RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: ? on skinner sight on henry 45colt

? on skinner sight on henry 45colt

I just got my first Henry its a 45colt bbs . Looking to put the skinner peep sight on it . Was wonder if the front sight will work or is normal to have to change it for a taller one . I know some of it will depend on the load I use just wonder if I should get a front sight to just don't want to have to keep ordering different things .

If you use the top-mounted Skinner receiver peepsight, you'll need a new front sight blade that's commensurately taller (about .10") than the issue front sight blade, due to the new/higher line-of-sight - for a clean sight picture through the peep, the rear barrel open/iron sight should be replaced with either a dovetail slot filler blank (bought or made from any old longleaf rear open sight) or a folding rear iron sight.

If you use the barrel-mounted (in the rear open sight dovetail) Skinner peepsight, it will be slower to use and less effective than a receiver sight, but should zero using the issue height front sight.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

thanks I'm looking at the receiver mounted one

Talk to Andy @ Skinner (aka: the horse's mouth) about your front sight needs (Skinner also makes/sells front sights also).

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Talk to Andy @ Skinner (aka: the horse's mouth) about your front sight needs (Skinner also makes/sells front sights also).

Was looking on there web site they have recommended front sight listed for it . when I get the rear I'll order the front with it . Do you use there sights and if so how do you like them ?

I have a set on my henry and I needed the front sight also.I did need to file down the new front sight to get it where I needed it.Like the sights and I have ordered a set for my 45-70 also

Quote Originally Posted by 06ackley View Post
    I have a set on my henry and I needed the front sight also.I did need to file down the new front sight to get it where I needed it.Like the sights and I have ordered a set for my 45-70 also
    Good to hear probably be a couple weeks before I order mine . Put a set of Williams sights on my win.30-30 and really like them

Quote Originally Posted by mike69 View Post
    Was looking on there web site they have recommended front sight listed for it . when I get the rear I'll order the front with it . Do you use there sights and if so how do you like them ?
    I've liked & used Skinner sights for over 12 years, and found that Skinner's been great to deal with, even after the new ownership/change.

I've used the Skinner LoPro peepsight to make a bolt peep sight for more than a few Rossi Model 92's both with & w/o the lawyer bolt top safety.

Boolit Master
    I changed mine to a green fiber optic easy to see and pick up with my old eyes yes the higher sight is required gives more versitility for various loads.

Boolit Man
    I have a Henry in 44 mag.. it had the barrel mounted open sight which was hard for me to use. I went with the skinner it is more ghost ring than peep but my accuracy actually improved at 50 and 100 yards.

lazs

Boolit Master
    I can't help you about the Skinner sight. I went with a scope on my BBS 45LC. Some folks would think it is a sacrilege to scope a lever action, but I didn't buy it just to look at it. Killed my first cast boolit deer with it last fall. My area was a shotgun only zone up until 3 yrs ago.

I just bought a Skinner sight for my Henry Big Boy (44 mag steel). I have not yet sighted it in, but I installed it before removing the buckhorn sight and it looked to align with it, so I am sure hoping that I don't have to replace the front sight. I'll post up a report after the range on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I can't help you about the Skinner sight. I went with a scope on my BBS 45LC. Some folks would think it is a sacrilege to scope a lever action, but I didn't buy it just to look at it. Killed my first cast boolit deer with it last fall. My area was a shotgun only zone up until 3 yrs ago.
    Mine may end up with a scope on it at some time its going to be used for hunting too. And congrats on the first cast boolit deer

Whelp, I have to replace the front sight...

At the lowest, the peep sight point of impact was about 10 inches high at 50 yards so I am going from the .570 factory sight to the Skinner .650 front sight. Will try that and then report back once I can get BACK to the range again.

I do like those peep sights, though.

Took a little longer than I was planning but got the Skinner sight on and did a little shooting today with it . I like the sight and with my loads the factory front sight is working out .

Love the Skinner barrel sight for my 1956 Win. 94 32 Special, shot my best groups with the sight on this rifle.