MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Wifes AR build

Banned

Wifes AR build

A while back I incorrectly ordered a two piece rail for one of her builds. This particular AR rail uses a spring loaded cone type setup at the back by the upper receiver and I believe is designed to mate the the very ugly looking raised front sight/ gas block assembly. Now, I have never used one of these two piece rails but rather the one piece units with a low profile gas block and the rail doesn't touch / connect or whatever to the gas block.

What I am wondering i is there any type of mount for the front that doesn't have the raised military type front sight gas block assembly? the rail I purchased was a Monstrum Z12D-T. What do I need to put this on an AR (all the stuff near the barrel nut) and all the stuff up front? Sorry, no experience using this drop in rail.

Only numbers on the box did not bring up any info. No cutout on the rail? 12'' rifle length?
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 03-19-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Banned

I'm a bit confused but if its the military type fixed front sight your trying to get rid of its pretty easy to hack saw off and use a bit of black paint on. I did that to one gun and then put a longer mid length free full float forend that covered it. You can get a cheaper mid length full float for around 50 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Inch-Mid-...MAAOSwtDdac5zx other option is a new gas block and one of these other option is a new gas block and one of these https://www.midwayusa.com/handguard-caps/br?cid=17055
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    A while back I incorrectly ordered a two piece rail for one of her builds. This particular AR rail uses a spring loaded cone type setup at the back by the upper receiver and I believe is designed to mate the the very ugly looking raised front sight/ gas block assembly. Now, I have never used one of these two piece rails but rather the one piece units with a low profile gas block and the rail doesn't touch / connect or whatever to the gas block.

What I am wondering i is there any type of mount for the front that doesn't have the raised military type front sight gas block assembly? the rail I purchased was a Monstrum Z12D-T. What do I need to put this on an AR (all the stuff near the barrel nut) and all the stuff up front? Sorry, no experience using this drop in rail.

Only numbers on the box did not bring up any info. No cutout on the rail? 12'' rifle length?
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 03-19-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the standard military captive set up. Theres not way to get rid of the front sight on such a set up. yea you could grind it off, but a removable handguard is not going to provide a stable base for any sort of sight. Either drop the one you have in and move on, or go free float and buy the gas block.

Banned

my point was if you go with a mid length free float you don't have to buy a new gas block. Just grind yours down flush a dab of paint and the free float rail covers it anyway. I actually like the look of guns set up like that then with a gas block showing and a short handguard. But tackleberry is right. If its just a drop in handguard you wont want to mount optics or lasers on it.

Banned
    Thanks for the input. I figure I'll just scrap the rail and buy a different one .

Boolit Master

There is a install video on youtube for it , type in Monstrum AR Drop In Handguard Install And Review and there are several videos to choose from

Banned
    I'll just purchase the correct one. I'm used to using the monstrum free floating rail. After looking at the one I mistakenly purchased it is for rifle length gas system instead of carbine length. Its been sitting on my shelf for several years now. I'll just take it to the next gun show and get rid of it or simply drop it into the garbage.