Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxPBcastco
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine- I want one

M1 Carbine- I want one

Well, I bought one from a coworker a few years back and owned it till my wife saw it and it's fancy red case. It's a Howa Sporter and I've not seen another. $400 well spent.
    A month ago wife's cousin called and said he had a chance at a Saginaw for $400. I said buyitbuyitBuy It! It's a touch bubba'ed but no big deal. We blasted through 200 rounds at Flat Rock today. Very few misses by anybody. A couple of minor hangups with Russian steelcase but oil fixed it. Three different brands of ammo.
    Now if I can find my own!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    They are a wonderful gun. I've had mine for a few months now it is a complete saginaw. Shoots cast bullets with great accuracy, however I am still working on getting them to feed and extract properly.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

That's my next project- reloading the .30 Carbine.

Boolit Master
    That brings back some pleasant memories. What a deal. Todd/3leg

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Interesting sporter , I've never seen one like it either , congrats !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

On my short list as well...just waiting for the right deal.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Yrs ago, when I had my Underwood M1 carbine, I found it functioned and shot
    well with the Lyman 311316 GCFN bullet that was originally intended for the 32-20.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    .30 carbine is an underrated cartridge. it comes in a wonderfully fun gun too

Boolit Master

DON"T USE STEEL CASED AMMO IN A CARBINE! If you do, you can expect to damage the extractor! They are the most easily damaged part of a carbine. The only steel cased ammo the military allowed to be used was Evansville Chrysler ammo in soft steel and that was only allowed to be used for stateside training where extractors could be easily replaced. Some guys will tell you that they use it all the time, but I've seen too many broken extractors that are traced back to steel cases.

Super Moderator

The Lyman 311359 and the RCBS 30-115SP are your friend here. The steel cased Russian ammo is not so much your friend, hard on the extractor. N-110 is the best powder I have ever used in the M1 Carbine. H110 and IMR4227 runs a close second place. I love my 30 M1, wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Boolit Master

$400 for a Saginaw is a DEAL if all as issued.

Personally, id just go ahead and source a couple replacement extractors and enjoy the ammo savings.

By the way, my wife wants an M1 too. I like the look of the sporter, never seen anything like that.

Super Moderator

And... source an M1 Carbine bolt tool too if you continue to shoot steel cased ammo, cause you'll need it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    $400 for a Saginaw is a DEAL if all as issued.
    Bubba cut the wings off the front sight and vee-notched the long range apeture. While he was at it he file checkered the forend. Still worth $400 IMO!
    Thanks for the steel case warning, guys.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    And... source an M1 Carbine bolt tool too if you continue to shoot steel cased ammo, cause you'll need it!
    He's right about the bolt tool as it's difficult......almost impossible......to disassemble it otherwise.

I have an M1 carbine clone that developed a rather nasty tendency to dump the entire magazine when the trigger was pulled. Turned out the firing pin was bent, causing it to stick and voila! Uncontrollable full auto. Check that firing pin on occasion to make sure it's not stuck!

I love the M1 carbine. Short,light and deadly accurate to 200+ yards. The Lyman 311359 with H110 works well for me. I still have my Rockola that I got through the DCM for $20.00 in 1963. Since then a Winchester and a Saginaw S'G have followed me home. I didn't intentionally collect M1's, it just happened.

Super Moderator

[QUOTE=3006guns;4323017]He's right about the bolt tool as it's difficult......almost impossible......to disassemble it otherwise.

It's not impossible, but unless you really like blood blisters and have a lot of time on your hands..it's totally doable! Ask me how I know... And +1 on getting some spare parts. Extractors, firing pin, etc. Fulton Armory is a good source for parts for the M1 Carbine.

Banned
    To All,

In the "FWIW Department", I was told by a CMP guy that the CMP has received another large load of carbines in from a Filipino storage facility. = NOT yet unpacked out of the sealed crates, btw.
    (I don't particularly like the .30 carbine for hunting anything bigger than our TX coyotes, so I don't have a dog in the fight but I thought some here would like to know.)

The ONLY M1 carbine that I'd like to acquire is a Johnson in his .22 Spitfire wildcat. = I think that one of his "paratrooper carbines" would be quite handy.
    (I've "toyed about with" finding a service-able M1 carbine receiver, a NICE-quality replica GI folding "paratrooper" stock, the other required parts & then having a GI-clone barrel made in the .22 CF round but haven't gotten around to it.)

One reason that I've never "gotten around to" that project is my fondness for the Remington Model 7615P in 5.56 NATO that is about the same size & in a more potent caliber.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 03-18-2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: typos

Boolit Master
    Bought a Saginaw Sg years back for $500. Stock had seen better days. Dealer lady right behind the guy I got the carbine from fixed me up with an unissued beech or birch stock and handguard. Fun to shoot and there is always someone who has never shot one so usually end up letting them shoot mine. Only had one guy do it rapid fire. Told him no more free rides. Range officer who the shooter was and he almost lost his range rights. I usually go through about 100 rds of PMC I've had for years. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I had an IBM that my grandfather gave me. As a stupid teenager, I traded it away for a remote control race car. (I can't believe I just admitted that in public) Over the years I remembered it being fun to shoot and desired another but never found one I felt was affordable.
    A few years ago I ran across a commercial carbine for a good price that included several mags and a fair amount of ammo so I grabbed it up. It sat in my safe until this past Dec when I finally took it to our lease. I had picked up an additional 200 rounds on the way out of town. Long story short, I now have about 500 rounds of empty brass. They are an absolute blast to shoot!
    I bought a 311359 from a member a couple months ago and was gifted about another 150 pieces of brass from another member. I cast up a few hundred boolits and decided to powder coated them to keep the gas system cleaner, just need to get them stuffed back in the cases.
    I don't really care for the bright colored powder coat and was playing around with a copper color. I ended up throwing in some black and they look like dirty grease. I'm not crazy about the aluminium gas checks but they'll do until they're gone. Can't wait to get them loaded, it's gonna be a hoot!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180318-223300.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	216687
    Last edited by MDC; 03-18-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast