PBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine- I want one

Boolit Master

Been finding a bunch of once fired .30 Carbine at the range......Been picking it all up too. I may "need" to get a carbine.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Carbine prices have gone through the roof, check gun shows. Several mfgs are making repros, have not heard good reports on them. The days of $20-$100 Carbines are long gone, collectors have " normal prices" close to $1000 +, -. The harder to find mfg ones can bring over $2000 in excellent condition. Shame CMP ammo about doubled in price......
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

When the DCM was selling these for about $20.00 back in the early 60's, I bought one. It turned out to be a good Rockola. I loaded for it and shot it for a three years, but never could develop a fondness for it. So, I sold it down river in 1965 and that was that. I have not had a desire for another one.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Ahhh.....M1 Carbines. My odyssey with them also began in the mid-'60s with a purchase from the DCM. Also $ 20, plus shipping if memory serves, and showed up via a Railway Express delivery truck. It was a Standard Products model, and while I was awaiting its arrival I chanced to find a barrel full of them in the Lawn and Garden section of Newberry's Department Store for $32.50 each. I picked out one I liked and put it on layaway (was making $1.50 per hr. at the time), so when the DCM carbine showed up I found that I had two Standards. In the 80's I bought 3 more, a Winchester when the Blue Sky Productions imports hit the market, an Iver Johnson, and an American Military Armaments version. All were/are great fun to shoot and highly accurate at reasonable ranges, except the AMAC which never shot well until I mounted a Ultimak scope mount in place of the top hand guard. The IJ model was our home defense gun for years, and I taught my wife and daughter to shoot it well and kept it in a closet just inside the front door.

First one I saw was back in the '50s, and was in the possession of an old cattle rancher who had arthritis, but got his deer every Fall with the carbine. No one asked him where it had originated, since they hadn't been released for sale by the govt. Their ballistics aren't too different from a .357 Mag., and with a bullet other than the issue FMJ I don't see why they wouldn't work satisfactorily for the same distances and circumstances that handgun hunters encounter. Also, .357 Mag. lever actions seem to be in vogue.

I knew that Howa made carbines for the Japanese forces and some S.E. Asian contracts, but have never seen one before Tex's photos. They have a good reputation. There have been several post WW II reproduction carbine manufacturers that made very inferior products, and are best to stay away from. A trait that they all share in common is a cast receiver. If you want a carbine and are offered a specimen made by someone other than the original govt. contractors, examine the receiver closely, and if the metal is porous and appears to be a casting, don't buy it. I actually saw two of them that had been destroyed through normal use when the left side bolt guide ate into the metal of the raceway slot. The Plainfield models were pretty much o.k., as were the early Universals, but the Universals suffered from a couple of redesigns and the later versions were not so good. If they have a complete cutout in the operating rod bolt handle where you can see the bolt lug through the handle and a twin recoil spring system my advise is to move along to the next table. I have no experience with the new Inland company's carbines or those made by IMI, but don't plan on buying any more.

Boolit Master

Holy Cow!!! Du- uh on my part, just saw the Howa. Dont want to make you sick, do a little research on them. Howas were used in Vietnam and other ajoining countries by Black Op groups. IIRC the Thais issued them. Most ones encountered were " bring backs" and worth some $$$$. Several S.F. guys put them in their duffle bags, most before 68-69 of course. Hope that one is not a bring back.....
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Banned

It's an easy thing to handload for. I would take one out when my boys were small as a treat, only problem was they could run through ammo way faster than I could reload it.

My wife's grandpa carried one in WWII and loved them. He hunted deer with one that had a sporter stock like that, I have a rack from one he killed in '86 or '87 that was a monster. I wouldn't hunt with one if I had something more powerful, but he sure got the job done with his over the years.

Boolit Master
    I know that design criteria forced the Carbine to be 30 cal, but I've always wondered how history would have treated the rifle&cartridge if the bullet would have had a nice wide meplat on the front instead of that RN. Would most likely have earned a lot better reputation ...
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-21-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

10-X, I have researched it. It is a factory built sporter. They may have used military parts but I doubt it as all the stampings are English. The research I did showed two sporter models; mine and a more futuristic looking one. I'll post up more pics soon. The military ones (Thai contract) do bring big bucks I've heard. And this sporter is NOT for sale. I've been looking for another and NO ONE has ever seen one. I'd happily hunt deer under 100 yds with it. As stated it's as powerful as a .357 rifle and very close to a .300 blackout with 110 gr bullets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Texas, ok, good. Folks dont realize " this old rifle" will make a nice deer rifle. Have seen $$2000.00+ nazi K-98s turned into $150.00 rifles, same for many O3s. Know back when they were $10.., lots were sporterized. Crying shame today. Sell them to a collector that will preserve history, take the $$$ and buy several nice hunting rifles, scopes and ammo. Looking forward to more pics, Howas were well made.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Boolit Master
    around here we pulled the gas piston put in a solid plug. made a dandy straight pull turkey rifle. pa. you can't use a semi.

Boolit Master
    GONRA gotta Howa loong ago direct from the US Importer.
    Just had to replace the recoil spring.
    Eyeballs that they cut off the bayonet lug, otherwise Just Fine.

Shoots great with the same gas check cast bullet handloads
    I've been using for decades in U.S.&A. M1 and M2 carbines.

Banned
    To All,

My uncle was a PO3 & acting COB of the USS CHAMPION (AM-314) throughout most of his USNR service.
    (The Regular USN COB was wounded in the first combat action, was med-evacd to Pearl Harbor & the Commander "held his billet for his return." - The COB never returned to sea duty & was finally retired in 1946. My uncle remained "the acting Jack" until his ETS about 8 months after VJ Day.)

He brought home (and hunted with for 3+ decades) a Rockola M1 Carbine that, "I bought off'n a Marine, as I was issued a S&W .38 Victory Model & couldn't hit nothing with it. - I gave him 2 tubes of toothpaste & a bottle of hair oil for that little carbine."
    His comments about never being promoted was, "During the War the most permanent of things was a 'temporary arrangement', like making a sailor an 'acting something or the other'. The good thing was that I got to use the COB's quarters & was often addressed as 'Chief' by everybody, including the Old Man."
    (Btw, the Carbine, along with just about "everything salable" from his house was stolen during his funeral. = That seems to happen a LOT up in our area of NETX.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 03-26-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typos

Banned

id like to know how many rounds the old ones that I had shot or how many smiles they put on someones face. When I was in highschool I bought two of them for 50 bucks for the pair off a guy needing beer money in my dads best friends bar. Sold one for 50 bucks and had one for free. . Used to be a master sargent off the local air base my dad was friends with that ran the armory and when they went to ars they had CASES of ammo sitting collecting dust. He used to take it home and sell it to all the carbine shooters in the area and use the money for partys for his crew. Used to get it for 50 cents a box. Same price lr 22 shells were then. Buddys and I would spend hours drinking beer sitting by the river and tossing cans in (I know environmentalists) and dumping a mag at them floating by. Back then a mint carbine would set you back about 50 bucks and I saw beat on examples for half that. My first wifes sisters husband went gaga over old military stuff and talked me out of my last one. At that time they were going for around 300 bucks and I traded it for a brand new super Blackhawk. thought I made the deal of the century. Sure wish I had that one back right now. Killed my first 5 deer with a carbine using ball ammo we would drill a hp in. I don't now if it expanded or not. Never bothered checking.

Boolit Master

Tex, what a shame. Sad our society has gotten where it is today. Just about have to have decent safes bolted to floor and alarm system. Years ago good friend and his wife came to our gun clubs Christmas dinner. Low lifes broke in and stole just about everything. All wifes jewelry, grandaughters first bycycle and 1 gun safe he didnt have bolted to floor.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW

Banned

Right now there are two of the Universals in local shops, both have been there a while. I've heard of reliability problems from the Universals, but have also heard that it was dependent on when in the production line it was made, the earlier ones are apparently better. Anyone know? I have a lot of reloading stuff for .30 Carbine and with the way military issue ones have climbed in value, I wouldn't want to use one of those as a working gun.

Boolit Grand Master

When I returned home from active duty the only rifle I had was an M1 Carbine. The 30 Carbine cartridge was legal to hunt deer with then in my home state. Since having used the M1 carbine in the SE Asian war games I had no problems using it for hunting blacktail deer in the foot hills of the Willamette Valley. I had a Lee Loader and loaded Sierra 110 SPs and Speer, Hornady 100 gr half jackets. Between regular tags and doe tags I killed 2 blacktail deer with the 110 SPs and 5 blacktail deer with the 100 gr HJs 1 shot each over the next 2 years. I found the 100 gr HJs to do the most terminal damage but with either bullet type you could "eat right up to the bullet hole".

I've also killed numerous coyotes and many jack rabbits with the Hornady 100 gr HJ over the years. I also hunted and killed 25 - 30 feral goats with the 30 Carbine. When I switched to cast bullets I worked the 311410 every way possible but didn't get any decent results above 1500 - 1600 fps. I then switched to the 311359 and have had excellent success with that bullet up through 1900 fps. When Lyman came out with the 105 gr SWC, 313631, I got it and it is excellent in the 30 Carbine at 1950 fps. I HP those and it is deadly on vermin.

I also use the Hornady 90 gr XTP HP .308 bullet at 2160 fps for HD. Accuracy is excellent out of my "shooter" M1 Carbine.

Attachment 217025Attachment 217026Attachment 217027Attachment 217028
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    10-X,

When my cousin's Mother went to the hospital in Dallas for her brief final illness, passed away & then was buried at Grayrock cemetery, sometime over that week "persons unknown" backed a big truck up to her house & carried off everything that was worth anything.
    (Nell's nearest neighbor was over 3 miles away.)
    The Franklyn County SO said that there were at least 5-6 thieves, as they even took her over 1-ton Steinway grand piano. - That's been >8 years ago & NOTHING has ever been recovered.

Like I said, ripping off people's homes "out in the county", while they are hospitalized or during funerals has become all too common.
    (Inasmuch as funeral notices are routinely published in the newspapers, I don't know how to put a stop to this sort of crime. - In Nell's case, she was well-known/well-liked in Franklin County & her confinement at Baylor Hospital & funeral notice was in at least 2 local newspapers.)

Note: in 2003, while he & his wife were on vacation in Jamaica, someone burned down our county judge's farmhouse to the ground out near Naples. - Nobody was ever arrested, though the SO thinks that it was someone who was mad at the judge. - So it's NOT just weddings/funerals/hospitalization that may cause you to lose everything IF you live out from town. = Just EVIL people & criminal behavior.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 03-24-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add

Now you need a .30 Carbine black hawk to go with it, Very accurate pistol and easy to load for with pb boolits.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    around here they watch the obits. for time and place of funeral. last one I house sat with my browning hi-power and 3 extra mags.

Boolit Grand Master
    The little M-1 is a dandy home protection gun with a good bullet. It is light and easy to handle. The bolt can be easily operated by a woman or young person.

I have come close to buying one of the reproduction guns s couple of times. Prices for even beater original guns are stupid.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast