WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 3 Remington model 11's shoot sporting clays

Boolit Master

Cool 3 Remington model 11's shoot sporting clays

This past Sunday 3 "old guys" took 3 older guns shooting. About a year ago I saw a Model 11 12 ga on our bulletin board for $150. I asked if it worked and was told yes so I bought it. Gun is cosmetically rough but mechanically sound, made in 1909 and 100% reliable. My friend on the right in the pic bought a really nice 20ga for $350 a few months back and he is very happy with his. The fellow in the middle is a local gunsmith testing out a barrel that he fit for a customer. I think we may hold the Guinness record for the number of model 11's ever on a sporting clays field at one time Our course is a 60 bird course and all 3 guns performed flawlessly, shooters not so much! At any rate a good time was had by all at our monthly "Curio & Relic" shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails model11.jpg  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

great guns, great fun! thanks for posting
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I have a 20 Gauge that is in very good shape,except someone put a polychrome on the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the post. Dad had a model 11 that did shoot a few rounds of trap many years ago, before sporting clays was around. It always did it's part, and glad to see yours keeping up the tradition. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Master

Nice pic! I have a 1914 Model 11 I shoot often.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

One of my bucket list items is picking up a nice old 16ga hammer side by side, loading up a bunch of brass case black powder loads and showing up to the local sporting clays range with it. I think it would be alot of fun since my SxS muzzle loader would take too long to load and hold the group up.

20 ga 6" barreled 3 shot pump

My dream is to show up at my local skeet/trap club with my Serbu Super Shorty. That should freak them out!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    A while back I wrote this up in another forum, but thought to repost here;

An old Remington and a little family history

This (pre-11) Remington autoloading shotgun was made in 1906, and the pic of one of my uncles was taken about ~1953.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2awqlyyov...20001.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtbvycu2vo...~1953.jpg?dl=0

My Dad had the shotgun in the late 40's after he left the service but gave it to one of his brothers soon after - after that, who knows.
    It came back to my family only a few years ago.

It was in very poor condition at that time. I do regret not taking any pics before getting it fixed up.
    It didn't have the forend at all and required a fair bit of work by my local gunsmith to get the internals functional again. Missing one or two screws as well, so replacements were found.

The dogtag is a reproduction of the one my Dad had originally put into the stock ~65 years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3nm6kft6p...20005.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gh80i72kc...20003.jpg?dl=0

After a lot of work, it's finally ready for the field again - 112 years after it was made.

... Oh, and the dog is always ready for the field as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp2hhz8d35...20014.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    i have the savage verson 720 made in utica ny 30 miles from the remington plant
    as i understand it john browning was mad that import taxes were charged for the a 5s coming
    in to the country so got around it by having savage and remington build his gun for the US market

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    i have the savage verson 720 made in utica ny 30 miles from the remington plant
    as i understand it john browning was mad that import taxes were charged for the a 5s coming
    in to the country so got around it by having savage and remington build his gun for the US market
    Winchester also turned him down to make the A-5. Foolish mistake
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

This (pre-11) Remington autoloading shotgun was made in 1906, and the pic of one of my uncles was taken about ~1953.
    Your gun looks very much like mine which is also a "Remington Autoloading Shotgun"(not a model 11). Mine was made in 1909. The two twenty gauges in the picture are 1939-40 mgf. guns. Yes, there is some very interesting history around the manufacturing of the A-5 design. I have a 20ga. A-5 made in 1966 that I bought new back then and it has had somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-90K through it. The only problems to date were a broken firing pin a couple years ago and a cracked forearm that I've repaired. Excellent design just like the 1911 pistol.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I have one in 20 ga and one in 12 ga. I replaced the fiber cushion in the rear wall of the receiver in both. It's a good idea to check out those recoil cushions. The A 5's don't have them.