WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Extractor replacement on 788 Remington .222

Boolit Master

Extractor replacement on 788 Remington .222

Managed to damage the existing extractor on my 788 and I intend to attempt replacing it with one from Brownells. Am I correct in that the existing rivet is driven out of the bolt body and the old extractor removed with a precision screwdriver; etc. The new extractor is set in position and rivet placed in the extractor and rivet head supported while projecting end of the rivet is expanded against the bolt body?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master

That's the way it's done. You will need an "anvil" to go inside the bolt so the rivet can be peened over. Or you could install a Sako extractor or a PTG extractor. Both require machine work.

Boolit Master
    John Taylor Thanks for your reply! I'll attempt this one, but I'll be sending you another 788 bolt with a broken bolt handle. Made the mistake of purchasing a barreled receiver in .22-250 and using my existing bolt from my 1969 rifle in it. Headspace was slightly shorter and I managed to remove the bolt handle in my effort to chamber the round. I'll not mention the extractor replacement required on the 788 in .30-30; well, I guess I already have. 788's are delicate rifles compared to Mausers.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!