MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum, marlin 1894 questions

Boolit Bub

New to the forum, marlin 1894 questions

Like the title says, I am new here. In my state they made hunting legal with straight walled cartridges during shotgun season. So I picked up a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum, my reasoning for that is that I currently own a 44 Magnum revolver and I wanted to use the same cartridge. Soon as I purchased it I worked the action about a thousand times between me and the kids lol. After that I tore it apart polished everything up inside, I cut a link from each side of a hammer spring, I still need to cut down the lever plunger spring which I plan to do when I get back to town.

I've read several different things online regarding different ammunition and different cast bullets, what I find interesting is that it seems we can push the cast a little bit harder than we can push the jacketed. One load called for I believe 25 grains of h110 behind 140 grain cast bullet.

My question is those of you that may have this specific model firearm, end use it to hunt deer, what style and weight cast bullet do you run?

Thank you.

140 gr. from a 44 is not a hunting load IMHO, most shoot a 240/250 in the Marlins and some get lucky going up to 300. I have never found the need to cut any spring on any 1894 or 336 to make it function ( I do have more than a couple) be very careful when you start chopping from something some one on the web recommended.

Hope it all works out for you.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have that rifle, so not much help there, but there are a lot of really sharp guys here to help you out. Just want to say welcome to the site, and to the addiction.

I have that rifle and I bought it used and what ever I put in it I have no problems and did nothing to the gun or springs. Why you need to cut the springs for? I shoot 240grs up to 310 grs cast in it. I do not have any problems with it.Also it is a micro grove. I have shot .430 size boolit and dose good. i am going to see how .431 will work in it. In my RH I shoot .430 in that one and also I have shot 200gr cast i it also and my Redhawk.Why you want to shoot such a light boolit in it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I have one and I cast this for it. https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-c-430-310-rf.html Sorry I do not have my load data handy.

Mine does not like anything heavier than about 250 grains. Fortunately, deer and hogs will snuff it with 240 grain boolits quite readily. With a 44 I tend to think expansion is nice, but not necessary. That being the case, I would go for the biggest meplat you can cycle and see how hard you can run it with accuracy.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    That was a typo, LOL. It was supposed to say 240 grains not 140 grains, I apologize for that.

Boolit Bub
    I did what was recommended for the widdermatic, the cas and SAS guys usually do that to theirs so I figured if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me LOL.

Boolit Bub
    I believe in the state that I am in they require a hollow point bullet be used. Elsewise I would go with a very wide FP.

Quote Originally Posted by guntechholsters View Post
    I did what was recommended for the widdermatic, the cas and SAS guys usually do that to theirs so I figured if it was good enough for them it's good enough for me LOL.
    The CAS and SASS normally shoot low recoil loads, you are talking about hunting, big difference. But I will say no more

Boolit Bub
    You are correct.

Boolit Master
    I believe in the state that I am in they require a hollow point bullet be used. Elsewise I would go with a very wide FP.
    I have hollow pointed many a bullet with a drill bit in my case trimmer. Lead drills easy. Once you get the weight you want set the stop on the case trimmer.

If you are going to shoot cast lead, I would look for a round nose flat point bullet for smooth feeding from mag to chamber. I prefer around 240-260 gr. in weight. Also you may find that you will have to size your cast lead bullets to .432 or .433 for good accuracy. The Marlin 94 in 44 mag has a groove dia. that is larger then the .429 you see in revolvers. I had to go to .433 in mine in order to get good accuracy at 100 yards. If you want to shoot jacketed bullets, try the 240 gr. XTP hollow point. Will do great damage to the lung-heart area in a broadside chest shot. I would not use it on a shoulder shot as it will destroy a lot of meat.

In that case I would go.With the smallest hollow on the biggest point.

If you end up going factory, try the hornady leverevolution. It is the bee's knees in my rifle.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    I've seen the leverevolution, it is definitely an interesting around, but it is a little bit lighter of a bullet, I think somewhere around 225 grains? Have you used it on deer yet, and if so how well did it work for you?

Boolit Bub
    Typo, that was supposed to say definitely an interesting round, not around LOL.

Boolit Master
    I have not used the hornady round yet. I cast my own to keep price down and to be honest other then 223 and shotgun shells I have never bought a factory round. I have always loaded my own. Used to load my own shotgun shells too but with prices around 1-2 dollars a box of 25 bird shot you can not beat it.

I have heard good things about it in other cals. I know I will give you a warning. If you come across the brass and I am not sure in 44 if it is the same thing but it is shorter. I have found this to be true in 45-70 and 30-30.

I would trust the hornady LR would work well. Easy enough to test. Grab a box and a roadkill. Give it a go.

One last thing. Any round within reason will take down a deer with correct shot placement. Everyone in my area thinks I am weird since I shoot my deer in the head. I tell them I can not eat the horns.

Boolit Buddy
    What state do you live in? Iowa just started it and it states expanding, DNR said that they don't want fmj.

Quote Originally Posted by sac View Post
    What state do you live in? Iowa just started it and it states expanding, DNR said that they don't want fmj.
    I had talk with my county game warden about this before the season and told me cast boolits are ok to use did not say why type or anything or if they have lead nose from what my understanding. Check with your game warden of what you can use in your state.I was also going to ask what state the OK was in .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    I use to shoot BR, and I think a head shot would be optimal, quick kill, no meat loss.
    Of course a lever action vs a bolt action is a huge diff and I will be getting in a lot of practice over the next few months. I'm going to approach load development the same as I did with my BR guns (for the most part)..

Sac, yep, I am an iowegian..lol..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast