, or i'd try pan lubing with it straight. If I ever do, I will report back for others benefit.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You sure much eat a LOT of those little rounds of cheese! I bought a bag of it at Costco 6 months ago and over 1/2 is still in the fridge! Not my cup-o-cheeze.

Boolit Master

I'm one of those that uses the wax for fluxing.
    I'll break it into small balls for using in the casting pot, leave it in halves to drop in the rendering pot. Works fine, and it's a product that would have been thrown out.

Boolit Grand Master

It's my understanding that the wax used to be almost totally carnauba wax, but like everything else has been changed by the bean counters, to a plastic wax formula that works great for the cheese, but sucks as a lube. I saved over half a lb before finding this out.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I just melted some down and it is total CARP! May work for a flux, but I stick to only bee's wax (pun intended).

Stick with known waxes (paraffin, carnauba, bee's...........even old candles and crayons if you are really hard up) and avoid food grade "stuff" like that red covering on cheeses these days. Used to be carnauba on cheese, liquor bottles and the such. Not anymore.

I quit using witch's brew grease/wax lubes 4 years ago when PC came into the forefront.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I just melted some down and it is total CARP! May work for a flux, but I stick to only bee's wax (pun intended).

Stick with known waxes (paraffin, carnauba, bee's...........even old candles and crayons if you are really hard up) and avoid food grade "stuff" like that red covering on cheeses these days. Used to be carnauba on cheese, liquor bottles and the such. Not anymore.

I quit using witch's brew grease/wax lubes 4 years ago when PC came into the forefront.
    I quit using witch's brew when I found LsStuff. Why bother at the price they sell it for!!!
    Don Verna

Even if it worked really good......I’d have to be a cheese eatin’ muther to keep up with my shooting habit. I’d be so stopped up now way I could go shooting. Lol!!!!!

Boolit Master
    I believe it's a micro paraffin, whatever that means...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

This thread reminds me of sitting around discussing which breakfast cereal or other food stuff packaging made the best gaskets. And if it worked better with a little fibered axle grease, or the red grease smeared into it. That was a loooong time ago but very much the same. Complete with gaskets are not expensive why waste time with raisin bran box and a razor blade?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I’ve made several gaskets for a Briggs motor from a milk carton. It’ll work just fine in a pinch.

Boolit Master
    Cornflake box gaskets ,have nt used them since the seventies !

Boolit Master
    Hey I still use cut open and unfolded feed sacks for target backers, lots of nice paper that generally just gets burned, or put under oil leaking tractors . I told my feed rep the feed company should print bullseyes and deer and coyotes on the bag paper, he just looked at me like I was a little off level .

Boolit Master

Used feed bags as targets, with a target printed on them would be great

I think most of the wax around cheese is a Microcrystalline food grade low melt temp (130-150 F)
    I'll stop in a cheese plant some time and ask.

It will work, but you need to make it flow a bit better with some kind of oil, then you need to make it stick to the lead.

Beeswax can be used alone, it has limitations though

cheese wax in my book is good for 2 things My son when he was a kid would ask if we could save it to make candles out of and 2 it good for fluxing the pot of lead that is all the uses I have come across that works D Crockett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast