WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger GP100 in .44

Ruger GP100 in .44

As one of those people working on a budget I have to plan my purchases carefully.

I'm wanting a .44 or .45 wheel gun for packing, camping and hunting etc...

I was thinking about a Ruger Flat Top since they are issuing it in 44 Special. However I see that Ruger is cataloging the GP 100 in 44. I'd only care about 44 Special since I have a 629 to use when I need a real cannon.

So, does anyone have any experience? I've owned Ruger Single Actions over the years and I'm a fan but I like the idea of a double action stainless.
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    Many folks really like their GP-100 in 44 Spl. The ones I've handled & the one I shot were all nice. If there is one issue I've seen,,, it's how the front sight is mounted. There is a tiny gap under the base of the sight, where is should meet the barrel. The sights are tight, and shoot to point of aim. But the slight gap is cosmetic to many, and they don't like that one feature. Some of them have no gap, and some have about enough to slip a piece of paper in between the base & the barrel. For me,, I worry more about how it shoots!

Boolit Mold
    Some time back I started shooting .44 spl in a SBH and kinda got hooked on that round. Later I picked up a bulldog to help feed the habit and not disappointed but limited on verity of loads used.
    A few months back I picked up a GP100 to add to the group. I have very few rounds through it at this time but I am pleased with this firearm and can see it riding with me at times in the truck.
    As far as the front sight goes, mine works. The gap was not noticed or thought about until I read comments about it on forums. Older eyes and wearing glasses, it does what I want.

I have a Ruger 5.5" Flat top, 3" SS GP100 & 5" Lipsey GP100 all in .44 special. I am well pleased with all three.

The 3" SS is my favorite & is shot more than the other two combined (I did change out the grips for the "Talo" type compacts).

Henry

P.S.: both GPs have the slight gap below front sight to bbl. mentioned by Loiterer & it doesn't bother me in the least.

I have several friends that own the new Ruger DA 44 Specials and they are uniformly pleased with their handguns.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the input, I expected as much; I haven't owned a Ruger revolver that wouldn't shoot.

Loiterer, I'm curious about your response, specifically about the Charter Arms. Are you saying that the limitation is in shooting "+P" loads? Does Charter Arms give any guidance in this area since technically speaking there are no factory loads other than standard 44 Special and Magnum?
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

I have the three inch stainless and five inch blued full lug barrel versions and will add the five inch blued half lug version when I find one. They are both good shooters, but recoil with the Skelton 7.5 gr. Unique load is not as manageable as in the Flattop. I cannot remove the hammer pivot pin from the blued five inch and it may have to go back to Ruger. Sights are not an issue on either one for me.
    Tony

I love my GP100 38 spl, but for the little weight difference my 44 special is a S&W model 21-4.

Boolit Mold
    I tried some 240 gr xtreme fn with a good dose of AA#7 and AutoComp in the Bulldog and it was a little much to me. I have tried some other combinations with lighter boolets like the 215 gr bayou swc and AA#2. This was good enough to qualify on but still not settled yet.

I did not have any 240s to try when I took the GP out so I have only ran some 200 - 215 gr rounds through it.

Just the size/weight makes a difference and is easier on the hands. I will load some 240s to try in the GP I think it will handle them better. In some of the things I have read some loads such as buffalo bore state not for bulldog so I will leave them alone. These two 44s have only shot reloads anyway.

[QUOTE=AnthonyB;4324231]I have the three inch stainless and five inch blued full lug barrel versions and will add the five inch blued half lug version when I find one. They are both good shooters, but recoil with the Skelton 7.5 gr. Unique load is not as manageable as in the Flattop. I cannot remove the hammer pivot pin from the blued five inch and it may have to go back to Ruger. Sights are not an issue on either one for me.

Anthony B.,
    Re-think returning the 5" to Ruger. I had one that had perfect bore (no thread choke), .006 cylinder to bbl. gap & all throats were the same. I was able to remove the hammer pivot pin with some effort using a 1/4" hardwood dowel slightly sharpened on a pencil sharpener leaving a flat end. Since it was so tough to remove, I sent it back to Ruger & they reamed the left side of the hole too large & the pivot pin would move to the right & rotate after 5 or 6 shots. Ruger ended up replacing the frame (larger cyl. to bbl. gap). I wished many times that I'd never sent it back ( I could have reduced the dia. of the pin on the left side......a small amount @ a time with 600 paper until I had a slight forced fit, but something easier to remove).

Believe me: a hammer pivot pin that is too tight is better than one that is too loose.

Henry

Boolit Master
    The Bulldog will handle, Brian Pearce's 44 S&W Special "Category "Two" loads (22,000 psi or less)....just not a steady diet of them.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/4...%20Special.pdf

I find that the recoil of the light weight Bulldog (21 oz.) is the limiting factor for me.....and I'm not recoil shy. Heavy loads have a nasty habit of irritating the first joint of my trigger finger to the point of drawing blood, after a couple of cylinder fulls. I even went, so far as, re-contouring the sharp edge of the trigger guard. A lightweight leather glove helps, immensely. Two hundred grain bullets doesn't do much in limiting recoil plus they don't shoot to POA of the fixed sights.

Winelover

wish it was 44magnum, like the S&W 69

it would be perfect with 10gr unique/240swc

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Mold
    I completed my family of Ruger GP-100 .44 Specials today.
    I now have the 3" Stainless, 5" Blue Full Lug, & 5" Blue Half Lug.
    Sent 1 cylinder off to TKCustom for a Moon Clip cut, and it will be back Monday. If I like it, then all 3 get the cut.

Boolit Master
    I was very interested in the GP-100 until I read about there weight, the price, and the cylinder problems.

Boolit Master
    I have been watching the GP100 in 44 spec with interest and have other Ruger revolvers that I am very happy with.

I am also thinking about the Smith model 69 in 44 Mag.

One of these two revolvers would in my situation would be for my wife suitably loaded. I don’t have enough 44 special brass to count and could certainly load my great supply of 44 Mag to her taste.

Three44s

I've never felt let down by a Ruger. They are good solid guns.