Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine- I want one

Banned
    bob208,

GOOD PLAN, imo.

yours, tex

Here are some more pics. The mixture of plum and blue suggests reblued GI parts on a new receiver perhaps?
    Three 30 caliber carbines; yet when I think of "30 carbine"- I think of the Win./Williams style. I forgot to include the 5 rd factory mag in the pics.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here's some good info on Howa M1 Carbines:
    www.m1carbinesinc.comcarbine_howa.html

Boolit Master
    Link don`t work.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Google "howa m1 carbine" is how I found it.

Hey Tex, what's that nice looking little lever action?

Asking because I bought a Win. '73, Uberti '73, and a bargain Armi San Marco (having to gunsmith it a bit, doesn't feed well!), all in .44-40. Looking now to buy a .45 LC carbine or maybe 24" rifle. Will probably go with Uberti, but now Chiappa has one out, and I saw an older (2002) Rossi the other day that was tempting. Looking for general feedback on current and past .45 carbine/short rifle replicas.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 03-25-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hey Tex, what's that nice looking little lever action?
    That's Dad's old Win 94 he bought before I was born. It's mid 50's vintage and I was in my mid fifties before I killed a deer with it.
    He gave it to me before that. Dad was always working too much to hunt and we veiwed our land as a sanctuary. My brothers and I bought our own bolt actions to hunt with so the 94 sat around. I love killing called in turkeys with cast boolits using it. I added the 5D sight and sling swivels and I love hunting with it. Dad's 88 and still active but his ranch rifle now is a 1894CL Marlin .218 Bee with a 4x Tasco; he shoots it well.

Whoa! Looks like new! Dad must take good care of his rifles. (So do I!) I've got my dad's '94 .30-30 as well, LNIB, but not the one I would like to have owned. He bought a very used one back around 1952. Not a bit of bluing remaining, but not rusty either. He polished the metal up a bit and refinished the stock, which was walnut but a very light walnut, and it came out almost blonde. The light stock and the white metal got lots of favorable comments, but he sold it when he sold his ranch. Later in life, in the '70s, he bought a new one. He probably shot it twice in the gravel quarry near where he lived, probably not a box of shells total. He passed away in '95 and I got it, still have it, never shot it. But, I've got some "shooters" also. Not having shot it is just because I've never gotten around to doing it.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 03-25-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Uberti's are very nice. I would choose another 73 or a Marlin 1894 for your .45. Every Rossi 92 I've owned needed some action work but all were very accurate. I've always preferred Marlins but I'll always treasure Dad's Winchester!

Boolit Master

plum color parts suggest a casting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    plum color parts suggest a casting to me.
    Could be- but I've seen plum on reblued Mausers as well and they aren't cast. I've been told by a gunsmith that not boiling the salts correctly can cause this color. As far as the Howa- I don't know. I would love to see another for comparison.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Right now there are two of the Universals in local shops, both have been there a while. I've heard of reliability problems from the Universals, but have also heard that it was dependent on when in the production line it was made, the earlier ones are apparently better. Anyone know? I have a lot of reloading stuff for .30 Carbine and with the way military issue ones have climbed in value, I wouldn't want to use one of those as a working gun.
    Don't know if it was early or late, but I had a Universal. It was a jam-a-matic. I sold it. It's a shame. cause I really enjoy the M! carbine. A friends dad had Winchester he bought through the DCM and it was rather accurate at 100 yards. About all I ever shot it at. Been looking for another for quite a while, but the $$ is too great most of the time.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master

I have a Universal Commercial 30 M1 and an Inland GI Model 30 M1. The Universal has always been a great shooter. It has a little 4 power scope of some kind mounted with a side mount base. I never have been able to get any commercial ammo to feed, only GI Ball. I have had the feed ramp polished and it still seems that the exposed lead will not feed. But I found Seirra's Varmiter HP bullets 110gr with no exposed lead and they feed and shoot great over Alliant 2400. If I need freezer meat, that is what I grab. I am not at all scared to take a neck shot on a whitetail doe at 75 - 100 yds with that rifle/bullet combo. But any farther than that and I will just wait for one to come closer.

The GI model doesn't get out much. I only got it because a friend offered it to me about 4 yrs ago for $350 (that's a friend!). Before he got it, someone had it drilled and tapped and mounted a Simmons 4X scope on it. It too is a shooter but I don't like to carry it out into the woods.

Then about 3 yrs ago another friend came in and gave me an AMT 30 Carbine semi auto pistol built along the line of a 1911. That one is fun to shoot too, but I don't think you could shoot it at night because it will put a rather large fireball out the end of its 6" barrel in the daylight.

When I think of a 30 M1 Carbine I always remember the episode of M*A*S*H where a soldier is demanding to see one of his buddies who is wounded and has Radar backed up against a wall refusing to let him in. The soldier raises his 30 Carbine and asks Radar if he knows what it is. Radar replies, "Yes Sir. That's one of those new guns that can shoot 80 Corporals a minute." I guess it depends on how fast you can pull the trigger and how big the mag is.

One thing that is hard to deny, they are fun to shoot!
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

I will never forget the one time I shot an M2 carbine! The first five rounds were somewhere close to my target, but the last 10 were airborne!

Banned

have to agree. With the right loads you have yourself a fast shooting rifle that leaves about any handun in the dust. Only downside is there loud and have some pretty impressive muzzle flash with factory ammo. But then the same could be said for an ar15.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The little M-1 is a dandy home protection gun with a good bullet. It is light and easy to handle. The bolt can be easily operated by a woman or young person.

I have come close to buying one of the reproduction guns s couple of times. Prices for even beater original guns are stupid.

Carbines, I have three. A nice Plainfield from the 70's, a '43 Inland, and a '43 IBM (thanks again Jim!). Lovely little rifles and great fun. The Plainfield is the house spook chaser.

Boolit Master
    I've got the "new" Inland model. Feeds whatever I put in it but the accuracy is erratic. Have tried a half dozen powders and two different bullets. One day the "best" load will put 5 into an inch and a half at 100 and the next time out will be a 7" pattern with no two bullets within an inch and a half of each other. Made my own no drill scope mount to take the iron sight factor out of it. I think it's a bedding problem.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

upnorthwis -- like I mentioned earlier, I have an AMAC carbine that behaved exactly as you've described. Logic tells me that the bullet is going to go wherever the barrel is pointed at the moment of firing, so I bought and installed an Ultimak scope mount. This involves removing the top hand guard and clamping on the mount. It has the picatinney-type ridges and grooves and allows for a lot of possible ring positions. I mounted a scout-type scope and now accuracy is great. Mounting on the receiver won't do much good if the barrel changes position between shots. The only negative is that it changes the balance and handiness of the carbine's original design.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    [...] I bought and installed an Ultimak scope mount. This involves removing the top hand guard and clamping on the mount. It has the picatinney-type ridges and grooves and allows for a lot of possible ring positions. I mounted a scout-type scope and now accuracy is great. Mounting on the receiver won't do much good if the barrel changes position between shots. The only negative is that it changes the balance and handiness of the carbine's original design.
    Another iteration along these lines - a study in contrasts between a WWII Inland & my rather more modernized version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9lj35k9hax...90028.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xjgad8p6...essed.JPG?dl=0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast